Obama defends Iran deal as 'once-in-a-lifetime' opportunity

webfact

I seriously have my doubts this agreement will ever come to pass, flawed, treasonous, or just stupid.

Obama declared in 2012 that the deal he would accept with Iran is that they end their nuclear program and abide by the U.N. resolutions that have been in place. Those resolutions call for Iran to completely suspend the enrichment of uranium.

Under the agreement announced on Thursday, enrichment will continue with 5,000 centrifuges for a decade, and all restraints on it will end in 15 years. If he was going to capitulate anyway, why waste all this time?

Isnt that what negotiating actually is? You know, to negotiate.

The fact that other countries were involved is a big thumbs up.

• Like 1

Obama is allowing Iran to enrich uranium, even though they don't need it for energy, and they could just buy it like most other countries. What a stupid deal. North Korea again, but worse.

Iran also do not need to build an atomic bomb. If in war with the West, Iran ally will be Russia, and Iran can buy nuclear bombs from them..in the same way Israel bought it from the US. But, if war happens, Israel will pay first and hard. Israel and its supporters wants war now, when its can win, not later, when Russia will be more powerful....and Korea and China may be take sides. The same apply for the US Military.

If Obama close the deal now with Iran will be, not just a miracle, will be for very short time. The Senate or the next President will find the way to cancel it, and when the big nuclear war happens, Obama will be out just saying...I told you...

What is so special about the relationship between Israel and the United States?.....When it comes to trade, I can't think of one commercially made item that can be found in a supermarket, or Wal*Mart store.

Its seems to be a one sided RELATIONSHIP. How many billions of dollars have we given to the Israelis over the past 50 years? How many billions of dollars have we given Egypt to stay friendly with its neighbors. And for what? a semi-peace in the Middle East?

And who are we to dictate to any country who can have or can't have nukes? Especially since we are the only nation on the planet that has used two on Japan during the 2nd world war? Used on civilians as a terrorist act to force Japan to surrender.

The treaty with Iran is meaningless, what became of the talks with North Korea? I thought it was we will never allow them to develop Nuclear weapons? Now they are working on expanding the distance of their missiles.

"Once in a lifetime opportunity?.....Really? I didn't know Obamabomb can predict the future! Iran, as well as North Korea can not be trusted. A signature on a doted line to them is meaningless.

Does anyone remember PM Chamberland of GB in 1939, who proudly in hand waving it to the crowd of spectators claiming he has the signature of The Furrier of Germany agreeing to never to go to war with Britain again!......well we know how that turn out!

I am happy to report...that most of us do not remember ANYTHING that happened in 1939...

I seriously have my doubts this agreement will ever come to pass, flawed, treasonous, or just stupid.

Obama declared in 2012 that the deal he would accept with Iran is that they end their nuclear program and abide by the U.N. resolutions that have been in place. Those resolutions call for Iran to completely suspend the enrichment of uranium.

Under the agreement announced on Thursday, enrichment will continue with 5,000 centrifuges for a decade, and all restraints on it will end in 15 years. If he was going to capitulate anyway, why waste all this time?

Why are we always given the choice of the lesser of two evils? If we are going to choose evil, what is the rationale behind the lesser?

Red Lines are not that which gets negotiated; red lines, lines drawn, etc., are the defining characteristic of that which cannot be accepted, or bartered? They are less the starting point then they are the end point.

• Like 1

Why are we always given the choice of the lesser of two evils? If we are going to choose evil, what is the rationale behind the lesser?

Red Lines are not that which gets negotiated; red lines, lines drawn, etc., are the defining characteristic of that which cannot be accepted, or bartered? They are less the starting point then they are the end point.

The general population dont have the time and resources to make educated decisions when its fifty shades of grey on the table.

Iran has been a mess since the 1950s when the US (as they do) helped overthrow an elected government and placed the Shah in power. Why? Ask the US government. The Shah was a terrible leader. He arrested and tortured anyone who opposed him. He had US support so he stayed in power until the revolution in 1978 when the the Shah left the country in rather a hurry. Then there was the whole US Embassy hostage incident where Iran demanded the return of the Shah for the release of the hostages. So the US, being faithful to the Shah, refused to let him be tried for crimes against the country (American hostages be damned). Anyway, forward into the 1980s where the US decides to make Saudi Arabia the new training ground for Afghan fighters (Osama Bin Laden anyone?) to fight Russia in Afghanistan. Yeah, Iran really liked US forces in Saudi Arabia training Sunni fighters...not. So the US isolated Iran even more. Even now, Iran doesn't trust the US (with good reasons).

I was hoping with these new Iran accords the US could move beyond dealing with the Saudis which is a terrible regime in its own. Take a look at the atrocities that the Saudi government allows and see if you even back the idea of the US dealing with them. Sure the current theocracy in Iran isn't the best but if you ever talked with any Iranian people they really want to move more into a western culture. Most Iranian people are very open and friendly. The US really needs to culture a sense of community with the Iranian people. Maybe put in a few McDonalds and KFCs. Send them Levis and Iphones. Watch the theocracy break under consumerism. Change comes from small actions with the people.

