Phuket Vegetarian Festival Oct 22-oct30

jdinasia

http://www.phuket.com/festival/vegetarian.htm

Has anyone found any other info on what is happening where during this time? Sadly my village doesn't participate but most others do!

I caught only one procession of this last time I was here for it and want to kind of map out my plans for the week+

looks like alot of fun ... having the motorcycle will make it easy to go see the firewalking and the bladed ladder climbing and bridge of nails walking and all those piercing processions!

Last year one of those guys with sharp objects all over jumped on the hood of my car!

I screamed like crazy and sworn off this festival.

And when they had the parade from chinese temple like in Thalang heading to town and to Saphan Hin it took me more than 30 minutes to get about 1 km distance.

I don't like the idea of wearing white, though.

Everyone is wearing white.

So I don't get to be outstanding Tropical White anymore!!

• 1 month later...

Chinese vegetarian festival kicks off in Phuket

The Chinese vegetarian festival has kicked off in Phuket province. All the roads there are now decorated with yellow flags that mark the festival. In the meantime the official launching of the festival, by each shrine in the province, will take place at slightly past 5 pm.

The Chinese shrines in the province are now littered with stalls of vegetarian foods, and sellers of yellow shirts marked with the emblem for the 60th-year anniversary of His Majesty's accession to the throne. Growers of non-toxic vegetables have brought out their products to sell at low prices, in collaboration with the Department of Internal Trade, which is using effort to counter the high prices of vegetables during this festival period. This selling of cheap vegetables will go on until October 30th, when the Chinese vegetarian festival nears its close.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand Office responsible for Phuket said hotels there are booked at 70%, and 80% for the last 5 days of the festivities.

Chinese shrines in the province will lift the "Koteng" pillars at 9 minutes past 5 pm today to officially mark the beginning of the vegetable-eating period.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 21 October 2006

30016991-01.jpg

A man dress in Chinese-styled outfit lead a parade as part of the Vegetarian Festival in Phuket on Tuesday. The festival that started on Sunday will finish Monday next week.

Source: The Nation - 24 October 2006