Crackdown On Anti-Thaksin Movement

george

Prem at 84 86 can hardly be seen as an active politician - with any personal agenda.

please excuse my correction... :o

Many Thanks ... so he is even less likely to have a personal agenda here, than I had suggested.

If only DL could learn to accept constructive criticism, from his party-members & friends or elsewhere, rather than automatically slagging off the bearers of alternative opinions.

And why does he assume that older people know nothing ?

Oh my God - I'm turning into Victor Meldrew ! :D I really don't believe it ! :D

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prem at 84 86 can hardly be seen as an active politician - with any personal agenda.

please excuse my correction... :o

Many Thanks ... so he is even less likely to have a personal agenda here, than I had suggested.

If only DL could learn to accept constructive criticism, from his party-members & friends or elsewhere, rather than automatically slagging off the bearers of alternative opinions.

And why does he assume that older people know nothing ?

Oh my God - I'm turning into Victor Meldrew ! :D I really don't believe it ! :D

The PM calling Anand and Pa Prem as senile, old men was very disrespectful, but it hasn't gone unnoticed, as evidenced by the punishment of being "grounded" to his room... (as per Post #180, anyway).

:o)-->

QUOTE(:D @ 2006-09-03 23:50:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And...you call yourself oldAsiahand?

What is it about politics in any Asia country that one could be CERTAINLY sure of whatever one is talking about and that even goes to one whom is in the game!?

And you call yourself what? OldAsiaHand? Maybe time for you to retire Mr. Old

Have a fruitful and fullfilling life...don't get involve in any politics in any country; but would be good to stay in the know of whatever's going on.

Cheers.

I've been here 35 years, known dozens of cabinet members, and four PM's. How about you, smart guy?

You seem to be so well informed about the local scene, I figure you must really be plugged in, vastly better informed than you tiny number of posts would suggest. I must say it's clever of you to disguise your connections behind such ignorant ranting, however. Very clever indeed. But don't worry. Your secret is safe with me.

Watching you bunch of sweethearts desperately trying to say whatever you figure you're supposed to say to fit into this little Third World rathole is the best show in town. Not an intelligent thought in the lot of you. Come to think of it then, you may have come to the right place after all.

Interior Minister threatens legal action if PAD's northern rallies provocative

Caretaker Interior Minister Kongsak Wantana Monday threatened to use drastic measures against the People's Alliance for Democracy if its planned rallies in northern provinces turn provocative.

Kongsak said he did not want to seek confrontations and clashes between the protesters and supporters of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

As a result, he has instructed the provincial governors and district chiefs as well as other government agencies concerned to keep a close watch on PAD rallies in northern provinces.

"I don't know why Sonthi Limthongkul will do that," Kongsak said.

"If there are provocative attempts, we will have to use drastic measures to deal with both sides to avoid clashes."

- The Nation

Caretaker Interior Minister Kongsak Wantana Monday threatened to use drastic measures against the People's Alliance for Democracy if its planned rallies in northern provinces turn provocative.

Kongsak said he did not want to seek confrontations and clashes between the protesters and supporters of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

As a result, he has instructed the provincial governors and district chiefs as well as other government agencies concerned to keep a close watch on PAD rallies in northern provinces.

"If there are provocative attempts, we will have to use drastic measures to deal with both sides to avoid clashes."

- The Nation

If it were not so dangerous it would be amusing that a member of the government would threaten to use drastic measures against a group that has repeatedly shown that it can organise extremely peaceful mass protests.

- The Nation

Keep a close watch on PAD rallies... :o instead of providing adequate security to prevent the usual and expected pro-Thaksin crowd from rushing in.

Yeah thats very true, in any true democracy police would be provided to ensure that demonstrators can demonstrate and voice their opinions without being hassled by those that disagree. However in Thailand at present it seems the state is more interested in bullying anyone that wants to make public their dissatisfaction with the administration.

What will be the criminal Thaksin's last throw of the dice?

As PM he is immune from prosecution. He needs to stay as PM

because of the charges that could be brought against him.

