Metal fabrication/ professional welding in Ubon?

Guitar God

I need some metal fabrication done, turning down a shaft of high carbon steel, welding it onto a plate and machining the end of the shaft into a square to fix the flywheel in my elliptical trainer. Does anybody know a place in Ubon where I can have that done?

I have a couple of ideas, but not sure if it will work...

1) there is a restaurant supply store across ubon watsadu / Do Home ( heading to warin ). I bought a few things from them in the past and if something was broken, they were able to fix it and I had a stove custom made / welded by them. I am not sure if they will work on something like you mentioned...but can't hurt to ask.

2) driving around near the lake, there are shops that build metal gates. I went to one of them to get a quote for a custom made metal table, but got farang price...so maybe send the wife in first.

I'll check them out, thanks for the suggestions.

I can't believe there isn't a place in Ubon that's equipped to do metal fabrication. Metal lathe, mig or tig welder etc. there seem to be enough old tractors and other machinery here where replacement parts are no longer available.

• 2 weeks later...

Hashers (Ubon Hash House Harriers) find all the little known outposts of Ubon. There is a welding training school near that pottery village west of Warin within the ring road and near the south bank of the Mun. Might be worth taking a Thai speaker and finding out if they can do or can recommend.

If of interest I can post a Google map.

If you lived near me I could introduce you to my local village blacksmith, who lives opposite 'baan yai' - MIL's house in the neigbouring village of Santisuk (hence my avatar), drinks like a fish and who has still not taken me to see Sisaket FC despite promising to do so every time I see him (at least weekly for the last 6 years). He has still not got round to putting up a frame for my daughter's swing from her birthday before last, so 85km is probably a poor bet putting all that together!

• 2 months later...

I've tried shops that make gates but they don't seem equipped to do what I need. I need a place who can order a bar of high-carbon steel, turn it on a lathe and weld it perpendicular to the wheel.

Where was the machine shop you spotted?

gg did you manage to find somewhere to do your job ? saw a little machine shop with lathe and miller yesterday in ubon

scotty