Help with Cell Phone prices

steve654

Anyone know where to purchase in Bangkok and how much three cheap flip type cell phones would cost us for about 3 weeks including some airtime for that period? Each of us want to carry one with us in case we lose each other in shopping malls, on the beach or whatever as well as in case of emergency etc. We want to be able to use it mostly to call each other as well as around Thailand not just locally, for example, I call my wife's family in Bangkok while I am in Chiang Mia etc etc.

Cheap phones start around 600 Baht (about 18 USD, 17 EUR, 12 GBP).

Where in Bangkok? At about every corner. Thousands(!) of cell phone shops.

In case you need a specific adress: goto MBK.

Or simply: jump out at Siam station and look around.

AIS:

Prepaid SIM cards for domestic use about 50 Baht, with the possibility to call overseas 99 Baht or so.

Rates are 2 Baht for the first minute, 1 Baht for every other minute (within AIS).

Topup of credit is possible virtually everywhere (e.g. at one of the "7/ELEVEN" stores [more than 7000 nationwide]).

All SIM cards can be used nationwide for calls to all mobile networks and fixed line numbers.

Tariffs are also identical nationwide.

You don't have cell phones from home? Which type?

Many cell phones can simply be used with Thai SIM cards (no SIM lock etc.).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Have used those before but every time I put them in my pocket, they often start to dial lol. That's why I use the cheap flip phones.

Is that italk phone you posted a reliable one? When I use to travel to Vegas, some of the throwaway phones had audio so weak

that you not only could not hear a call come in on a busy street, but it was just as hard to hear anyone talk to you as well when they called.

Edited by steve654

I bought a cheap flip phone 2 years ago at Tesco. The audio was horrible. Unless you were somewhere quiet, it was almost impossible to hear the caller. But, if just for a short time and only for emergencies, then it will be fine.

If you have a cheap phone from the US, and you can access the SIM card, you can get it unlocked here relatively cheaply. All you'd need is a SIM card then, as long as it handles the frequencies we have here.

A few years ago I bought a cheap quad band, unlocked phone from the US. Worked great in every country we visited.

I have never had an audio issue with Nokia cheap phones (under 1,000 baht) and they all have a lock function to prevent keypad use so no need for flip type phones - suspect they all have that function these days.

NNokia-130-Dual-SIM-Bright-Red.jpgokia 130 about 830 baht

• Like 1

Agree with lopburi3. I have a cheap Nokia as a backup. It works well, audio is OK and standby time (about one week) is tremendous in the smartphone era tongue.png

399 now, prices are slipping. Unbelievable.

You mentioned "1 Baht for every other minute (within AIS)".......what is AIS?

AIS = advanced info systems http://www.ais.co.th/en/index.html

The oldest and biggest network operator.

Good coverage especially in the remote areas.

Be prepared for a lengthy and heated debate about the "best mobile provider" in Thailand tongue.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

HAPPY sim cards (DTAC) work quite well, also in foreign phones, put in the card, they send you a number of SMS'es (text messages) which you can ignore, and in a few minutes you can use the phone.

Edited by keestha

• 2 weeks later...

AIS have a deal where you get 4.5GB data and a pile of call time and SMS for 400 Baht a month....just visit their shop and get it added!

Is there any deal for one month for only phone time as I don't use the internet at all on the phone?

Also, want to call Canada and Canada to call me, so was wondering the best overall one month deal

for Thailand calls and incoming and outgoing Canada calls?