He will look for an event or a reason to produce

The Ultimate Crackdown not the dancing in the

bars or the closing times. Not a cigarette ban that is just beginning

now.

But a total crackdown on everything and everybody to secure his

position and become the Lee Kwan Yew of Thailand. To become the

total despot. Another Hun Sen of Cambodia or a Kim Jong-il of

North Korea. The criminal Thaksin has just been to Burma(Myanmar)

for some tips on how to suppress the masses.

Arise Chairman & Dear Leader Thaksin :o

Edited by Hermano Lobo

As PM he is immune from prosecution? Are you sure?

Not 100%-

Tricky Dicky was impeached but I am certain that I have read on numerous

occasions that while he is PM proceedings cannot be taken against him.

Hence the design to stick to the job like a limpet.

I could be wrong as I am not a Thai lawyer or J. Cheever Loophole aka

Groucho Marx :o

Well September 11 is a day in court for Thaksin so that is why I asked.

That's a point ! But that is a private case brought by an American Businessman.

Is there a difference with official proceedings ?

I stand corrected if wrong but I am sure I read somewhere that current PM's and

it could be Worldwide, have some form of protection while in office.

There must be some knowledgable Legal Eagles out there ?

Edited by Hermano Lobo

In my effort to educate myself about Thai history I just researched and found a very important figure in the 1700s by the name of Taksin, the same as the current leader, with just one H missing from the name, Taksin v Thaksin.

FYI.

A Bridge Too Far ?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075784/

The Peninsula Bangkok is located on the west bank (Chonburi side) of the scenic Chao Praya River. Taksin Bridge is nearby, leading to Sathorn, Silom and all major shopping, entertainment and business districts. Don Muang International Airport is approximately 35 minutes away by car, while Hua Lamphong station takes about 20 minutes to reach. The hotel’s complimentary shuttle boats take only ten minutes to reach Saphan Taksin Pier, just a few minutes’ walk to Saphan Taksin BTS (skytrain) station. Some major attractions like the Grand Palace, the Reclining Buddha and Golden Buddha temples are nearby, as well as the Temple of Dawn, Chinatown and the Flower Market.

Edited by Hermano Lobo

86 means it is a question of time, time Thaksin is trying to win.

Trying to buy time? :o

We are on very thin ice at the moment. :D Too many political punches that hurt. :D I don’t like it so much either, but am forced to ask for a solution as myself, family and friends are all victims of this insanity.

May positive mental attitudes, miracles and understanding leaders protect us all.

:D

Edited by ilyushin

Prem and Chavalit 'targets of smear campaign in NEast'

A group of northeastern politicians is carrying out a smear campaign against Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda and General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, a political activist said yesterday.

The politicians, affiliated to an unnamed large party, were telling people in the Northeast that Prem and Chavalit were involved in an attempt by the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) to bring down the administration, said Thaikorn Polsuwan, co-ordinator of the Network of Northeast Liberation.

Thaikorn told a press conference he was concerned the campaign would result in a seriously divided country.

"It's the work of political sadists. This is evil action," he said.

Thaikorn, who was once affiliated with the Democrat Party, said the campaign had been going on over the past two months in many provinces, including Roi Et, Udon Thani, Nakhon Ratchasima, Surin and Buri Ram.

He claimed the politicians accused Prem and Chavalit during recent gatherings of local community leaders and officials.

Recently, in the wake of an alleged bomb plot targeting caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, a group of government supporters gathered outside of Prem's residence in Bangkok asking him to "help protect" the PM.

Pallop Pinmanee, who is close to Chavalit, was fired as deputy chief of the Internal Security Operation Command (Isoc) shortly after an Isoc official was arrested in connection with the alleged assassination plot.

Well September 11 is a day in court for Thaksin so that is why I asked.

I stand corrected if wrong but I am sure I read somewhere that current PM's and

it could be Worldwide, have some form of protection while in office.

