How much do I need to retire in Thailand with a fairly high standard of living

mj1971

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All we need is another knucklehead here look stay working and paying taxes look I got over 5 million USD in the bank I live great anyplace I like bang the best eat the best stay in the best travel as I please no money worries. so if you need to count your pennies forget here and stay working.

All we need is another knucklehead here look stay working and paying taxes look I got over 5 million USD in the bank I live great anyplace I like bang the best eat the best stay in the best travel as I please no money worries. so if you need to count your pennies forget here and stay working.

I've read your post 3 times, tried to insert punctuation and quotation marks where I believe they should have gone, and it still makes no sense beyond 'All we need here is another knucklehead'. I *think* you're referring to some of the earlier posts in this thread, but that's just wild speculation at this point. Care to enlighten us ?

I've read your post 3 times, tried to insert punctuation and quotation marks where I believe they should have gone, and it still makes no sense beyond 'All we need here is another knucklehead'. I *think* you're referring to some of the earlier posts in this thread, but that's just wild speculation at this point. Care to enlighten us ?

Using my Strangebrew to English translation program:

"All we need is another knucklehead here. Look, stay working and paying taxes....look, I got over 5 million USD in the bank, I live great anyplace I like, bang the best, eat the best, stay in the best, travel as I please, no money worries. so if you need to count your pennies forget here and stay working."

You'd think with "over 5 million USD in the bank" he could hire an editor or at least a proofreader.

When I use to come on vacation I would budget ฿5,000 a day for my expenses, and add accommodation and transportation on to that. If you went on a budget like that I think you could have a great time. Now that I'm living here full time I don't live on even close to that, but not counting accommodation, ฿ 2,000 a day should do you okay, if you aren't partaking in the lovely ladies more than once a week. Remember you also need money to cover trips home, health insurance and unexpected events. Also remember that since 1997 every major currency has taken a major hit against the Thai Baht. The US $ dropped from a little over 50 to the baht, to a little under 30, is now around 32. The £ went from around 70 to around 48, every currency has got hit. Being Canadian in the last year I've lost around 18% in currency loss.

Edited by Issangeorge

I gave it a shot and here is what I came up with, still messed up though.

"All we need is another knucklehead here. Look, stay working and paying taxes. Look, I got over 5 million USD in the bank. I [can] live great anyplace. I, like, bang [have sex with] the best, eat the best, stay in the best, travel as I please, no money worries. So if you need to count your pennies forget here and stay working."

It makes one want to reverse a famous saying and come up with, "If you're so rich, why aren't you smart?"

Using my Strangebrew to English translation program:

"All we need is another knucklehead here. Look, stay working and paying taxes....look, I got over 5 million USD in the bank, I live great anyplace I like, bang the best, eat the best, stay in the best, travel as I please, no money worries. so if you need to count your pennies forget here and stay working."

You'd think with "over 5 million USD in the bank" he could hire an editor or at least a proofreader.

Interesting interpretation - I didnt take it to mean strangebrew has 5 million in the bank, I took each of the 'look' sentences as an example of a claim someone here has made. With one or two exceptions, I'm not aware of anyone claiming to have that much money on TVF but I havent read every single cost-of-living thread. 5 million might not be what it was when we started our working lives, but I wouldnt be wasting my time posting on internet forums if I had that kind of money.

• 4 weeks later...

basically 20'000 baths a month.

that should cover

room or small condo

food

health insurance

visa

and some pocket money to buy cigarette , candies, and a few toys smile.png

You will be pinching pennies.

Moot argument. Like everything else, depends on where you are.

From personal experience, Can do up north or in bkk if you like staying in your room a lot. I have few vices though, so the fags and toys were not needed, or at least i could come across them as a man would.

Edited by fey

that should cover

room or small condo

food

health insurance

visa

Moot argument. Like everything else, depends on where you are. Can do up north in cm/cr from personal experience, or in bkk if you like staying in your room a lot.

Read the topic again.

