How much do I need to retire in Thailand with a fairly high standard of living

mj1971

650000 for a single guy is a lot.

I spend 168'000 a year (room, food, visa run, motorbike, flight, hair cut, dentist, doctor )

some other friends told me they need 20k /month (room, food, visa, health insurance, flight, and some pocket money)

we came to the conclusion you can have a good simple worry free life in Thailand for 240k baht a year. 240k is the sweet spot.

Edited by VIPinthailand

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read the OP he said $75,000 United States. That on the oanda converter worked out to 2,506,120 baht divide by 12 and you get around 208,000 baht a month.

Where did the Cheap Charlie's get in to this? Even better why? The OP is obviously in a league they can only dream of. I am a little curious as to if this Cheap Charlie's are here legally? Or just back packers passing through as cheap as they can so they can travel as far as they can.

If I didn't know how much he had just looking at the list I would say Chiang Mai would be the least expensive. But with the figures he gave he can live in style any place he wants.wai.gif

• 2 years later...
Some here have stated 75k/yr gets you a nice lifestyle anywhere on the planet. lol. In NYC, Tokyo, SF, and so many many other places you will be just existing on that amount. 

Can't speak to Tokyo, but you can live okay in SF & NYC on 75k. Plenty of people "exist" there on 30k

800000 retirement  their is a reason for this and it is they know you need at least 66,666 bhat per month to live here, but I think it should be more like 100,000 per month that would cover ever thing which includes proper health insurance, not the fly by your pants travel insurance  that some of you use to stay here full time and think you are covered.

Most older people spend less than the young, yet the retirement visa is 66,666 per month for a reason.

So 200k per month that the writer talks about should give you a great time here.

I am not rich but my spend is 112k per month and I am 70 and live a good life as I should with money left over. 

Edited by whiteman

These questions always sound like money is the only thing to consider. Depends what your current standard of living is. Buddha sat in the rain under a tree and when the sun came out he then had a high standard of living - its not fixed, depends on your state of mind. 

Thailand is geared towards taking advantage of the most common bracket - 2 week tourists who are loaded with emergency funds, come once a year and have no knowledge of the place. So my answer would be minimum 8 weeks twice a year, you will be recognized as a resident by all, despite your objections. Then for a change go visit some poorer countries to lower your annual spending and recalibrate your expectations.

Ps. Don't sue me for spelling mistakes or errors in logic that obviously are not obvious.

whiteman said:

I am not rich but my spend is 112k per month and I am 70 and live a good life as I should with money left over. 

18 minutes ago, Bikeman93 said:

Is that dollars or baht?

if he spends 112k being 70 and single Baht should suffice. i spend ~280-300k but then i have a wife, two dogs and four employees.

I spend less than half of that and live exactly as I want. Circumstances are normally different for people asking this common question. I, for instance, pay no rent and everything I  have, including the vehicles are paid for. My Thai wife is a very good cook so we rarely go out to eat. I go solve world problems with the local farangs a couple times a week. Of course this is just an excuse to drink beer. I really wouldn't mind being an alcoholic but my abused old body simply won't allow it. Three big bottles is normally my limit because the suffering from drinking more is not worth it.