Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport named 5th best airport by Skytrax

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

THEY WISH..........!!

if you check SKYTREK website you'll find THIS:

www.worldairportawards.com

VERY different !!!!

What's different? They might have selectively choosen what to highlight but it is correct!

Best Airports : 40-50 million passengers 1 Seoul Incheon ICN 2 Kuala Lumpur KUL 3 Madrid MAD 4 San Francisco SFO 5 Bangkok Suvarnabhumi BKK 6 Charlotte/Douglas CLT 7 Las Vegas LAS 8 Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX 9 Miami International MIA

You cant be serious about KL surely? It is a rubbish airport at best

It's the list from the Skytrax survey. KL was second in the 40-50 million passenger airports.

I have no doubt of the quantity of people passing through it but facility wise it is sub-standard

Nice expensive shopping mall, I never buy anything there, just walk quickly from immigration to the lousy Royal Orchid lounge for a shower before leaving the Land Of Scams...

I guess this comment is about what happened on your first visit and you will never ever see the color of the Land of scams again.

coffee1.gif

you guessed wrong, I haven't left yet (trip # 50)but that will happen quite soon now, Monday 23d, I can offer you a drink in the lounge.

Never had any problems with immigration or customs here. BUT, my daughter visited us in Thailand in February and on her return to the States they went through customs in Denver and did she get the treatment. They must have had a quota to make. She had packaged Thai spices,(the same things you can buy at any Asian grocery store)some left over beef jerky(originally bought in the states), and an apple she got at breakfast and forgot about. She didn't claim any of it as food and they checked her baggage. They called her liar for not claiming the food, and fined her $500. And the same outfit lets millions of illegals in the country and hard telling what they're bring in. Hope I never go through Denver.

Statistical nonsense. You can build any type of group, e.g. 25-30 million pax, to look better. San Francisco with 47m is 36th, BKK with 46m is 47th. Why not compare with Munich (39.7m , 3rd) or Frankfurt (59m at 13th).

While the best in Europe (Munich) is at least 3rd, the best U.S. airport (Cincinnati) is only 30th. What a shame. Dallas 62nd? That was one of my favorites in the 70th. Served the Concorde, too. Also remember adventurous landings at Logan airport. Nuff said. What happened to American airports?

Skytrax requires payment for "services". It is a for profit company that "sells" rankings.

That being said, I like BKK. It is better than any large airport in north America and much of Europe.

What exactly do you like about it? The under staffed immigration or the over priced monopoly "duty free" shops.

Or walking about a mile to get to your gate with NO travelators.

• Like 2

Must be me; I thought it was ranked just weeks ago, somewhere well into double-digits.

But a look on the Skytrax site begs the question: just who and what are they looking at? Because any number of passenger comments for this year to date suggest Suvarnabhumi is deserving of nothing like 5th position.

IMO opinion there are too many irrelevant surveys and too many categories within these irrelevant surveys

They should just concentrate on the 47th in the world ... pretty poor IMO

47th out of 800+ is pretty good IMO

Yes, but let's not include 200 meter dirt farmyard landing strips shall we? As a national figurehead, it is a very average airport... and like all things Thai, just gets more and more run down by the day. "Oh look, there is a broken blue tile... I'll just put this pink one there and three inches of grout in the gap, just because I am too shagged to get the right tile and cut it to the correct size..." Maintenance... what's that?? LULZ.

800+ is international airports only

Must be me; I thought it was ranked just weeks ago, somewhere well into double-digits.

But a look on the Skytrax site begs the question: just who and what are they looking at? Because any number of passenger comments for this year to date suggest Suvarnabhumi is deserving of nothing like 5th position.

5th in the 40-50 mil passenger group. 47th overall.

wow, 1 positive post to 10 negative,

?why, oh why, do you whiners hang about,

you really must be lots of fun at parties smile.png

oh yeah, now i get to see all the bashers show their stuff xx smile.png

Not sure if you do much flying, but to mention Suvarnabhumi airport in the same

sentence as Incheon airport is the ultimate joke.

Never had any problems with immigration or customs here. BUT, my daughter visited us in Thailand in February and on her return to the States they went through customs in Denver and did she get the treatment. They must have had a quota to make. She had packaged Thai spices,(the same things you can buy at any Asian grocery store)some left over beef jerky(originally bought in the states), and an apple she got at breakfast and forgot about. She didn't claim any of it as food and they checked her baggage. They called her liar for not claiming the food, and fined her $500. And the same outfit lets millions of illegals in the country and hard telling what they're bring in. Hope I never go through Denver.