If it was how to live in Thailand without a life, then you'd have a valid point.

that should cover

room or small condo

food

health insurance

visa

I live on less in America. Could do it on half that in Thailand(10k/month). 2k for a room, 4k for food, etc.

that should cover

room or small condo

food

health insurance

visa

and if you forego first class flights more money is left for Chang and bar fines unsure.png

that should cover

room or small condo

food

health insurance

visa

I live on less in America. Could do it on half that in Thailand(10k/month). 2k for a room, 4k for food, etc.

you Sir... are a true hero coffee1.gif

Didnt the OP say high standard of living.. Living off 20k is not high..

Once you get to 150k after tax you should be doing what you want when you want.. But its still not a high standard but getting there.

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

Zierf1, VIPinthailand!!!.... Live barely.... Exist maybe.... Happily unlikely...... Don't get me started on the visa VIPinthailand you have already embarrassed yourself enough..
you make any Thai monk ashamed.... go home! :)

Haha I am home!! Please forgive me I didn't realise you were living in Thailand like a monk,that explains a whole lot about your situation))

that should cover

room or small condo

food

health insurance

visa

One suspects that's not living that's surviving, I would hate to think what sort of fleapit for a "room" one would get for 2k/m

But let's go with your numbers none the less

1. 2k for a fleapit

2 4k for room

3 water & power ?

4 transport one assumes a 2nd hand motocy?

5 fuel/maintenance costs for said vehicle ?

6 medical and accident insurance ?

7 transport costs for visa runs

8 costs for visa

9 monthly internet costs

10 one assumes your 2 k flea pit no have pots/pans/bedding/ TV etc

In conclusion sir, you are talking through your bottom

that should cover

room or small condo

food

health insurance

visa

One suspects that's not living that's surviving, I would hate to think what sort of fleapit for a "room" one would get for 2k/m

1. 2k for a fleapit

2 4k for room

3 water & power ?

8 costs for visa

9 monthly internet costs

Mr Peel,

There are rooms as cheap as 800 baht a month, if you know where to look. ;) & there are certain 'computer handy' folk who seem to gather together at locations, let's call them ghouses. Perhaps these people also share 800 baht rooms and ride with three or four of them on the one motorcycle ?

Noodles are cheap, few baht a bowl.

Imsurance is over kill.

Motorcycles coast nicely off overpass off ramps and are cheap to service, fuel can be siphoned easily enough.

You should know, Starbucks offer free wifi.

Sure you can easily live nicely off 20k baht per month, in actual fact, probably 10 would do it ;)

that should cover

room or small condo

food

health insurance

visa

1. 2k for a fleapit

2 4k for room

3 water & power ?

8 costs for visa

9 monthly internet costs

Mr Peel,

There are rooms as cheap as 800 baht a month, if you know where to look. ;) & there are certain 'computer handy' folk who seem to gather together at locations, let's call them ghouses. Perhaps these people also share 800 baht rooms and ride with three or four of them on the one motorcycle ?

Noodles are cheap, few baht a bowl.

Imsurance is over kill.

Motorcycles coast nicely off overpass off ramps and are cheap to service, fuel can be siphoned easily enough.

You should know, Starbucks offer free wifi.

Sure you can easily live nicely off 20k baht per month, in actual fact, probably 10 would do it ;)

. Starbucks does not offer free wifi.

i live in pattaya on a budget and try to limit my spend on 1000 - 1500 baht per day excluding hotel or room where i can get a decent room for 10,000 thb per month. that is still a lot of money to me, take 1500 per day over 1 year , total cost inc room is = 650.000 thb = approx £12000 per year. then after all that count in your visa and transport costs for visa runs and associated fee,s . then count in your life and medical insurance .

my advice for what its worth is,

1. do not live in pattaya, go to hau hin or even isaan udon thani is nice and has everything you need up there.

2. buy your motorbike , dont rent.

3. if you need a car buy a small car LPG fuel.

4. stay away from the bar scene.

5. get a hobby and have some routine or purpose to your life whatever that may be like gym, gardening, golf, cycling etc and stick to it !!!

6. shop in local markets and cook yourself or eat from the thai food places and noodle stands, i love them and havent eaten foreign food in years . stay out of foreign resturaunts.

7. take your time and pick your ladyfriend wisely, take time, if shes a taker ( most are ) then get rid of her quick !!

thailand is not cheap. not for me anyway.

Edited by dirtycash