Marriage Contracts? Marriage Security.

oz457

Dear all,

I'm wondering if there are marriage contracts in Thailand as we know in our Western countries. I'm a Belgian citizen and we have marriage contracts with the seperation of goods or a contract with mutuality of goods.

Does these kind of contracts exist in Thailand?

Are there any websites, links about this subject.

what are the legal steps to correctly marry a thai citizen? What are the consequences for this thai lady. I once read she will have to sell all her property?

Any assistance is welcome about this issue.

I believe what you're talking about is a prenuptial agreement.

Prenuptial agreements are allowed pursuant to Thailand law if they meet certain requirements. It is advisable to have a qualified law office assist you with the preparation of a prenuptial agreement and the translation and legalization of such an agreement pursuant to Thai law. Prenuptial agreements, when prepared correctly, are generally considered valid legal agreements in jurisdictions outside of Thailand. Although litigation can be an unpredictable process and the laws of different countries may vary, it is always safer for an individual with significant assets, or even for an individual who is merely careful about his/her financial future, to have a prenuptial agreement.

what are the legal steps to correctly marry a thai citizen? What are the consequences for this thai lady. I once read she will have to sell all her property?

this is not true anymore, that law has changed.

About prenups; I agree with TRIPxCORE and I actually made one prenup in Sweden (my homecountry) and one in Thailand (husband homecountry) This was my husbands idea since he want to show everybody that our marrige is not about money... to many stories out there about thai who fooled farangs.

Do you mean that if I marry my Thai girlfriend, she will not have to give up her land? She has a lot of land.

Do you mean that if I marry my Thai girlfriend, she will not have to give up her land? She has a lot of land.

No she won't have to give up her land, but please check the land forum for more information regarding this, Use the search function at the bottom of the forum. It is covered quite extensively there and is not really on topic here.

Thanks. I will check the other forum.

But it is a little bit on topic here because that was a question in the original poster's post. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... And whether or not a Thai woman can retain land after marriage to a foreigner is a topic in regard to "Ladies in Thailand", so that's all.