• Like 2

Iran has been a mess since the 1950s when the US (as they do) helped overthrow an elected government and placed the Shah in power. Why? Ask the US government. The Shah was a terrible leader. He arrested and tortured anyone who opposed him. He had US support so he stayed in power until the revolution in 1978 when the the Shah left the country in rather a hurry. Then there was the whole US Embassy hostage incident where Iran demanded the return of the Shah for the release of the hostages. So the US, being faithful to the Shah, refused to let him be tried for crimes against the country (American hostages be damned). Anyway, forward into the 1980s where the US decides to make Saudi Arabia the new training ground for Afghan fighters (Osama Bin Laden anyone?) to fight Russia in Afghanistan. Yeah, Iran really liked US forces in Saudi Arabia training Sunni fighters...not. So the US isolated Iran even more. Even now, Iran doesn't trust the US (with good reasons).

I was hoping with these new Iran accords the US could move beyond dealing with the Saudis which is a terrible regime in its own. Take a look at the atrocities that the Saudi government allows and see if you even back the idea of the US dealing with them. Sure the current theocracy in Iran isn't the best but if you ever talked with any Iranian people they really want to move more into a western culture. Most Iranian people are very open and friendly. The US really needs to culture a sense of community with the Iranian people. Maybe put in a few McDonalds and KFCs. Send them Levis and Iphones. Watch the theocracy break under consumerism. Change comes from small actions with the people.

You're not seriously comparing Iran's atrocities with those in Saudi Arabia??

"Take a look at the atrocities that the Saudi government allows and see if you even back the idea of the US dealing with them."

"Sure the current theocracy in Iran isn't the best"

clap2.gif

Comparing hamburger to a turd, and it's the hamburger you'd ban from restaurants, even if the turd "isn't the best"...

Some with a more, em, "balanced" view might find this interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/22/world/middleeast/years-of-torture-in-iran-comes-to-light.html?_r=0

or this,

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/global-europe/no-compromise-iran-human-rights-310687

Yeah, Iran's emergence from its days of oppressive despotism is surely right around the corner. Somebody just needs to open a KFC ... Maybe Obama should've included that in the nuke deal, eh?

A month in Saudi isn't actually my idea of heaven, but I'd take it in a minute over a month in Iran, thank-you very much.

• Like 1

You're not seriously comparing Iran's atrocities with those in Saudi Arabia??

"Take a look at the atrocities that the Saudi government allows and see if you even back the idea of the US dealing with them."

"Sure the current theocracy in Iran isn't the best"

clap2.gif

Comparing hamburger to a turd, and it's the hamburger you'd ban from restaurants, even if the turd "isn't the best"...

Some with a more, em, "balanced" view might find this interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/22/world/middleeast/years-of-torture-in-iran-comes-to-light.html?_r=0

or this,

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/global-europe/no-compromise-iran-human-rights-310687

Yeah, Iran's emergence from its days of oppressive despotism is surely right around the corner. Somebody just needs to open a KFC ... Maybe Obama should've included that in the nuke deal, eh?

A month in Saudi isn't actually my idea of heaven, but I'd take it in a minute over a month in Iran, thank-you very much.

I would not like a month in either. But will say the Iranians I have met are much nicer than the Saudis I have met.

• Like 1

So they didnt all walk out, to use your term. Please stop lying.

Please understand that any one of the P5 can veto this deal. I have seen some express dissatisfaction and some walk out. France and Germany have been vocal and Russia is no friend of Iran's while it backs Syria.

The US Congress has made noise about stopping any deal that allows enrichment.

Let's just not presuppose that this is a done deal.

Thanks only to the congress maximus it's not a done deal, but it's also the normal case and procedure that nothing any time or anywhere is a done deal until the final agreement can be signed, in this instance, sometime around June 30th.

Meanwhile despite the strongest passions of the far right, I don't see that anyone of the principals has walked, nor do I expect that after on-or-off again negotiations that began with the EU-3 in 2002, and which expanded in 2006 to the P5+1, anyone is going to walk now or during the next few months....

Iran and world powers strike initial nuclear deal

iran_deal.jpg?itok=rpSNO0t2

A nuclear framework agreement was reached after eight days of negotiations between six world powers and Iran in the Swiss town of Lausanne. (Photo: CBS News)

L-R, Foreign Minister of the People's Republic of China Hailong Wu, FM Laurent Fabius of France, FM Frank-Walter Steinmeier of Germany, European Union Foreign Policy Chief Federica Mogherini, FM Javad Zarif of Iran, Deputy FM for USA Relations Grigory Karasin of Russia, FM Philip Hammond of the United Kingdom and Secretary of State of the United States John Kerry.

If Iran hasn't shown to the right wing that it is a government and country of people who negotiate, who can be negotiated with, and that the process leads to concrete specifics that people can sign on to, then the right can't be persuaded of anything rational. It is in fact the right that is buying carpets.

