Thai food on Ao Nang beach

MZurf

I spent a week in Ao Nong. Very scenic place. There are many nice little eateries right across from the beach that I found pretty authentic. I loved the massaman curry. Just around the corner there is a nice little café that had the best mango shakes. Seafood street did not impress me much price-wise. They seemed a bit touristy. But maybe further down the street back towards the pier they probably are more local places off the one or two sidestreets.

Right across from the beach is mainly directed at tourists with tourist prices. It is hit and miss as most are western or nepalese run. But it you go to either side of the beach road heading to noppatara beach you will find food stalls selling thai food for 60b or less just keep walking up away from the beach. The same goes for if you walk up McDonald's street there are various stalls and small thai run family restaurant. The father away from the beach up that road is the cheaper and more authentic places. At the weekend there is a walking street and every night outside the mosque there are food stalls. Further up again and there are some great family run places.

• Like 1

I think you need to look towards driving the short distance to Krabi town for local food.

Ao Nang is a tourist center, there isn't really any local community. If your, like me come from a non-tourist area, then you are going to be a bit shocked.

• Like 1

Ao Nang is a touristy destination - you'd have to head back towards Krabi to find many places where the locals go. You might find some street food vendors along the sois where there are more locals than farang.

That being said, there are some excellent restaurants in the area - Khow Soy (turn right instead of left like everyone else heading to Ao Nang) is one of our favorites.

I spent a week in Ao Nong. Very scenic place. There are many nice little eateries right across from the beach that I found pretty authentic. I loved the massaman curry. Just around the corner there is a nice little café that had the best mango shakes. Seafood street did not impress me much price-wise. They seemed a bit touristy. But maybe further down the street back towards the pier they probably are more local places off the one or two sidestreets.

Lived in Ao-nang for 25yrs and while I agree it's very scenic,your chances of finding a Authentic Thai restaurant on the sea front are very slim. If you want good food and at not such touristic prices I suggest you travel out a bit. One suggestion Tonsie restaurant opposite A+P bakery just passed Ao-nang school, otherwise try the many good restaurants in Krabi.

You don't need to go back to Krabi to find places where the locals eat. Just follow the road uphill past McDonald's... plenty of places where you'll see locals.

This is correct information. Go across the street from MacDonalds, walk away from the beach and there will be sidewalk setups where you can get the 60thb gpao and/or some barbecue. Near the same location are Thai Food restaurants where you go inside and sit at a proper restaurant table, don't do those, complete ripoff.