Giant 800-Pound Stingray Caught in Thailand

Jacob Maslow

The Beluga Sturgeon is the largest freshwater fish in the world by a long way and the freshwater stingray in Thailand is third on the list.

http://www.conservationinstitute.org/10-largest-biggest-fresh-water-fish-in-the-world/

A lot of people come to Thailand to specifically target this fish and Jeremy Wade on "River Monsters" managed to catch some.

The Giant Mekong Catfish is stocked in many Thai fishing ponds even up here in Isaan but is certainly endangered in the wild.

, that's estimating and the reality is of caught fish it is the stingray then the catfish. Thailand has the heaviest river fish in the world. do a google search for them being caught at those weights quoted on that website. for a dot.org they don't have a clue.

Edited by sandrabbit

"Released back into the river". Good for them. At first I expected them to serve it up for lunch.

I'm sure Chinese men could have found some superstitious use for the stinger or other parts to enhance their sexual performance....like tiger penis or rhino horn.

The Beluga Sturgeon is the largest freshwater fish in the world by a long way and the freshwater stingray in Thailand is third on the list.

http://www.conservationinstitute.org/10-largest-biggest-fresh-water-fish-in-the-world/

A lot of people come to Thailand to specifically target this fish and Jeremy Wade on "River Monsters" managed to catch some.

The Giant Mekong Catfish is stocked in many Thai fishing ponds even up here in Isaan but is certainly endangered in the wild.

, that's estimating and the reality is of caught fish it is the stingray then the catfish. Thailand has the heaviest river fish in the world. do a google search for them being caught at those weights quoted on that website. for a dot.org they don't have a clue.

This stingray may well end up as the largest verified weight for a freshwater fish caught on rod and line ( the big Mekong quoted was caught in a net by the way) but the White Sturgeon caught in Canada is clearly the largest freshwater fish landed even though it could not be officially weighed. Speak to any knowledgeable angler and they will all agree on the Sturgeon being the largest fish living in fresh water.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/post/monster-white-sturgeon-weighing-1-100-pounds-caught-in-canada/

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/26/international/asia/26thailand.html?_r=0

Nice to read that they re-released the giant stingray

but once again we are reading about more endangered species in Thailand due to lack of conservation

When will the Thai people all wake up and realize once gone there is no way back

As Joanie Mitchell said, " ...you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone"

but once again we are reading about more endangered species in Thailand due to lack of conservation

When will the Thai people all wake up and realize once gone there is no way back

The Irrawaddy dolphins come to mind.

A pic of the actual stingray would have made this story.

Not the random stingray shown.

Here ya go. I trust that Mr Corwin, who seems to be struggling a bit, did not overly spook the expectant mother.

The 800lb number is a guesstimate, but she measured 14ft X 8ft.

attachicon.gifGiantStingRay.jpg

FYI, That pic is not the one caught. This one is from a TV series and certainly is not 14' across.

As a point of order .... Actually, it is the one mentioned in the article. It is 14ft long from nose to tail, and 8ft across.

The photo was taken on 6 March and put on Facebook by Jeff Corwin 4 days ago. It was filmed for his upcoming TV show (ABC's "Ocean Mysteries"), due to be broadcast later this year after he has filmed other segments from other parts of the world. It has not been broadcast yet.

Aah, great to learn new things at my advanced age, a ray is a fish, as its cousin the shark must be then, next we will be told about big fishes like the dolfins and the whales too... Let me guess: the journalist's nickname is Kung, because of the size of his brains... Oh, well, I should not be so hard on him, he must just have been locally 'des-educated' like most of his compatriots... Science, science...

Aah, great to learn new things at my advanced age, a ray is a fish, as its cousin the shark must be then, next we will be told about big fishes like the dolfins and the whales too... Let me guess: the journalist's nickname is Kung, because of the size of his brains... Oh, well, I should not be so hard on him, he must just have been locally 'des-educated' like most of his compatriots... Science, science...

Could you explain what you think you are talking about?

• Like 2

Yes I do but the beluga sturgeon and the White sturgeon pack on the pounds in the sea whereas the the stingray and the giant mekong pack on there pounds in fresh water. A sturgeon is not a fresh water fish.

You find that out when you get old.

Any idea what species this is? Is it really a freshwater stingray?

According to Wikipedia, freshwater stingrays "are native to northern, central and eastern South America, living in rivers that drain into the Caribbean, and into the Atlantic as far south as the Río de la Plata in Argentina." I.e., they're not found in Asia.

According to Wikipedia, freshwater stingrays "are native to northern, central and eastern South America, living in rivers that drain into the Caribbean, and into the Atlantic as far south as the Río de la Plata in Argentina." I.e., they're not found in Asia.

Put simply , that is incomplete and not what wiki has to say either...

"The giant freshwater stingray is known to inhabit several large rivers and associated estuaries in Indochina and Borneo. In Indochina, it occurs in the Mekong River to potentially as far upstream as Chiang Khong in Thailand, as well as in the Chao Phraya, Nan, Mae Klong, Bang Pakong, Prachin Buri and Tapi Rivers. In Borneo, this species is found in the Mahakam River in Kalimantan and the Kinabatangan and Buket Rivers in Sabah; it is reportedly common in the Kinabatangan River but infrequently caught"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_freshwater_stingray

Edited by cumgranosalum

"The giant freshwater stingray is known to inhabit several large rivers and associated estuaries in Indochina and Borneo. In Indochina, it occurs in the Mekong River to potentially as far upstream as Chiang Khong in Thailand, as well as in the Chao Phraya, Nan, Mae Klong, Bang Pakong, Prachin Buri and Tapi Rivers. In Borneo, this species is found in the Mahakam River in Kalimantan and the Kinabatangan and Buket Rivers in Sabah; it is reportedly common in the Kinabatangan River but infrequently caught"

That is exactly what Wikipedia says if you search for freshwater stingray: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potamotrygonidae

It would appear that the giant freshwater stingray isn't a freshwater stingray.

That is exactly what Wikipedia says if you search for freshwater stingray: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potamotrygonidae

It would appear that the giant freshwater stingray isn't a freshwater stingray.

I don't think you understand the article or how science defines freshwater fishes.You are simply applying your own layman's preconception to what is in fact a scientific definition - please outline why you think it isn't a freshwater fish...... (warning - i might, or might not laugh)