Not a legal eagle, but I do know it isn't worldwide. Also, I believe the 1997 Constitution changed the provision which used to indemnify the PM's in Thailand (For example, Gen. Suchinda pardoned himself and his cronies before fleeing the country - he has since returned and is again a well respected figure in Thailand). In the 1997 Constitution there is a provision for criminal proceedings against persons holding political position which covers "commission of malfeasance in office according to the Penal Code or a dishonest act in performance of duties or corruption according to other laws ..." It states the Supreme Court has the competent jurisdiction to try and adjudicate the case.

Gen. Sirichai meets with Privy Councilor this morning; the purpose of the meeting is not reported

Gen. Sirichai Thanyasiri (สิริชัย ธัญญสิริ), the Permanent-Secretary of the Ministry of Defence, has met with the Privy Councilor and Statesman, Gen. Prem Tinsulanonda (เปรม ติณสูลานนท์ ) this morning. However, the purpose of the meeting has not been disclosed.

The meeting between Gen. Sirichai and Gen. Prem started at 7:30 AM, but topics in the discussion have not been reported. Press members reported that this meeting may be related to the military reshuffle, which is currently facing difficulties and is allegedly intervened by politics.

Following the rotation of military positions, Defence Minister Thammarak Isarangura Na Ayutthaya (ธรรมรักษ์ อิศรางกูล ณ อยุธยา) has been accused for being unfair in the implementation.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 September 2006

Prommin raises spectre of violence

A senior aide to the caretaker prime minister yesterday attacked the government's opponents for trying to revive street protests even as the government was trying to mend fences with them.

"Certain individuals are trying to provoke violence by organising street protests and it is clear they are trying to disturb the peace," secretary-general to caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Prommin Lertsuridej, said. :o

Prommin singled out the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) for acting against the royal advice on unity.

"The government is striving to forge reconciliation with its opponents but the PAD is organising a mass rally in Chiang Mai," he said.

"The PAD and other anti-Thaksin campaigners must bear responsibility if violence erupts as a result of street protests," he said. :D:D

He said the political discord should not be allowed to infest society, calling for the new election to take place in a speedy manner in order to put politics back on course.

PAD spokesman Suriyasai Katasila said the government was the real culprit in trying to provoke a violent confrontation. "Prommin is distorting facts by portraying the PAD in a bad light," he said.

The PAD-organised rallies are peaceful and in line with the Constitution while the government has been relying on numerous intimidation tactics to incite hatred, he said.

Government tactics included the dispatch of unruly people to disrupt the protests and the use of police power to harass the opponents, he said. "Prommin is an activist with first-hand experience from the 1976 October uprising, hence he should know that bloodshed happened because of suppression by the state," he said.

- The Nation

PAD to hold more rallies against Thaksin

The People's Alliance for Democracy will hold three simultaneous rallies in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Buri Ram to inform its supporters about the alleged corruption under the Thaksin regime. The date and timing of the rallies will be announced at the Sept 15 Thailand Weekly talk show. ''Even if they hire people to give us trouble, we will avoid a confrontation. We wouldn't be trapped by the government as we know that it would try its best to take away our constitutional right to rally,'' PAD coordinator Suriyasai Katasila said. This was part of a four-point plan adopted at a meeting of key PAD members following Sunday's rally in Prachuap Khiri Khan's Pran Buri district. Mr Suriyasai said the meeting concluded that the PAD must do all it can to end caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's political influence before the next round of political reform begins.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/06Sep2006_news13.php

A senior aide to the caretaker prime minister yesterday attacked the government's opponents for trying to revive street protests even as the government was trying to mend fences with them.

So holding peaceful rallies, and exercising one's democratic freedoms, is now provocative behaviour in Thaksin's Thailand ?

"Certain individuals are trying to provoke violence by organising street protests and it is clear they are trying to disturb the peace," secretary-general to caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Prommin Lertsuridej, said. :o

Prommin singled out the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) for acting against the royal advice on unity.

"The government is striving to forge reconciliation with its opponents but the PAD is organising a mass rally in Chiang Mai," he said.

