Driving From Bangkok To Phuket

JennyJJ

Question for those of you who have driven this path a few times.

I have always driven Highway 4 all the way - which follows the western coast after Chumphon.

Time is important on my next trip and I am curious if the road is better if you take Highway 41 down to Surat and then Highway 401/415 to PhangNga and Phuket.

Is the Surat Thani route faster? I have heard this - but don't know it for a fact.

Thanks.

Edited by JennyJJ

Question for those of you who have driven this path a few times.

I have always driven Highway 4 all the way - which follows the western coast after Chumphon.

Time is important on my next trip and I am curious if the road is better if you take Highway 41 down to Surat and then Highway 401/415 to PhangNga and Phuket.

Is the Surat Thani route faster? I have heard this - but don't know it for a fact.

Thanks.

How long does it take you on that route??

There is one main highway going the whole way which is in pretty good condition in most places.

If you get a late start out of bkk Chumpon is a good stopover. There is a decent cheap hotel there.

You can make it to Ranong in 8 hours out of bkk which makes a nice stop at the hot springs.(jansom hot springs resort is nice) Also that road has spectacular scenery so don't drive it at night.

If don't lollygag you can make the entire trip from bkk to htk in 10 hours. But that's only taking 2 short stops.

Heading north Cha Am makes a handy and pleasant stopover.

• 2 weeks later...