Passport expiry retirement extension

If you use your existing passport your retirement extension will expire on 16 April, 2016, the date of your passport expiry... then you will need to pay for an extra ("bridging") extension from 16 April, 2016 until 14 May 2016.

The only way to avoid a "bridging extension" is to bring the two (extension & passport expiry date) into sync by arranging a new passport to expire on the same day as your extension. Can this be done? It's an inconvenience we all face every 5 or 10 years. I have to face it twice as I have my wife's and my own passport expiry dates to consider.

If you have less than one year left on your passport your extension will on be issued to the date it expires.

When you get a new passport immigration will transfer the shortened extension to your new passport. Then before the extension expires you apply for a new one year extension showing all the required documents for it.

You don't need to apply for a "bridging extension" to get back to your original extension date. If it was your dependents extension that had been shortened they would only get an extension up to the date your extension expires after getting a new passport.

If you have less than one year left on your passport your extension will on be issued to the date it expires.

When you get a new passport immigration will transfer the shortened extension to your new passport. Then before the extension expires you apply for a new one year extension showing all the required documents for it.

You don't need to apply for a "bridging extension" to get back to your original extension date. If it was your dependents extension that had been shortened they would only get an extension up to the date your extension expires after getting a new passport.

OK, so it is only for a dependent that you get a "bridging extension", to bring it up to the same date? All others get a year from whatever date the passport (and extension) expired?

OK, so it is only for a dependent that you get a "bridging extension", to bring it up to the same date? All others get a year from whatever date the passport (and extension) expired?

Yes and Yes.

• Like 1

Yes and Yes.

OK, so in the OP's case, he's in a good position with his passport expiring only a month before his extension date, therefore losing only a month.

If you use your existing passport your retirement extension will expire on 16 April, 2016, the date of your passport expiry... then you will need to pay for an extra ("bridging") extension from 16 April, 2016 until 14 May 2016.

The only way to avoid a "bridging extension" is to bring the two (extension & passport expiry date) into sync by arranging a new passport to expire on the same day as your extension. Can this be done? It's an inconvenience we all face every 5 or 10 years. I have to face it twice as I have my wife's and my own passport expiry dates to consider.

"If you use your existing passport your retirement extension will expire on 16 April, 2016, the date of your passport expiry... then you will need to pay for an extra ("bridging") extension from 16 April, 2016 until 14 May 2016."

Never hear of a bridging extension. Extensions based on retirement are issued for one year or until your passport expires. If he can't get a new passport before this new extension, he can get one before 14 May 2016. Then transfer the stamps to the new passport and before 14 May 2016 apply for his next full year extension to 14 May 2017 with the new passport. Absolutely no need to get an extension for one month. Just get the new passport before apply for the next extension.

There's no need to wait until the passport expires to get a new one. After I got my extension in December 2013 and before I went in for the next extension in Dec 2014 I got a new passport even though the old one still had 9 months before expiration. Immigrations transferred my extension stamps to the new passport and then last December I got a new extension in the new passport.

"arranging a new passport to expire on the same day as your extension."

That would be nearly impossible and totally unnecessary.

Edited by Suradit69

"If you use your existing passport your retirement extension will expire on 16 April, 2016, the date of your passport expiry... then you will need to pay for an extra ("bridging") extension from 16 April, 2016 until 14 May 2016."

Never hear of a bridging extension. Extensions based on retirement are issued for one year or until your passport expires. If he can't get a new passport before this new extension, he can get one before 14 May 2016. Then transfer the stamps to the new passport and before 14 May 2016 apply for his next full year extension to 14 May 2017 with the new passport. Absolutely no need to get an extension for one month. Just get the new passport before apply for the next extension.

There's no need to wait until the passport expires to get a new one. After I got my extension in December 2013 and before I went in for the next extension in Dec 2014 I got a new passport even though the old one still had 9 months before expiration. Immigrations transferred my extension stamps to the new passport and then last December I got a new extension in the new passport.

"arranging a new passport to expire on the same day as your extension."

That would be nearly impossible and totally unnecessary.

LOL. Allow me to clear up your confusion....

A "bridging extension" is not a formal term used by Immigration, therefore I used inverted commas. It is what a dependent on a retirement extension requires when her passport expires. For example, my wife's passport expires in May, but my retirement extension expires in July. She needs a "bridging extension" in her new passport to bring her up to July and the same expiry date as my extension. She cannot get a one year extension in May in her new passport. She needs an additional 2 month extension. If you can think of a better term to use, I'm all ears.

I thought the same process applied when anyone's passport expires short of an extension expiry date, but Ubonjoe already corrected me on that.

Maybe things have changed since 2012, but this is my experience at that time. I'll had to get a new extension based on retirement in March 2012, but my passport expired August 2012.

At the application date I was given an extension until August 2012. When I received my new passport somewhere in July 2012, an extension until March 2013 was placed in the new passport free of charge.

Maybe things have changed since 2012, but this is my experience at that time. I'll had to get a new extension based on retirement in March 2012, but my passport expired August 2012.

At the application date I was given an extension until August 2012. When I received my new passport somewhere in July 2012, an extension until March 2013 was placed in the new passport free of charge.

It has not been like that since August of 2013.

According to the New Regulation from August 13, 2013, when submitting application for Visa Extension if the validity of passport of the applicant is not longer than one year left before expiry, the extension of stay will be permitted not exceeding the expired date of passport.

After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport, you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht ). In case of overstay, the fine is 500 Baht per day.

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php