Is this a fire ant?

Sandman77

This is not an ant and there are no Fire Ants in Thailand. The Red Weaver ants are sometimes called fire ants as they are red but whilst they are quick to bit, they do not deliver stings like the real Fire ants (they are also quite tasty in a chicken curry popular here in Cambodia:-))

Fire ants of South America and Southern North America are not red... they are black, somewhat small to medium in size and their formic acid bite is AWFUL... raising a pustule in a half hour ... They build large sandy/ earthen mounds and will swarm attack anything / anyone that steps into the mound... they have been known to kill animals and even humans when attacking in a swarm...

I am a very experienced veteran of fire ant infestations ... Just hope hope that they never reach Thailand... I have never encountered an ant in Thailand that is even remotely as bad...

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 2

This is not an ant and there are no Fire Ants in Thailand. The Red Weaver ants are sometimes called fire ants as they are red but whilst they are quick to bit, they do not deliver stings like the real Fire ants (they are also quite tasty in a chicken curry popular here in Cambodia:-))

Sorry to correct you, ants don't bite, they pinch you with there mandibles then spray sulfuric acid on you, that's what burns.

Fire ants of South America and Southern North America are not red... they are black, somewhat small to medium in size and their formic acid bite is AWFUL... raising a pustule in a half hour ... They build large sandy/ earthen mounds and will swarm attack anything / anyone that steps into the mound... they have been known to kill animals and even humans when attacking in a swarm...

I am a very experienced veteran of fire ant infestations ... Just hope hope that they never reach Thailand... I have never encountered an ant in Thailand that is even remotely as bad...

Yep, they can be really vicious, and some people are allergic to the venom, like with bees. They're tiny and they swarm, so if you get some on your ankles while you're outside, they'll start stinging before you even realize they're there. Not likely they can kill you unless you're allergic.

But that thing in the pic? Like several have already said, it's not an ant.

Yes, I thought I would be smart one day and attacked the small fire ant mound on my back lawn in Houston with the mower. Since I didn't have the grass catcher bag attached, the angry little buggers got blasted all over the yard... and the driveway... and the neighbors barbecue... as they were having Sunday lunch. Took me a few weeks to make peace after that bit of cleverness.