Solid advice for temporary lodging post knee surgery and other stuff

toesolipsolie

Greetings to all those who may be of assistance in this inquiry. After scouring the Changmai forums for a suitable orthopedic surgeon to scope my knee and getting some very good feedback I am on to the next step and hopefully the great guidance will keep rolling in. So I will be arriving in Thailand on 20' April and just as soon as I can I will come to Changmai to get on with my procedure. So if you were me and you knew these variables what would you do?

1) I need suitable lodging for + - 2 months and I would like to know where and what part of Changmai would be close to restaurants, laundry, markets or supermarkets ( Big C or Tesco I guess). 5 years ago I lived and worked in Bangkok for a period of time and I am aware of the requirements for long term and short term rentals, at least at that time but I know very little of about Changmai. If you can imagine yourself needing these amenities whilst hobbling around on crutches until you could walk then you will clearly understand, guess I'm going to need a building with an elevator, and a pool and or gym would be nice if it could help in my rehabilitation. I have looked at Agoda, Hotels.com, etc. Serviced apartments can work well but there may be some better alternatives below the radar that you guys are aware of. In order for you to give any sound advice, how much I want to spend becomes relevant here and I'm guessing I need to be prepared to spend between $500-$800 a month depending on all the things that it depends on!

2) It might be wise to look for a helper for a few hundred baht a day in the early going and I have no idea if that's doable or if a few hundred baht a day will get you that kind of help. Maybe you have some ideas for that as well.

The" other stuff " referenced in the Topic title will most likely be supplied by all of your input and will represent all of the things I have already or will overlook, smile.png

All the best and thank you in advance for your help!

What are you having done. both my wife and myself back in Canada had arthroscopic surgery done on are knee's. we got off the surgery table and walked out to the car.

If you are having the knee replaced I would not worry about how close you are to a shopping center if you are on crutches chances are you will be looking for transport to get you to one. I would suggest looking for a place where transport is easy to get.

Have you ever had knee arthroscopy before? Depending on what they need to do during the scope, your recovery might be far easier and quicker than you are anticipating. I have had numerous arthroscopies done on both knees, and have never needed to use crutches for more than a day or two after. If of course, you are having more extensive surgery, I can definitely appreciate your concern (I have spent a little over two years of my life on crutches!)

You shouldn't have any problem at all finding a unit in a condo that suits your needs, and falls within the budget you have mentioned.I have been here in Chiang Mai since Jan.30, and have stayed in a couple of different condos with a pool and fitness centre. Different areas have different things to offer. I like both the Nimman area and the Night Bazaar area, but I'm sure I would enjoy any area near the Old City. Transport is inexpensive here.

You can have many things delivered right to your door here, including groceries, fresh-baked bread, and restaurant food.

-Tops Market: Register for their on-line shopping, and they will deliver groceries, alcohol, and various household items to your door for free, as long as the order is at least 1000 baht. The only problem is that their on-line shopping does not offer much variety of fresh food and dairy.

-Tesco Lotus: Also offers online shopping, and has refrigerated delivery trucks (so much better selection available). They charge a flat fee for delivery (I believe it is 60 baht) so it really doesn't matter how much or how little you order.

-Food Panda: A restaurant delivery service (there are others as well). Again, you register with their site on-line (it can be a bit tricky using their site the very first time, but much easier afterward). They have menus and prices (and, in many cases, photos) for a vast number of restaurants in the city, and will deliver to your door for a flat fee of 40 baht with a minimum order of 150 baht. I have found them to be very reliable.

-Fresh baked bread: I order bread, fresh homemade peanut butter, hummus, bruschetta, and various other delicious items from a place called Chiang Mai Bread. they offer free delivery for orders over 100 baht. They have a FB page, and I order by sending them messages on FB.

ALL of the places I've mentioned allow you to pay in cash at time of delivery.

I hope this helps! Best of luck with your surgery!smile.png

• Like 1

What are you having done. both my wife and myself back in Canada had arthroscopic surgery done on are knee's. we got off the surgery table and walked out to the car.

If you are having the knee replaced I would not worry about how close you are to a shopping center if you are on crutches chances are you will be looking for transport to get you to one. I would suggest looking for a place where transport is easy to get.

Hi Northernjohn,

Thank you for your reply and no,.....nothing as serious as a knee replacement.

The short answer is that I have endured tears to the meniscus for about 10 years that have been coped with by exercise and in the past three weeks it has gotten quite painful owing to a slip and a fall that has me not getting around well. I have never had any surgery done to my knees before so it's an unknown exactly what will have to be done and that of course will have to be determined by the doctor and most likely after a new MRI. All I know is the pain, crunching, popping, noises cant be good so its time to get it fixed.

In the absence of not knowing exactly what must be done I'm just making assumptions about how much time it could take to rehabilitate enough to get back on a plane back to the states. From my research it's really about doing the physical therapy and strengthening exercises and my expectation is that you would have to be around a facility and under some supervision to do it.

