Krabi to build bicycle parking zones

Thaivisa News

Krabi:- Authorities will be spending more than Bt100 million on creating bicycle parking zones in Krabi, in support of its plan to establish itself as the Bicycle City for Health and Tourism.

Krabi Governor Songphon Sawasdham says the parking zones for bicycles will go up at 13 key spots such as Ao Nang Beach, Krabi Airport, Maharaj Market, Krabi Hospital, Ron Waterfall, Chalermphrakiat Pavilion, the Ancient Bead Museum, and Thara Public Park.

We want to provide convenience to bicyclists, both tourists and locals, he says.

There are now between 3,000 and 4,000 bicyclists in the southern province of Krabi. This population has given birth to more than 30 cycling groups, which have regularly organized cycling trips across the town.

According to Songphon, the move is designed to promote cycling among people as such mode of transportation is good for health and friendly to the environment. Krabi hopes its residents will use bicycles in their daily life.

Songphon says for tourists, they will be able to indulge deeper in local atmosphere if they use bicycles in exploring Krabi.

Bicycles can take them to various destinations, he adds.

Songphon says his provincial government has worked closely with the Tourism Authority of Thailand in promoting bicycle trends. Several events have already been held to recommend cycling routes to interested tourists.

We have also worked with various other partners for the purpose, he says.

Krabi has attracted millions of tourists, both Thai and foreign, each year. It is famous for its beautiful beach and amazing sea.

At Koh Kret island in Bangkok are also many bike rentals.

The island is far too small for that and the sidewalks much too narrow. Cyclists drove into me several times while i was walking around with my family.

I hope they build separate lanes for cyclists and pedestrians in Krabi.

Krabi is lovely for bicycle riders, the roads are very wide and often have a shoulder to ride on. There is still not much traffic on most of these roads and many roads are going through coconut or palm plantations with almost no traffic and much shaded by the trees.

How many public buses services could be started - ya know to help get peoples children off motorbikes like the other campaign running in the news for 100million? How many dilapidated schools could be painted? Text books purchased? The list goes on and on.

No, we need bicycle parking. Much more important..... Seems pretty dumb to me and priorities all wrong yet again as always.