The tragic ending of a gay partnership

isanbirder

Thank you for sharing that story. Growing up in a rural, homophobic area I am aware of the secrecy, deception and outright lies some gays have to live. I also spent time in the Middle East and saw the horrible situation for many gays in that part of the world.

I knew numerous young people who have committed suicide and many, many who have tried.

Fortunately from this situation there is a foundation to help others. The parents are partly to blame, but also Nazim would have had to come to terms with who and what he was, had it not been for the traumatic circumstances, perhaps he could have.

Nothing is worse than growing up thinking that you are bad and wrong to the very core of your existence.

My condolences to Matthew. There are few things worse than living with suicide. The endless questioning of 'what could I have done?' 'Maybe if I had answered the phone?'

Tragic. Very tragic.

• Like 1

One day, I hope, this world will be a better place to live.

I doubt I will be alive, but I hope my grand or great grand children will enjoy living in a less hostile society.

Homosexuals or heterosexuals we are all human beings living in the same crowded little planet.

Why can't we respect and accept each other?

Difficult question to answer as we look at the haterage between mankind.

Call it religion, call it homophobia there is always an excuse to hurt other fellow human beings.

OP, I was moved reading the story and I do hope the young man Rests in Peace.

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed a tragic event for Matthew and those who loved Nazim. These type of stories continue within our community. Nazim, the gentle soul he was just was not armed with the strength to fight the inner turmoil brought about in the rejection from his family at that time. For many of us, coming out is a roller coaster ride of which in time comes to a plateau. Even today in the United States with the immigration of folks from these cultures perform 'honor killings' to protect their family name or reputaton from their belief of disgrace. Changing that is one of our largest hoops to jump.

This mimics the story of Shane and Tom in America. Tom falls to his death by accident and his family rejects and forbids Shane to even be present at his funeral, denying their gay son. Shane in his grief tells their story openly and ended up making a movie of their relationship and his rejection called "Bridegroom." As Matthew stated in the interview, the best thing is to 'talk about it." http://bridegroommovie.com/

• 2 weeks later...

It is truely a tragedy that any part of society would condem anyone simply for who they love. I do feel that the world is slowly changing to allow LGBT individuals more respect, equality, diginity, and acceptance. Sadly, there are many countries, religions and cultures where there is little or no enlightenment. I do hope that the entire world does evolve and allow people the right to be who they are and to love who they love. Someday.

• Like 1