Thailand tops the world’s happiness survey

webfact

You must have been in another country then.

In the Thailand I know, most people work at least 8 hours a day.

You mean they are on the job for 8 hours a day (maybe), I am talking about actually getting something done.

Talking on your phone, facebook, games, eating, picking zits, etc., does NOT count.

Go into any mall shop and try and get service. All the big stores have lots of people - all too busy to actually serve you with their chatter, iPhones, make up, hair adjustments and nose picking.

Most places I go seem overstaffed and yet low, very low, productivity. There are exceptions of course, but the majority are sublimely happy at work doing whatever they please, and enjoying teas, coffees, noodles, som tam or whatever whilst boosting their social life.

Sabai Sabai. Most Thais I know look for happiness first in everything - no rush, no hassle, no accountability, no responsibility, no conflict - enjoy life and chill,

Always been like that IME for 25 years.

And who says they're wrong - as Mrs. BB likes to put it, "how many years do you think you've got on this planet, grumpy?" Many Americans and Brits in particular are complete workaholics - no one ever heard wishing they'd spent more time working when talking on their deathbed.

Tell that to the farmers.

Just another example of News/business channels broadcast and publicise horrible findings touted as "findings of ""scientific"" studies" .... Talking about unemployment in a country without proper tracking and reporting system of employment of its citizens.....

Another reason for the low unemployment rate, apart from the problems with measuring methods mentioned, is conscription. It was reported in the BP a few days ago that this year alone the Thai army needs 99,373 new recruits when the lot drawing process takes place next month. Only those entering the process that draw a black ticket are going to be contributing to the Happiness Index.

Tell that to the farmers.

Just another example of News/business channels broadcast and publicise horrible findings touted as "findings of ""scientific"" studies" .... Talking about unemployment in a country without proper tracking and reporting system of employment of its citizens.....

Thais Happy With Happiness of Thai-way of Being Happy

NTN, 3 Mar 2015

d6552ed304c1fcc806e3beed322bcf2c.jpg

BANGKOK, PROVINCES – A Suan Dusit Poll of 1,200 Thai people asking “Why are you happy, and why is your happiness now more happy than before?” revealed that Thais are all very happy, but in some slightly differing ways.

http://notthenation.com/2015/03/thais-happy-with-happiness-of-thai-way-of-being-happy/

• Like 1

This "survey" wasn't the sort of survey where real people are asked in a representative sample. Looks like they just took government data and drew conclusions from that. And we all know how accurate Thai statistics are..... Given the the two parameters that count are unemployment and inflation numbers somehow indicate happiness, my question is: Shouldn't North Korea be #1?

This "survey" wasn't the sort of survey where real people are asked in a representative sample. Looks like they just took government data and drew conclusions from that. And we all know how accurate Thai statistics are..... Given the the two parameters that count are unemployment and inflation numbers somehow indicate happiness, my question is: Shouldn't North Korea be #1?

Quite obvious that nobody has spoken to the Thai's I know, not one of them is happy , matter of fact very unhappy, most are unemployed or in the military , however that's beside the point, they are still not happy, if they could they would travel west at the drop of a hat, stick that in your survey General.coffee1.gif

I can understand the Thais who know you not being happy ! clap2.gif

The Thai people I know all seem to be happy and content with their lot, but then again they don't read TVF comments.....................cheesy.gif

Good result !

Tell that to the morbid, pessimistic red/PTP fans.

They cannot accept anyone being happy in Thailand unless the Shins are rorting

running the show, the redshirts are running amok, and the streets are running red with yellow blood.

I am happy, my family are happy (we just moved into our new house) and most of our friends are happy, so who cares what the anti-junta crowd thinks ! cheesy.gif

"Bloomberg pointed out the surprising winner as a country that was not relatively rich compared to many others; the partial reason behind Thailand’s triumph was credited to its extremely low unemployment rate of 1 percent, which in turn kept the country from inflation; yet Thailand still has a long way to go before it reaches the living standards of more developed economies, it noted."

This is exactly wrong. Low unemployment rates actually spur inflation for the obvious reason that if labor is in so much demand, employers would have to raise pay in order to attract workers.

+1!

Here's one way the number is skewed, according to Bloomberg:"If, for instance, you lose your job as a bank teller and return home and lend a hand at your dad's farm for at least one hour a week, you are considered as employed."

I'm assuming that rule applies throughout the economy: Work 1 hour per week = employed.

Australia does exactly the same with it's unemployment stats

hahaha!! Bloomberg? They will say whatever you like for cash! We paid them a "fee" once and as part of the agreement we got a load of plaques and window stickers telling us we were awarded gold award for this, bronze award for that etc.. Load of b*llox. If you google 'World's happiest country" There are all sorts of findings from The Telegraph and The Guardian, Time magazine etc, most seem to agree on Denmark and/or Panama, one went with Costa Rica, Vietnam came in 3rd in most of the surveys, strangely enough, Thailand is not mentioned in any of the polls.

The lower the misery index is, the happier the economy is!

We are talking economies here...not standard of living or a personal happiness index...

Thailand tops the world in many negative categories...more Australians die in Thailand than in any other country...hwy death tolls...and so on...

mai pen rai

I do not care

I do not accept responsibility

I am never wrong

I never apologize ... no need too

I am perfect

I have a small penis

I have debt but no savings

I own nothing

So my life must be perfect

What a croc of ............

• Like 2

Complete horse-shit - the people in the streets and shops of my beautiful country (UK) are 10 times more cheerful and sociable than the miserable-faced downtrodden Thais i meet there every day. Thais are weighed-down by political uncertainty, repressive laws about stupid details (eg, censorship), and almost wiped out by debts and vices they cannot control. BRITS SMILE & JOKE THROUGH ADVERSITY - Thais winge, gripe, and sometimes lash out ! 'Happiness survey' my arse.

• Like 1