Riding A Bicycle In Bangkok...

MissAnge

I have done a few searches for information, but I thought I would post anyway to see if anyone can offer anything a little more positive...

I am getting quite tired of sitting on a bus and getting nowhere fast so I am thinking of getting myself a good bicycle and hitting the pavement to get to work. But there are a few things I would like to know first...

Can I carry my bike on the BTS, MRT or Chao Praya Boats?

How bad is the pollution for my health? Will a fancy face mask/filter thing be good enough to stop my lungs from going black?

I am a confident bike rider, am I likely to killed (keeping in mind that I will be travelling in peak hour when nothing's really moving at all?) :o

Any advice would be great (advice from people who do commute on a pushy would be even better!)

Cheers

I have done a few searches for information, but I thought I would post anyway to see if anyone can offer anything a little more positive...

I am getting quite tired of sitting on a bus and getting nowhere fast so I am thinking of getting myself a good bicycle and hitting the pavement to get to work. But there are a few things I would like to know first...

Can I carry my bike on the BTS, MRT or Chao Praya Boats?

How bad is the pollution for my health? Will a fancy face mask/filter thing be good enough to stop my lungs from going black?

I am a confident bike rider, am I likely to killed (keeping in mind that I will be travelling in peak hour when nothing's really moving at all?) :o

Any advice would be great (advice from people who do commute on a pushy would be even better!)

Cheers

In Tokyo they have "folding" bikes, with smaller wheels and easy to carry on any transportation.

I used to have one, there cyclists are allowed to share pavement with pedestrians. And the pavement is perfect, levelled, maintained and actually meant for people to walk on it.

How many bicycles have you seen in Bankok, of any kind? I have never seen single one. So, it must be worse than bad.

Covered in sweat after cycling, would you have shower in the office?

Send the mormons central office in Thailand an email. They ride bicycles all around Thailand -- even in Bangkok. :o true.

Not a bad idea! I do see those lads riding about a fair bit!

For those concerned that I would sit in an office all day sweating like a crack addict, thanks for the concern, but yes I do have shower facilities at work.

is there anyone out there who rides to work?

I cycle in Bangkok on a regular basis and so far have encountered no problems. Of course the traffic can be a bit mad at times but if you are experienced then there should be no problems. I now work next to a BTS station so there is no point in cycling to work now but in the last 2 schools I worked I did. One school was a 26km round trip and the other was a 40km round trip. I used to take a taxi one day a week to take in a weeks supply of fresh clothes - shirts ties, underwear and socks (dirty clothes - I took them home every night in my backpack.)

How long is your daily commute?

A face mask in my opinion will be more of a hindrance than a help, it will not filter out the very fine particles and the speed that you can achieve on the city roads are not that high that you will be doing any deep breathing - you may get a slight sore throat - nothing more than that!

If you are thinking of buying a good bike then I can recommend Probike near Lumpini Park.

If you need any more help then you can always pm me.

If you are thinking of buying a good bike then I can recommend Probike near Lumpini Park.

If you need any more help then you can always pm me.

And they do have folding bikes think_too_mut mentioned of.

I bought this mask at Probike shop and wore in when cycling in Bangkok, but eventually stopped using it because of the stifling feel to it. It takes the pleasure away from bicycling. I now stopped riding bicycle in Bangkok altogether.

The cheapest folder that they have is the Dahon Vitesse 7 at 19,900 Baht but that is before discount so expect to get about 15% off that.

That's expensive. In Tokyo ads are full of folders for free. I mean, many ppl boght them and don't know what to do with them when (dwelling) circumstances change.

If you bought it, could be 10-12K baht, a good one.

Edited by think_too_mut

Folders may be free in Japan but they are not here! ProBike do a limited edition Dahon for 44,000Baht

http://www.probike.co.th/list_dahon.php

I saw the site. The folders there are much better than what average ppl would buy in Japan. Not that they are not available, far from that.

Anyway, they are not meant for any serious cycling. I can see ppl using them, coming from "off-the broadway" but not from very far.

The weather in Japan, 6 months a year, is hotter and more humid than in Thai. Nobody wants to radiate a bad smell at work, especially ladies.

Maybe 1-2km bike ride to the train station. And no stray dogs in Jp (not a single stray dog in the 28 mil ppl city) that may bark at the wheel and distract you from other traffic - that may do you an injury or worse..

Don't know if it can be of any help to the OP. My take - forget the bycicles in Thai.

I have never ridden a bike in Bangkok although I would like to be able to do so safely.

Recently, I saw a place off Soi 26 (near a corner noodle shop ---about 500 yards off Sukhumvit) called Amazing Bangkok Cyclist. You can find them with a Google search.

They offer rental bike rides through Bkk neighborhoods including biking down Sukhumvit during the rush hour near the Emporium. Most of their clientele seem to be tourists. I personally think that participants are nuts to be on Suk with a bike at any time but esp during rush hour.

However, they might be able to provide you with some tips on things to look for or avoid while riding. I am sure they must give their participants some kind of safety lecture before they go on their ride. I think they have been in business for several years.

Good luck and good health.

depends on where you ride - i cycle to work every day BUT live very near and don´t have to ride on any major streets. in that case i would really think carefully if it is possible. and of course - you are the weakest link and have always to be reday for braking, just the same if your "opponent" is a dog or a lorry...i never trust anyone besides myself ;o)

i enjoy it - but only under the circumstances i have...

depends on where you ride - i cycle to work every day BUT live very near and don´t have to ride on any major streets. in that case i would really think carefully if it is possible. and of course - you are the weakest link and have always to be reday for braking, just the same if your "opponent" is a dog or a lorry...i never trust anyone besides myself ;o)

give it a try. if you are a confident rider and riding predominantley in daylight you shouldn't have any problems. one of the most bizzarre things about bangkok riding is it is totally flat, and way faster than driving. confidence and skill however are necessary

Edited by t.s

give it a try. if you are a confident rider and riding predominantley in daylight you shouldn't have any problems. one of the most bizzarre things about bangkok riding is it is totally flat, and way faster than driving. confidence and skill however are necessary

thanks for all the advice (and concerns!) I guess I will just have to give it a go! I am pretty sure that I can keep off the main roads for most of the way so that should make life a little easier... one more question though: anyone know about taking bikes on the BTS or MRT?