Milk producers in Thailand given support to increase their competitiveness

webfact

Milk producers in Thailand given support to increase their competitiveness

BANGKOK, 10 March 2015 (NNT)-The Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives is giving cattle farmers continuous support in an effort to increase the competitive edge of the Thai milk industry in the ASEAN market.

Minister to the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperative Pitipong Puengboon Na Ayutthaya has revealed that 50 producers of cow's milk met with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to thank him for the support the government has given them over the past year.

Measures taken by the government to assist the milk producers include a 1 baht price hike for 1 kilogram of raw milk, thereby raising the selling price of milk to 19 baht per kilogram.

The government has also been able to resolve several issues within the cow's milk cooperative and endorsed the importation of 22,000 tons of non-fat milk powder this year to cope with the ongoing shortage.

40% of milk produced domestically goes into the school program that aims to provide milk for all school children while the remainder is being used commercially. Thailand is currently the largest milk producer in ASEAN.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-03-10 footer_n.gif

No wonder beer is outselling Milk in this country!

Already milk consumption is low here due to the price, instead of subsidizing, they are increasing the price. They should match the price with other Asian countries, and encourage people to drink more milk.

Otherwise, people will think which is good for health at cheaper cost, Milk or Beer ?

Already milk consumption is low here due to the price, instead of subsidizing, they are increasing the price. They should match the price with other Asian countries, and encourage people to drink more milk.

Otherwise, people will think which is good for health at cheaper cost, Milk or Beer ?

You are right.. beer is actually cheaper as milk. Crazy.. but that is the way it is. I usea lot of milk for stuff like kefir, protein shakes and oatmeal. Not that I mind much but the price has been increasing all the time. Its not like I cant afford it but i noticed it to be expensive here.

• Like 1

The Dairy Co-operative Federation of Thailand has urged the government since November 2014 to raise prices by 2.23 baht per liter. It also wanted an assistance scheme that pays dairy farmers 1,000 baht per cow, with a limit of 15,000 baht each. And finally, it wanted a government paid program to promote milk consumption among Thais, pushing it up from 13 liters to 26 liters per person per year.

The DCFT instead got a 1 baht price hike.

Thus far, there has not been a cash handout or subsidy the Junta didn’t like for the agricultural sector. I expect the milk co-operative, having learned from the successes of the rice and rubber farmers to press the Junta for more subsidies, to continue their own demands for further subsidies. OR THEY WILL THREATEN TO PUBLICLY PROTEST?

The Dairy Co-operative Federation of Thailand has urged the government since November 2014 to raise prices by 2.23 baht per liter. It also wanted an assistance scheme that pays dairy farmers 1,000 baht per cow, with a limit of 15,000 baht each. And finally, it wanted a government paid program to promote milk consumption among Thais, pushing it up from 13 liters to 26 liters per person per year.

The DCFT instead got a 1 baht price hike.

Thus far, there has not been a cash handout or subsidy the Junta didnt like for the agricultural sector. I expect the milk co-operative, having learned from the successes of the rice and rubber farmers to press the Junta for more subsidies, to continue their own demands for further subsidies. OR THEY WILL THREATEN TO PUBLICLY PROTEST?

What's the justification for raising costs? Production is a pittance of what it is in Aust but thai milk is already much more expensive than aussie milk and a far inferior product.

You are right.. beer is actually cheaper as milk. Crazy.. but that is the way it is. I usea lot of milk for stuff like kefir, protein shakes and oatmeal. Not that I mind much but the price has been increasing all the time. Its not like I cant afford it but i noticed it to be expensive here.

And beer is also more expensive here than in most western countries!

Again the government helps the people who are already rich by supporting a price increase that will be paid by consumers.

What an odd way of thinking...that increasing the price of a product and providing monetary support to the producers will increase competitiveness. Are there any cases elsewhere in the world where this has proven true?

The likely result will be that increasing the price will lower sales, and giving monetary aid to the producers will remove their motivation to become more competitive.

Thailand is faceing the same problem as milk producers in Europe: the producers of milk get not enought money for their product but the industrie of packing and selling makes the big money!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, if you look on the milk price within the last couple of months the price go up for more then 10%

So no competition on the Thai milk market! the schools are not a factor of a part of market, its just the private market participants..

Lower the price and you will have in the future more consumption!!!!!!!!!!

What an odd way of thinking...that increasing the price of a product and providing monetary support to the producers will increase competitiveness. Are there any cases elsewhere in the world where this has proven true?

The likely result will be that increasing the price will lower sales, and giving monetary aid to the producers will remove their motivation to become more competitive.

"Are there any cases elsewhere in the world where this has proven true?"

Ah, the gentle person who does not yet know about agricultural subsidies...