. Try going through Vancouver, Nazi era or Australia, check C/I TV channel , Border Security Show, My God and SF I heard but it's always been Pleasant, my friend got stopped, he's Indian, he said why do u stop me all the time, they said don't worry, we will continue to check you every time ...5555

. Try going through Vancouver, Nazi era or Australia, check C/I TV channel , Border Security Show, My God and SF I heard but it's always been Pleasant, my friend got stopped, he's Indian, he said why do u stop me all the time, they said don't worry, we will continue to check you every time ...5555
. Vigilant bcuz Fruit Damage for Oz , US Billions of dollars, remember The Medfly Sraying, oiiiiiiiii

Btw In SIN Singapore, they only require Passport for wifi inside the Terminals if you go to Departure Area Information desk they will hand you PW on paper...and remember if you get stuck in SIN , they have Chaise Lounges for a Liedown in Terminal 2 at gates E10 and E11.

eh...blink.png in Changi you logo onto the free wifi connection, a page comes up to input your mobile number and they sms you a pin number to use, you don't even need a PP

. Then why did he take my passport and many others 5 days ago

Definitely the best helpful staff especially in duty free area they think nothing of slipping a little something into your hand luggage free of charge prior to you being arrested for theft, 5 minutes later.

The airport I think is actually good.

I travel a lot and i never get any grief here, I think Sydney is the worst in the world and you get greeted by the worst customs officers in the world too just trying to fine as many people as possible.

Sydney customs ....absolute pits ( and especially when dealing with people from other cultures). Bangkok customs is ok.

I've never had any problems with Sydney customs but the airport itself is a disgrace to the Australian nation.

Customs do a good job IMHO.

I always never waited more than 15 minutes at the customs, and found immediately my luggage.

Then 3-4 minutes to reach the express train to Makkasan: in 15 minutes I am at my apartment.

Airport staff always very kind (especially women, like in whole Thailand)

Italian airports are definitely worse than Suvarnabhumi.

Maybe the shops are a little bit too expensive, but try to find an airport which has low budget shops....

Well bully for you on your rapid custom clearance. But I repeat I am afraid that all too often the lines from the passport control booths stretch out and form a dense crowd all the way back, aprox 200 feet to the main concourse where he travelator finishes. One hour usually. Departing last time the snaking queues took one hour and fifteen minutes minimum after security which was brisk. There were no staff to stop queue jumpers, we had to regulate them, no staff to check departure cards, there were not enough passport booths fully manned and those that were worked agonisingly slowly People were getting frustrated and angry, quite rightly so. I have travelled over 80 borders and loads of third world airports including Africa and Arabia but this last departure really had a negative impact on the travellers waiting. I estimate from leaving check in to clearing passport control was two painful tedious hours. The staff and their set up was taking the p*** out of the tourists who showed incredible patience. It took nearly 40 minutes of walking to find my lounge - no signs, no information, no assistants no travellators: A nightmare basically caused by under staffing. Now I dread arriving and departing and I am rethinking my holiday plans in the future.

Suwannaphum may be better than many N American and European airports - most of which are showing their age and lack of capacity in a changed environment - but in my opinion Thailand's main airport comes nowhere near the best in Asia.

A random list of six criticisms:

- Overpriced F&B

- Monopoly duty free supplier

- Vast distances to walk to gates

- Immigration bottlenecks much of the time

- STILL no conveniently-accessed Internet (registration required - why?)

- In general, trading on an outdated and obsolete image of Thailand, unsuitable to 2015.

Pass, at best

Show me an airport that doesn't have overpriced F&B.

The remaining points I have no problems with.

Edited by Kaalle

Could not agree with you more Oby. So many sad farangs comment on Thai visa. They are either ultra negative or just plain stupid (thinking they are funny). These poor losers in life. Now wait for the bombardment of criticism l will receive, but never see, because l do not spend my day on Thai Visa, nor do l return to an article.

Sad, ultra negative farangs, ... and also with very limited financial means, apparently.

This is why we read that "the food is too expensive" and "the duty free is extremely expensive"...

These posters probably would like to see 25b noodle shops and the cheapest possible Chang beer in Suvarnabhumi...

Personally I do like Suvarnabhumi. And when I am too early for my flight I sometimes enjoy buying a few things in the nice boutiques.

On another note, I would love to see all the low cost carriers move to Don Mueang, together with their passengers. I would certainly improve the experience of those using full service airlines at Suvarnabhumi.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Could not agree with you more Oby. So many sad farangs comment on Thai visa. They are either ultra negative or just plain stupid (thinking they are funny). These poor losers in life. Now wait for the bombardment of criticism l will receive, but never see, because l do not spend my day on Thai Visa, nor do l return to an article.
Not so oby and Larry. If it's not a poster's experience that it meets the published rating, shouldn't thry post that? It achieves nothing to agree that it's great when their experience is otherwise.

It' not Thai bashing, but observation and personal opinion. This is a forum, and last time I checked posting rules they didn't indicate everyone posting must agree.

Edited by F4UCorsair