'Forging reconciliation' by sending police blackshirts to beat up women, children & old men ? Having the police arrest & charge the victims of these attacks but doing nothing against the attackers ? This must be some new and unfamiliar meaning of the word 'reconciliation'. And is Chiang Mai somehow beyond the writ of Thai constitutional freedoms ?

"The PAD and other anti-Thaksin campaigners must bear responsibility if violence erupts as a result of street protests," he said. :D:D

He said the political discord should not be allowed to infest society, calling for the new election to take place in a speedy manner in order to put politics back on course.

But surely a diversity of views is inherent in a democracy ?

PAD spokesman Suriyasai Katasila said the government was the real culprit in trying to provoke a violent confrontation. "Prommin is distorting facts by portraying the PAD in a bad light," he said.

The PAD-organised rallies are peaceful and in line with the Constitution while the government has been relying on numerous intimidation tactics to incite hatred, he said.

Hopefully the voters will see this, and know who to believe, just as they will see through the attempted bribe to Bangkok-residents of a TRT-promise to build 10 more rapid-transit lines & only charge 15 Baht for an end-to-end ride, trying to upstage the Democrats' fully-costed proposal of 7 lines and 40-50 Baht per ride. They will remember just how many yards of track were started over the past 5 years under TRT, and DL's promise to punish those people, in Bangkok or the South, who don't vote for him. Thaksin's credibility has worn very thin now.

Government tactics included the dispatch of unruly people to disrupt the protests and the use of police power to harass the opponents, he said. "Prommin is an activist with first-hand experience from the 1976 October uprising, hence he should know that bloodshed happened because of suppression by the state," he said.

'Well, it worked well last time !' - NOT ! :D

- The Nation

Edited by Ricardo

So holding peaceful rallies, and exercising one's democratic freedoms, is now provocative behaviour in Thaksin's Thailand ?

'Forging reconciliation' by sending police blackshirts to beat up women, children & old men ? Having the police arrest & charge the victims of these attacks but doing nothing against the attackers ? This must be some new and unfamiliar meaning of the word 'reconciliation'. And is Chiang Mai somehow beyond the writ of Thai constitutional freedoms ?

But surely a diversity of views is inherent in a democracy ?

Hopefully the voters will see this, and know who to believe, just as they will see through the attempted bribe to Bangkok-residents of a TRT-promise to build 10 more rapid-transit lines & only charge 15 Baht for an end-to-end ride, trying to upstage the Democrats' fully-costed proposal of 7 lines and 40-50 Baht per ride. They will remember just how many yards of track were started over the past 5 years under TRT, and DL's promise to punish those people, in Bangkok or the South, who don't vote for him. Thaksin's credibility has worn very thin now.

'Well, it worked well last time !' - NOT ! :D

- The Nation

A few months ago I was talking to a group of October people down by their long fought for monument. They were saying how disppointed they were that some of their ex-colleagues had sold out for money and power and they hoped that these "sell outs" would not actually oppress the people if asked. Sadly it seems that their hope will be proven wrong.

Thaksin could avoid all of this if he had debates with the others. But again he fears the truth so he will avoid them at all costs. Come to think of it if Thaksin had debates perhaps none of this would have happened.

So the crackdown on Anti Thaksin movement thread could be renamed “No I don’t want to debate you” thread. :o

Sondhi asks Prem to help halt Thaksin regime

Sondhi Limthongkul, a leading member of the People's Alliance for Democracy, Wednesday submitted a petition to Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda, urging him to help stop the Thaksin regime.

The petition was submitted to an aide of Prem at his residence.

Source: The Nation - 6 September 2006

s3_copy57.jpg

Keep up the good work

Auditor-General Khunying Jaruvan Maintaka, centre, greets members of the Civil Society Network to Stop the Thaksin System, led by lecturer Sungsidh Piriyarangsan, second left, at the Office of the Auditor-General yesterday. The group offered moral support to Jaruvan for her scrutiny of government projects.

Source: The Nation - 6 September 2006

infest society.... Unbeknownst to them, they're all marinating and basting themselves with Thaksin hot sauce and TRT tenderizer. These idiots will be just ready and tender for a judicial grill and BBQ when the right time comes.

:o