• Like 1

Thanks khuls! Informative and helpful response,.....

Have you ever had knee arthroscopy before? Depending on what they need to do during the scope, your recovery might be far easier and quicker than you are anticipating. I have had numerous arthroscopies done on both knees, and have never needed to use crutches for more than a day or two after. If of course, you are having more extensive surgery, I can definitely appreciate your concern (I have spent a little over two years of my life on crutches!)

I am a total rookie on knee procedures and already I am feeling better abut it!

You shouldn't have any problem at all finding a unit in a condo that suits your needs, and falls within the budget you have mentioned.I have been here in Chiang Mai since Jan.30, and have stayed in a couple of different condos with a pool and fitness centre. Different areas have different things to offer. I like both the Nimman area and the Night Bazaar area, but I'm sure I would enjoy any area near the Old City. Transport is inexpensive here.

Can you provide the names of these condos?

You can have many things delivered right to your door here, including groceries, fresh-baked bread, and restaurant food.

-Tops Market: Register for their on-line shopping, and they will deliver groceries, alcohol, and various household items to your door for free, as long as the order is at least 1000 baht. The only problem is that their on-line shopping does not offer much variety of fresh food and dairy.

-Tesco Lotus: Also offers online shopping, and has refrigerated delivery trucks (so much better selection available). They charge a flat fee for delivery (I believe it is 60 baht) so it really doesn't matter how much or how little you order.

-Food Panda: A restaurant delivery service (there are others as well). Again, you register with their site on-line (it can be a bit tricky using their site the very first time, but much easier afterward). They have menus and prices (and, in many cases, photos) for a vast number of restaurants in the city, and will deliver to your door for a flat fee of 40 baht with a minimum order of 150 baht. I have found them to be very reliable.

-Fresh baked bread: I order bread, fresh homemade peanut butter, hummus, bruschetta, and various other delicious items from a place called Chiang Mai Bread. they offer free delivery for orders over 100 baht. They have a FB page, and I order by sending them messages on FB.

great information!

Cheers

Some good advice above. But are you really flying to Chiang Mai just t have your knee sorted then flying back to US again? Or have I misunderstood?

Surprised that flying CM and back is your best treatment option but you know best.

If you envisage daily therapy, may be it would be good to be near the clinic?

Rajavej is a good hospital, opposite Holiday Inn which has a small gym (and pool)you can join without staying there.

Riverside Condo next door has a nice pool and some owners offer short stays. There is also a physio clinic nearby.

It seems you have chosen your surgeon already and whether or not he operates at Rajavej you could find by asking him./her I guess. Similarly, what to expect for rehab, which would give you a greater understanding of where it would be good to locate and for how long.

Good luck with it all. I play badminton with a thai surgeon who has had his knees done and you would never know. He is active to the point of frenetic- and a very very good player. So hopefully you can look forward to a 100% recovery.

Hello Beau thai!

Some good advice above. But are you really flying to Chiang Mai just t have your knee sorted then flying back to US again? Or have I misunderstood?

It's all true,... and perhaps it would be more succinct to say that I am flying to Thailand and more narrowly Chang Mai to have my knee sorted. There is no misunderstanding there at all and by my reckoning I will be able to have the procedure, rehab in Thailand, maybe make some new friends, and all for much less than my deductible for all of this here in the states.

Surprised that flying CM and back is your best treatment option but you know best.

I could still do it in Bangkok but my gut feeling is that this is the way to go however,.. I would be interested in knowing why you re surprised if you have the desire and inclination to tell me.

If you envisage daily therapy, may be it would be good to be near the clinic?

Exactly

Rajavej is a good hospital, opposite Holiday Inn which has a small gym (and pool)you can join without staying there.

Riverside Condo next door has a nice pool and some owners offer short stays. There is also a physio clinic nearby.

It seems you have chosen your surgeon already and whether or not he operates at Rajavej you could find by asking him./her I guess. Similarly, what to expect for rehab, which would give you a greater understanding of where it would be good to locate and for how long.

Good luck with it all. I play badminton with a thai surgeon who has had his knees done and you would never know. He is active to the point of frenetic- and a very very good player. So hopefully you can look forward to a 100% recovery.

This is good stuff you have provided here Beau Thai and extremely helpful,...many thanks!

I had knee arthroscopy last month at Rajavej by Dr. Chanakarn.

Up full weight bearing next day, quick trip down to the physio to know what exercises are best.

Went home and carried on as normal, didn't even need the crutches.

PS It's easier to get on a sontheaw (in the back) than bending into a Tuk Tuk.

Yes!

