Russell Crowe cries foul over Aussie citizenship

webfact

Reports now in that immigration has no record of refusal nor any record of him applying for citizenship. I cannot link at the moment but is in ninemsn news

Is saw that. Guess you can't apply for what you are ineligible for...

At the same time, the immigtation departments response was disingenuous and glosses over the real issue which we are discussing here.

Quote - #46

"The reason for them stems back to the 1970s and 80s when Australians were concerned about the number of Kiwis coming to Australia and "taking Aussie jobs and living off the dole."

For the record, there was some hysteria and fallacy about this. I lived in Aust for much of the 70s and 80s. Talk about Kiwis taking Aussie jobs was not as bad as it sounded - unemployment went through phases, the worst I can remember was in the mid-70s, but was never at dramatic proportions - in fact there was as much talk about lazy Aussies as there was about Kiwis taking their jobs. Meantime, Australia's immigration intake was going full steam ahead. And as for Kiwis living off the dole - I know little about the Bondi scene, but in my 15-odd years in Aust, I could count on one hand (at any one time, of course :)) the number of Kiwis I knew who were not gainfully employed. I was seldom ever out of work and seemed to be welcomed by Aussie employers wherever I went because they regarded their Kiwi staff as more diligent and reliable than most other workers. Just for the record from one person's point of view.mellow.png

• Like 1

Reports now in that immigration has no record of refusal nor any record of him applying for citizenship. I cannot link at the moment but is in ninemsn news

Is saw that. Guess you can't apply for what you are ineligible for...

At the same time, the immigtation departments response was disingenuous and glosses over the real issue which we are discussing here.

Fancy that. An immigration department being disingenuous.

OB

• Like 2

Has anyone stopped to consider that the original article was in the radio times which is or was the mouthpiece of the BBC? Could it be that he has a film or TV series that he was trying to plug & threw this in as a sideline?

The Russel Crowe factor aside, this story highlights some seriously disparities between how Aus and NZ treat each others citizens.

Despite our long shared history, our 40 year old common economic partnererhip and so called ANZAC traditions, in 2001 Australia enshrined some pretty draconian laws towards NZ citizens. The could live and work in OZ, but it stripped away long established paths to Permament Residency and citizenship. Long established law abiding tax paying kiwi's were not granted access to social services. Over time this has left many in a situation where they are unable to access assistance despite living and working in Australia for decades. Australia will gladly take Kiwi tax dollars, but do nothing in return.

Despite Australia/s petulance, NZ still grants Australian citizens access to PR, citizenship and social security once established in NZ in a straight forward manner, in a way which is not offered when they come to Australia.

It is a highly unfair state of play, where Australia continues to not reciprocate the level of treatment Australians are granted in New Zealand.

but it stripped away long established paths to Permament Residency and citizenship.

OK but why did they do it ? just curious ?

Try his racist anti jewish remarks and his violence against his wife in California for starters.

Russ does a lot for the community. He does his fair share and more up in Coffs.

What a stupid PR blunder by Immigration.

What about what the tax department did to Hogan after being Australia's ambassador for years.

Everyone is forgetting Australia's tall poppy syndrome.

People are so petty. If you have ever been outside your own suburb then you must be the devil himself.

• 3 weeks later...

Samran,

Can you quote those facts?

The fact is quite a number of kiwis are dodging the law in their country so come to Australia.

We need the ability to deport these people. Once they are citizens it won't happen.

Not sure why Russell Crowe is being knocked back. The minister has the ability to approve it.

Suggest you read the website surrounding the Trans-tasman travel agreement and the Closer Economic Relationship agreement. But cause I'm a nice bloke, here is start for you:

https://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/17nz.htm

Kiwi's with criminal records which have served jail time of more than one year I beleive have to apply for a visa like everyone else. Records are accesible by Australian authorities. We can and do deny entry to these people. Not sure where you are getting your 'facts' from.

I suggest you look at Australian citizenship law. Good character is one requirment. Suspect they'd never make it to Australian citizenship anyway.

Russ was knocked back for exactly the reason said in the article. He was outside of Australia during the transition period for NZ citizens. Despite the fact he grew up in oz, cause he missed that window this route is not possible for him. As I said, it stinks.

The facts I was referring to were actually the kiwi unemployment rate and percentage of population etc... I don't doubt the immigration facts.

Another interesting fact I came across was the number of kiwis in Australian jails.

Look in large kiwis come here to take up unskilled or limited skill employment.. Jobs that should be available for our children when they are starting in life. I don't recall ever meeting a kiwi doctor...

From my experience I have met a lot of kiwis running from something in my country.