The Iranians are going to laugh all the way to the bank...as the US lifts sanctions which will give Iran more funds to pursue their ME military ambitions...

We will one day look back on this "non-binding...non-agreement...fiasco"...as allowing a people with evil design to usher in some of the darkest days in world history...IMHO...

The single devastating sanction is the European (Union) Commission vote supported by the European Parliament to exclude Iran banks, to include the Central Bank, from the SWIFT electronic global banking system in Belgium that transacts $6 Trillion daily.

That was implemented in 2012 and several months later Iran returned to the negotiation table where the P5+1 sat down on the opposite side, finally again. Iranian banks and corporations had suddenly found out what it meant to turn their pockets inside out to find nothing.

Corporations, banks, the central bank in Tehran, haven't seen a USD or a Eurobuck for so long they've forgotten what they feel like. Burning Chinese yuan and Russian rubles in their fireplaces does keep 'em warm during winter, but it doesn't buy anything in the global markets.

By mid-2013 GDP growth had crashed to minus 9 percent. Inflation is 15%, unemployment 10.5%, interest rates are 14.5%....etc.

This all started in 2002 with the EU-3 of Germany, France, UK.

• Like 1

So they didnt all walk out, to use your term. Please stop lying.

Please understand that any one of the P5 can veto this deal. I have seen some express dissatisfaction and some walk out. France and Germany have been vocal and Russia is no friend of Iran's while it backs Syria.

Thanks only to the congress maximus it's not a done deal, but it's also the normal case and procedure that nothing any time or anywhere is a done deal until the final agreement can be signed, in this instance, sometime around June 30th.

Meanwhile despite the strongest passions of the far right, I don't see that anyone of the principals has walked, nor do I expect that after on-or-off again negotiations that began with the EU-3 in 2002, and which expanded in 2006 to the P5+1, anyone is going to walk now or during the next few months....

A nuclear framework agreement was reached after eight days of negotiations between six world powers and Iran in the Swiss town of Lausanne. (Photo: CBS News)

L-R, Foreign Minister of the People's Republic of China Hailong Wu, FM Laurent Fabius of France, FM Frank-Walter Steinmeier of Germany, European Union Foreign Policy Chief Federica Mogherini, FM Javad Zarif of Iran, Deputy FM for USA Relations Grigory Karasin of Russia, FM Philip Hammond of the United Kingdom and Secretary of State of the United States John Kerry.

If Iran hasn't shown to the right wing that it is a government and country of people who negotiate, who can be negotiated with, and that the process leads to concrete specifics that people can sign on to, then the right can't be persuaded of anything rational. It is in fact the right that is buying carpets.

"It is in fact the right that is buying carpets."

But the right didn't have to give up the farm to get the carpets.

• Like 1

"It is in fact the right that is buying carpets."

But the right didn't have to give up the farm to get the carpets.

Threw in the carpet thing just to remind everyone who initiated the glib and trite stuff about Persian carpets, losing the farm and the sky falling. We even found out whose ex has a bunch of the carpets, which anyway comes under the category of too much info cause nobody here cares even marginally.

And youse guyz on the right should stop hoping and wishing and praying one or more of the other P5+1 excluding the US of course will tank the deal, coz none of 'em will do that.

Say anyway for the sake of argument, one or more of the other negotiators wanted to scupper the deal -- which will not happen -- but say for the sake of argument, then all they'd need to do is to wait to see if the congress maximus with Republican Senator Bibi can pell mell make a lucky strike and crash the deal, which is Constitutionally impossible anyway, given it's an Executive Agreement by the president rather than a treaty.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/476713-carpet-rug-cleaning/

• Like 2

"If he was going to capitulate anyway, why waste all this time?"

He's quite a bit closer now to being able to run out the clock. In less than 2 yrs, it'll be his successor's fault.

The P5+1 are radically diverse nations just looking at their different forms of government, different societies, varying cultures, civilizations, histories, national interests and much more.

They have done exceedingly well to accommodate one another and to establish the unified and united single issue cause of a nuclear Iran.

If Neville Chamberlain had gone to Munich with the POTUS, the PM of France, the leader of Soviet Russia who was in fact an ally during the war, and if there had been the United Nations and its Security Council in support of peace, no one would remember Mr. Chamberlain's name or his single endeavor, or his necessarily meaningless and unenforceable lone piece of paper flapping in the wind.

The business of responsible and reasonable world leaders is to work at all times for peace, not to consciously and willfully campaign for and to pursue war.

Frankly speaking, Mr. Netanyahu is Mr. Chamberlain's foil because the PM of Israel is campaigning for no peace in our time.

• Like 1

Thus far there is no "deal"

Most everyone is aware there is a Framework Agreement, which is a preliminary agreement, with a schedule and date set by the P5+1 for a final agreement at mid-year, roughly June 30th, so the post is not a news bulletin.