Avast

soontheplayoffs

my Norton anti virus expires in one week and after reading advice on here was going to replace it with AVG. However can not seem to find any free one on the web site given here. Then checked the Avast site which gives two free downloads home and professional. Can I presume the former is enough for the average home user and should I delete Norton before downloading the new anti virus system. Any advice for this computer novice is welcome.

my Norton anti virus expires in one week and after reading advice on here was going to replace it with AVG. However can not seem to find any free one on the web site given here. Then checked the Avast site which gives two free downloads home and professional. Can I presume the former is enough for the average home user and should I delete Norton before downloading the new anti virus system. Any advice for this computer novice is welcome.

Hi

Avast & AVG are both OK. I prefer AVG though. You can download any Antivirus Software without uninstalling the currently installed one....but you MUST uninstall your Antivirus Program before installing a new Antivirus Program.

Here is the free version of AVG Avg free version

Hope that helps,

rcm :o

Download Avast Home Edition, get a registration key from the Avast site, disconnect from the internet, uninstall Norton (reboot required from memory) install Avast, reconnect to the internet and register using your key, update to the latest version, run a full system scan and you should be good to go. I did the above earlier this year and l am happy with the result. Avast updates a lot quicker than Norton which is a good thing.

Guest Reimar

Avast Home for private use! as postet already, register with avast, download, uninstall Norton and restart computer without internet connection. Install avast, ceck for a full scan on next boot and restart computer. Aftwer the scanning is finish and Windows startet up, right click on the blue Avast Icon in the lower right corner, is a ball with an a in it, click on Abouit Avast and copuy the registration key to register. Cionnect to the net, right click again in lower right, and go to upadate, both Data and Program!

We using avast in our business, as Antivirus for computer and for e-mail as well with Kerio Mail Server for more than 2 years now. Virus attack on the Mailserver vby ~3,000+ mails per day down from 2,000+ to below 20 and that is more as only good!

I have to put up with McAfee on the office computer and it completely takes over the computer at the start up and consumes all system resources for a good five minutes. Hate the ###### thing.

On my own computers I have been using Avast for about five years now, ablsolutely harmless, never causes any problems. Updates take no more than a minute of the download time - no pressure on the memory or processor. The only problem was that it's incompatible with Zonelab firewall. Some people said that it works ok now.

Guest Reimar
I have to put up with McAfee on the office computer and it completely takes over the computer at the start up and consumes all system resources for a good five minutes. Hate the ###### thing.

On my own computers I have been using Avast for about five years now, ablsolutely harmless, never causes any problems. Updates take no more than a minute of the download time - no pressure on the memory or processor. The only problem was that it's incompatible with Zonelab firewall. Some people said that it works ok now.

May you use the firewall from Kerio! This programs work very well together and even speaks the same language: Czeck! Both coming from Czech Republic

Thanks for all the advice,will download avast home and follow your instructions.

hi'

before to make the change, get the uninstall program from symantec site as

if you uninstall yourself through control panel/uninstall soft, it it will leave a lot of keys everywhere in the registry :o

and then after reboot, you can install anyother antivirus, I wanted to say that BitDefender has a free version too :D

francois

I also used Avast and had no problems at all except when I bought Zone Alarm Pro. There was a conflict. I have since bought Bit Defender anti virus and all is well. Had I to do it over again I wouldn't have purchased Zone Alarm Pro. They had a perfectly good firewall and then they decided to be all things to all people.

Hi, have you thought about using ANTIVIR ?

Download is free, your registration will be renewed automatically.

AntiVir is the number 1 download at many german download- sites...I use it for more than a year already. Satisfaction guaranteed...definition- updates within hours...IT'S FREE

AntiVir.com

• 2 months later...

at the end of december my norton antivirus programme expires (antivirus professional 2003).

i will uninstall it and install the grisoft avg 75 free.

is the norton uninstaller efficient enough , or will it leave stuff that might interfere with another av programme.

i am not very computer literate , so if anybody answers this query , please keep it simple if posible.

thanks.

at the end of december my norton antivirus programme expires (antivirus professional 2003).

is the norton uninstaller efficient enough , or will it leave stuff that might interfere with another av programme.

i am not very computer literate , so if anybody answers this query , please keep it simple if posible.

thanks.

