Domestic tourism may be under 10 per cent target

Thaivisa News

Bangkok: – Tourism Authority of Thailand has voiced concern about the slow growth rate of domestic tourism due to the volatile economy.

All 35 TAT offices nationwide are conducting a comprehensive survey to gauge the travelling plans of local visitors for Songkran holidays on April 11-to-15, TAT deputy governor AnupharpThirarath said.

The survey is meant to reassess and map out this year’s projection of tourism businesses generated by Thais, Anupharp said.

The data would be collected on advance bookings for tour buses, domestic flights and hotel rooms so as to enable TAT authorities to get a true picture of how the slackened economy would impact on Songkran travels.

The TAT deputy governor said Songkran would be a key indicator whether the 10 per cent target could be achieved for domestic tourism.

He said domestic market for tourism should continue to grow although this might happen at a slower pace than previously anticipated.

The positive factor about a Songkran tradition to visit hometown should help to offset the consumer’s low confidence in the economy, he said.

Thais from the Northeast are always keen to return and celebrate Songkran at their homes. Local visitors would flock to popular water-splashing festivals in Chiang Mai and other northern provinces.

The Songkran travels are expected to spur the economy as visitors would buy gifts for families.

Based on last year’s TAT survey of 63,060 respondents, the most popular reason for domestic tourism is to pay a visit family members and friends, followed by Buddhist religious retreat and vacationing.

The Northeast is the most popular destination for local visitors, followed by the Central Region, Bangkok, the East, the upper North, the lower North and the South.

The TAT survey last year lists visiting family and friends was the most popular reason for domestic tourism.

Sorry folks but I don't equate going to visit family as tourism.

At age 19 I moved away from home for work and for something like 10 years went back every month, at first, then started stretched it to whenever ' free ' and no unused excuse was available, but at no time ever considered I was a tourist. It simply became a routine, a duty parade.

I suspect it's just part of TAT'S normal procedure to define anything as whatever best suits their propaganda purposes.

How many This going home for New Year and Songkran regard themselves as tourists only someone travelling home ?

• Like 1

How can it be that Thailand tops the world Happiness survey and fail to see domestic tourism grow 10%?

With almost zero unemployment and the NCPO expecting 2015 GDP growth of 4%, Thais should be taking more and longer holidays to spend their economic wealth. But I hope TAT can gather enough data to better understand the situation of tourism in Thailand, as that should be an area that it has already specialized!

• Like 1

If TaT could just get more Somchais to take a bus from Udon to Nahkon to visit relatives tourism would explode.

When I visit Thailand I spend 30,000 baht per month just with Avis. That's before I leave the airport, but I guess they don't value us anymore.

Edited by NeverSure