Old City Wall In Partial Collapse

sabaijai

Parts of ancient wall in Chiang Mai collapse

Chiang Mai _ Parts of the 700-year-old wall in downtown Chiang Mai collapsed yesterday after heavy downpours. The ancient Chang Phuak Gate, or Gate of the White Elephant, partially collapsed. It forms part of a long ancient wall in the centre of Chiang Mai, surrounded by a moat.

more at the Bangkok Post

Chiang Mai _ Parts of the 700-year-old wall in downtown Chiang Mai collapsed yesterday after heavy downpours. The ancient Chang Phuak Gate, or Gate of the White Elephant, partially collapsed. It forms part of a long ancient wall in the centre of Chiang Mai, surrounded by a moat.

more at the Bangkok Post

I'm wondering if it wasn't the NEW section (less than 15 years old) that collapsed...

I'm wondering if it wasn't the NEW section (less than 15 years old) that collapsed...

Indeed it was one of the newer reconstructed sections Ajarn, dating back to the sixties. Unfortunately the structure was hollow, and it filled with water eventually building up a head of pressure that pushed the wall out. Maybe there were drianage ports at one time, but obviously clogged over time.

more at the Bangkok Post

Yeah the headlines sound a bit dramatic dont they

-" Parts of the 700-year-old wall in downtown Chiang Mai collapsed yesterday after heavy downpours. The ancient Chang Phuak Gate, or Gate of the White Elephant, partially collapsed. It forms part of a long ancient wall in the centre of Chiang Mai, surrounded by a moat"

- but if you check out the photo I snapped in the rain yesterday it probably is not as bad as the headines make it out to be. But then again....

92162617-S.jpg

What I find amusing is the collapse of the retaining wall / footpath along the outside of the north side of the moat. I wonder if any of this has to do with the new paving they've done, plus all the new trees they keep digging holes for & planting along the moat. Do they really need holes & trees every 10 metres?

92162616-S.jpg

92162615-S.jpg