Thai Immigration Police round up foreign fugitives

webfact

Some of the more elusive people live out in the country away from the police. They, some are the ones on the

missing list during the Vietnam war. They are still carried by the military, "Missing in Acton" They came to Thailand on R & R but never returned to Vietnam. Today they are in their 60's and are very low keyed people. I've see a few of them back in the 80's begging, or Pimping in the streets of Bangkok. Some have learned to speak Thai fluently, and fit in with society, and the locals well. They more or less gave up their citizenship to the USA.

they still owe back taxes for every year they have been gone! :)

i wonder if these guys had new passports with different names or if they just keep using their US passports until they were put on a list by the US government and popped up on a computer in Thai immigration?

Good job. I kind of feel bad for the veteran on overstay but the theft charge makes me feel otherwise.

<snip>

a veteran of 29 years ??

Correct citicens work today until 65 !!

29 age to live from the state is for me a parisite !!

There are notorious foreign criminals that have illegally been in Thailand (Bangkok and Pattaya) for many years. They seem to be untouchable.

Because they keep up their payments. When we going to see a line up of Immigration Officials who took bribes? Oh alright, never. Plus you'd need a panoramic lens.

There are some clever people out there who know what buttons to press, and some other people who are old and grew up in an era were they could trust people, and sadly continued to trust people.

When your mind is not quite what it was and you are offered something that seems infalible you can sometimes fall for the bull. Scammers such as this often target the elderly, they see someone who is the age of their son and begin to trust them like a son. A friend has a used car business and uses the younger (son type) salesmen on the older customers and older father type figures on the younger customers, and it works (for the record he is not dishonest, and I am yet to fall for any scams.

I think the most amazing thing about this story is,

"Arsenault, who fled to Thailand last April, was among 16 people charged with running a telemarketing scheme that reportedly embezzled over US$20 million (about Bt700 million) from 290 victims in 46 states and Canada."

That is an average of just under $70,000 per person. My 2 questions are, what were they pretending to sell to their victims and who gives $70,000 away to a stranger after a phone call? Unbelievable. (not the OP but that people would fall for this type of scam)

A clutch of Somalis? what the .... is a clutch when referring to people?

I know my GF always wants to by new clutch wallets .... but not ones made out of Somalis, maybe from crocodile or python

@LuckyLew: I fully agree that referring to a group of people as "a clutch" is highly disrespectful & derogitory ! ! !

Incidentally; I have a small list of some of these typical expressions:

A Pride of Lions

A School of Fish

A Herd of Cows/Cattle

A Flock of Birds

A Clutch of Eggs

A Flock of Sheep

A Group of People

A Mob of Kangaroos

A Gang of Crows

A Raft of Seals

A Gaggle of Geese (if geese on the ground)

A Skein of Geese (if geese flying in formation)

A Flock of Geese (if geese NOT flying in formation)

A Wisp of Snipes

A Journey of Giraffes

A Murder of Crows

An Exaltation of Doves

A Congress of Owls

A Parliament of Baboons

A Congress of Baboons

A Camp of Bats

A Stand of Bamboo

A Cluster of Trees

A Bunch of Flowers

A Pile of Dough

A Wad of Money

A Stack of Money

A Fistful of Dollars

A Dash of Sugar

A Pinch of Salt

A Bunch of Bananas

A String of Beans

A Hint of Garlic

A Bail of Hay

A Skein of Wool

A Splash of Color

A Patch of Light

A Sparkle of Hope

A Tower of Strength

A Whale of a Lie

A Turn of Events

A Whisper of Wind

A Wisp of Hair

A Hive of Activity

A Bundle of Joy

A Stroke of Genius

A Shower of Rain

A Ray of Light

A Puff of Smoke

A Load of Rubbish

A Shred of Evidence

A Spark of Hope

A Lot of Fun

A grain of Truth

A Gut-full of Worries

coffee1.gif

lust, on 18 Mar 2015 - 00:31, said:

Good job. I kind of feel bad for the veteran on overstay but the theft charge makes me feel otherwise.

Also, how do 22 Nigerians fit in a condo? lol.

They aren't Nigerian but Somalians, so they will fit

i´ll be called a racist for this, but Somalians? utter disgusting people, i know from them coming over to places ive lived in europe , that these people , come as refugees, get everything they need, houses, cars, money, handouts etc etc and turn the place into an absolute sheeitehole, form ghettos, high majority of thieves, handy with a knife , break-ins, you name it...when they first came over to Denmark , there was many local women raped, stabbings, burglaries, a big thank you for taking them in and giving them a better life...should have left them where they were...

• Like 1

I know my GF always wants to by new clutch wallets .... but not ones made out of Somalis, maybe from crocodile or python

Clutch is the term for eggs in a nest, possibly they meant the raided the Somali's "nest" or lair, but anyway, dehumanizing.

Nothing at all wrong with using 'a clutch' when referring to a small group of people considered as a unit... They are all Somali and living together so that's the connection.

Why is it dehumanizing?

• Like 1

Some of the more elusive people live out in the country away from the police. They, some are the ones on the

missing list during the Vietnam war. They are still carried by the military, "Missing in Acton" They came to Thailand on R & R but never returned to Vietnam. Today they are in their 60's and are very low keyed people. I've see a few of them back in the 80's begging, or Pimping in the streets of Bangkok. Some have learned to speak Thai fluently, and fit in with society, and the locals well. They more or less gave up their citizenship to the USA.

By the numbers I believe this. They are lucky they got this far and that they lived in a time when there were less electronic databases, loose borders etc.

I think the most amazing thing about this story is,

"Arsenault, who fled to Thailand last April, was among 16 people charged with running a telemarketing scheme that reportedly embezzled over US$20 million (about Bt700 million) from 290 victims in 46 states and Canada."

That is an average of just under $70,000 per person. My 2 questions are, what were they pretending to sell to their victims and who gives $70,000 away to a stranger after a phone call? Unbelievable. (not the OP but that people would fall for this type of scam)

Basically they conned people into giving them money, telling them they bought really cheap houses in Detroit Michigan area. They collect the money and of course never return any money to the investors.

http://news.yahoo.com/american-held-thailand-linked-detroit-housing-telemarketing-scam-092407261.html;_ylt=A86.JyM.CwlVb00AjhYnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEzbmdoYXFmBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1lIUzAwNF8x

Also, how do 22 Nigerians fit in a condo? lol

They fit in very easily!!!!!!

22 in one Condo is a good training for Thai prisons usual tight conditioned "sleeping rooms". rolleyes.gif

Clutch is the term for eggs in a nest, possibly they meant the raided the Somali's "nest" or lair, but anyway, dehumanizing.

'Dehumanising' or not, what does it matter?

Well done immigration officers.

To many criminals think Thailand is a safe haven.

Catch the scum send them back.

With the kiddie fiddlers give them a good kicking first, they are the lowest of the low, scum of the earth.

Roger that!!!

You got it D.N.F.O

<snip>

a veteran of 29 years ??

Correct citicens work today until 65 !!

29 age to live from the state is for me a parisite !!

I'm also 29 and a veteran...veterans have no relation to retirement, but I can see how you can make that mistake when you don't serve your country. Please enlighten us with your life accomplishments. ;)

Also, apparently asking "How do 22 Nigerians fit into a condo?" is a racist comment... If I ask how do 22 Canadians fit into a condo, is that racist too ? Or does it only apply to non-whites? The censoring here is the racism...

• Like 1

There goes the champion of the urban myth.