The Symantec website has a good uninstall tool if yours doesn't work very well.

Using AVG antivirus is like having a guard dog with narcolepsy. It'll catch quite a few viruses but will also get caught napping alot. I'd strongly urge you to try Avast instead.

Review at antivirus.about.com:

If we left spyware/adware removal out of the mix and focused only on the scanner's ability to detect traditional virus threats, out of a possible 125.6 points, AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic scored 94, AVAST 4 Home Edition scored 89, and AVG Free Edition scored 66. However, when we included adware/spyware removal in the judging, the results were dismal, with AVAST scoring highest at 66 points, AntiVir following at 58, and AVG with only 30.

thanks.

The Symantec website has a good uninstall tool if yours doesn't work very well.

Using AVG antivirus is like having a guard dog with narcolepsy. It'll catch quite a few viruses but will also get caught napping alot. I'd strongly urge you to try Avast instead.

Review at antivirus.about.com:

If we left spyware/adware removal out of the mix and focused only on the scanner's ability to detect traditional virus threats, out of a possible 125.6 points, AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic scored 94, AVAST 4 Home Edition scored 89, and AVG Free Edition scored 66. However, when we included adware/spyware removal in the judging, the results were dismal, with AVAST scoring highest at 66 points, AntiVir following at 58, and AVG with only 30.

Avast makes Maple Story slow, so I had to uninstall it.

If u dont know what is Maple Story u can ignore this post.

You can download any Antivirus Software without uninstalling the currently installed one....but you MUST uninstall your Antivirus Program before installing a new Antivirus Program.

I am not sure that is true.

I have free AVG and Free BitDefender running side by side at the moment

whilst I decide which to finally use.

You can download any Antivirus Software without uninstalling the currently installed one....but you MUST uninstall your Antivirus Program before installing a new Antivirus Program.

I am not sure that is true.

I have free AVG and Free BitDefender running side by side at the moment

whilst I decide which to finally use.

The free Bitdefender doesn't scan in real time so it can be installed with another AV.

We've been using Avast for the last couple of years. Works very well, very happy with it.

We used to use Norton. I was very happy with it at first but the more recent versions seem to clash and crash to an obnoxious degree, and the endless hassle of trying to ensure our staff's subscriptions were up to date was just too annoying.

Was quite content with AVG free until this morning when it detected, but could not get rid of 2 viruses. The infected files could neither be repaired nor deleted.

Will installing Avast Home, AVG Free, and/or Antivir cause any conflicts? I would like to install 2 AVs if possible.

Was quite content with AVG free until this morning when it detected, but could not get rid of 2 viruses. The infected files could neither be repaired nor deleted.

Will installing Avast Home, AVG Free, and/or Antivir cause any conflicts? I would like to install 2 AVs if possible.

Dont do this !!! Never install 2 AV's. Your system might be paralysed.

The free Bitdefender doesn't scan in real time so it can be installed with another AV.

Thanks. I have dumped the free BitDefender and installed AVAST, but still running alongside AVG free.

No problems so far.

I did turn off AVG while I did the install.

I ran a test with a little programme that goes and reads e-mail addresses. (mailpv)

Avast said it was a virus, and AVG did not notice.......

Happens to AVG all the time on one of our computers. It just hangs, and status report says everything is ok. What it does to the viruses is unclear.

I also don't like scanning options there - you can't schedule boot time scan, for example, and it all feels kind of sloppy.

Avast for me. I managed to persuade out IT staff to let me install it instead of McAfee on my computer and now it starts up about a minute faster, and McAffee used to run the processor at 100% for a few minutes after start so everything was ###### slow.

So, that't another vote for Avast. AVG is not that impressive, and did I mention I like Avast.....?

If you need a free anti-virus, i suggest you to install symantec antivirus enterprise edition which is free and does not use memory a lot. No slow down.

If you need a free anti-virus, i suggest you to install symantec antivirus enterprise edition which is free and does not use memory a lot. No slow down.

It's $99 for a single licence.

http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat4/ec_MA...&CACHE_ID=0

It's also one of the more infamous resource hogs.

:D now I checked, yes it is not free but my version is free...It can be updated,too! I think it is a cracked one.I downloaded from.... :D Oh...Against the rules of forum... :o