Thai Wife Extension

An update from an older post of mine, and some questions:

I went to Suan Plu today, to extend my permit of stay, expiring 20 Sept, based on a non-imm B, and change it to "support Thai wife". Suan Plu wouldn't do it: first I'd have to go to the labour department and cancel my non-imm B Visa, they said. It sounded quite weird to me, labor dept cannot issue the visa, but they have the power (and the only one, apparently, with that power) to cancel it. Not to mention that I thought I had finally understood the system, that is, I am legal in Thailand because of the permit of stay, not because of the original visa issued more than a year ago in Italy...

Anyway, since I will be outside of the Country for October and November, I asked whether they could give me the response by the end of September, which wasn't an option. At that point we left, thinking of what to do. Later I called but they couldn't give much information "without seeing my documents", but it appeared that if I provide them with a return ticket they may be able to extend the permit ("under consideration") until I come back to Thailand.

Anybody has tried (successfully)? I can't afford to cancel my current permit of visa first, to find out that they won't extend my support-wife-permit long enough (they said they "may")... it'd be a waste of time and money, and won't solve the problem.

Thanks and sorry for the long mixed message (some info, some complaints, some questions...)

I had a similar situation in 2004 on an initial application for extension (but starting w/ an O visa). It worked out for me, but we got the impression that the most they could normally do is stamp "under consideration" for about 45 days total from the date of original application. After that, there would have to be a visit to get the passport stamped again, whether with the full year or another 30 days under consideration.

So, it seems like the most flexibility you have is to choose your application date to position that return date 30 days out, and then ask if they can add the extra 15 days based on your travel requirements.

However, this might have changed since then, and I get the distinct impression that there is some vague flexibility there, if you speak to the right person by accident. :o

Your other option might be to cancel the "B" like they said, and obtain a new single-entry "O" during your travel? Then, restart your wife-support extension application after the first 90 days are up. You just have to make sure you can link all the permissions to stay together and avoid having your work permit invalidated.

From your post, I am assuming you are already aware that you can get a reentry permit against the "under consideration" stamp and come and go during that period. The only trick is getting the passport to visit them for another stamp on the correct day. You also have the added pleasure of getting your work permit stamped at each of these dates to match the new passport stamp, unless it is already stamped further due to your previous B visa...