Tourist Police in Bangkok

mike2011

I have a problem with a travel agent near Silom. I bought a ticket via wire transfer and he refuses to provide me with an official receipt. Consequently, I have serious problems with my travel reimbursement. The lady in the well-known agency was livid and very offensive. While I do not like to go there again, I have to. My game plan is now to first speak with the tourist police. I have all evidence on the made payment and there cannot be any doubt. Perhaps they can give her a call and remind her that she anyhow needs an official receipt in order to pay her taxes correctly.

Anyone knows where the tourist police in BKK is located and their office hours next week?

Any positive input is very much welcome :) THANKS!

I live in Silom and I have not seen the Tourist Police in a long time...they used to be at Patpong along Silom Rd. at night. It amazes me that in 10 yr I have never seen a policeman patroling the sidewalks here....

Used the Tourist Police about 10 years ago. The office I used was near the National Stadium somewhere.

I dont know what influence they have today, but a few phone calls from them to the agency owner produced a refund of monies after about four hours. I think the agency were slow to refund my CC out of protest.

I found TP's English language lacking, but nice helpfull guys. Different from the usual laxadasicle bobby's attitude.

• Like 1

You can find the Tourist Police in plain clothes on many corners in Bangkok.

Next to the Erawan Shrine, in front of the Roadhouse at Suriwong, next to the MRT at Dusit Thani, on Silom at Nartiwat intersection and around the Grand Palace. You see them in groups of 2 or 3 approaching tourists. They dress smart and speak English.

A friend of mine working for the TAT says they are running the gem scam.

Now you know.

Not sure if this info is entirely up to date, but it's a start:

General contact information for the Tourist Police:

Head office:

TPI Tower
25/26 Liab Khong Rd., Chong Nonsi Junction
New Chan Rd.
Thung Mahamek
Sathorn
Tel: 678-6800

Major branch, near the Tourism Authority of Thailand office:

4 Rajdamnon Rd.
near Rajdamnon Boxing Stadium
Tel: 1155

Hi John,

I just checked the map for the Sathorn division. It came up on google maps with the remark "permanently closed". So that seems to be off the list. sad.png

As befitting the service they provide, the TPD isn't the easiest organization in the world to locate.

I was curious to know, so I called the Tourist Police Division's 1155 hotline to ask.

The answer I got was two locations:

--second floor of Suvarhabhumi Airport, or

--Ratchadamnoen Rd in BKK, next to the Boxing Stadium. (So this location appears to be the same one I mentioned above) The officer I was speaking with said this location is staffed 24 hours.

Telephone: +66(0)2-356-0583 or 1155.

Why their website and Facebook pages are almost entirely in Thai and seem to have little useful information in English is a mystery left only to the wonders of Thailand... whistling.gif

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

I called them once in Pattaya to help sort out a hotel issue and they were prompt and courteous and very helpful. They called the owner who of course was not answering my calls any more. She got very upset "what you do"! I tipped the two officers because they were patient, listened, I wrote down the issue in their little book and off everybody went. I didn't get my money until the next morning but that was close enough.

The Tourist Police that are in on the gem scam are very clever.

The loudest most aggressive gem scam victims were sent to a particular guy at the Ministry of Commerce. "He will help you get a refund" blah blah blah..

This guy would scam them too, he new all the scammers, never bothered notifying the authorities.... and played along for years....."only able to get a 50% refund.... sorry"...He got them some money returned and it got them to shutup.

He was apparently taking on cases every day last time I looked into it.