For some of my arthroscopies, I didn't require crutches either, but for a few of them (depending how much trimming and cleaning the surgeon had to do), I used crutches for a day or two at most. Main thing post-op is to keep your leg elevated, and ice it frequently for the first 24 hours. I usually didn't need anything more for pain than extra-strength acetaminophen, and for some, I didn't need anything at all. Physio is typically straightforward, and might not even require a gym facility. Quite often, the list of exercises they give you can be done right at home, with very simple equipment.

Edited by kkuls

Where are you having the procedure done? You'll probably want to stay close to there so you can avail yourself of some physiotherapy afterwards.

I had complicated tears on the medial and interior, which were taken care of plus a partial menisectomy.

The only physio that will be needed afterwards is a quick trip downstairs to show you a few exercises, which you can do at home.

Khun Diow in physio even told me I could do squats and ride a motor scooter if I liked, provided it was automatic. She's a bright girl and a very good physio. Said she didn't need to see me again, but to call if I had problems.

I think the physio dept at Rajavej is by far the best in Chiang Mai, staff are very knowledgeable and caring.

There's no question that Dr Chanakarn is the top arthroscopic surgeon in Chiang Mai for knees.

Have you had knee arthroscopy Nancy?

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

You might need a cane for a few days, up to a week. I see lots of folks, just old, with canes so you won't be too conspicuous. When i had a knee surgery, 48 yrs ago, i spent 6 weeks in a full leg cast, in San Francisco hobbling up and down the hills. You won't have it nearly as bad. Don't sweat it at all.

great information!

Cheers

I think my surprise at your treatment option just reflects my ignorance of USA healthcare costs- and high deductibles!

I know some folks select a European country for 'health tourism' but have no idea which may be best for what you need- and maybe you have found the best value all round package for you.

I suspect you are feeling better as a result of some very good stuff from other posters here who have had such good results from their knee treatments.

Best of luck

Where are you having the procedure done? You'll probably want to stay close to there so you can avail yourself of some physiotherapy afterwards.

Hi Nancy L!

It is my desire to have the procedure done at Rajavej and by Dr. Charnakarn. The endorsements provided here and in this and other threads combined with his accreditation at the hospital works for me. He doesn't know he'll be doing the procedure yet so hopefully he will be around when I get to Changmai. I do understand he travels to the USA which is another reason I have allowed 2-3 months for all of this to take place. Perhaps there are other orthopedic surgeons in Changmai but I would rather have the work done by a surgeon who specializes in knees.

i noticed your contributions to other threads indicate quite a specific knowledge of nursing and nursing hospital operations so thank you for your help. One other thing you and others might know,...what do they prescribe for pain if it all? Were this done in the states I expect that something like Vicadon might be prescribed.

Thanks!

great information!

Cheers

I think my surprise at your treatment option just reflects my ignorance of USA healthcare costs- and high deductibles!

I know some folks select a European country for 'health tourism' but have no idea which may be best for what you need- and maybe you have found the best value all round package for you.

I suspect you are feeling better as a result of some very good stuff from other posters here who have had such good results from their knee treatments.

Best of luck

I absolutely feel better about everything that the very good stuff supplied by the TV community has provided. My thanks to you all and I will hopefully be able to help others once I have the procedure done.

"what do they prescribe for pain if it all? Were this done in the states I expect that something like Vicadon might be prescribed".

No way, you will be discharged on Arcoxia for 7 days and a few Ultracet tablets to take if necessary.

Edited by uptheos

Up full weight bearing next day, quick trip down to the physio to know what exercises are best.

Dr. Chanakarn. was recommended to me as the best arthroscopic surgeon in Thailand. When I saw him he recommended a knee replacement as due to y history He could not even assure me it would last three years.

That was over a year and a half ago. since then I have been taking MSM and it has been much better. Now starting to go down hill again.

Can't swear to it but I think he had mentioned in the neighborhood of 60,000 baht for arthroscopic surgery.

Edit

I might recommend you take it easy after the surgery. I had my hip replaced a year and a half ago and the doctor

(Dr. Chanakarn) told me that even though it felt good in a couple of days it would take 3 months to fully heal. I would imagine the time frame may be different but it will still take longer to fully heal than you think.

Just a thought

Edited by northernjohn

Dr. Chanakarn. was recommended to me as the best arthroscopic surgeon in Thailand. When I saw him he recommended a knee replacement as due to y history He could not even assure me it would last three years.

That was over a year and a half ago. since then I have been taking MSM and it has been much better. Now starting to go down hill again.

Can't swear to it but I think he had mentioned in the neighborhood of 60,000 baht for arthroscopic surgery.

Depends on the level of complication, mine was around 80,000 baht just over a month ago.

The pain relief post surgery is GREAT!!

Only took the Arcoxia for 7 days, didn't need any pain medication.

• Like 1

Edit

I might recommend you take it easy after the surgery. I had my hip replaced a year and a half ago and the doctor

(Dr. Chanakarn) told me that even though it felt good in a couple of days it would take 3 months to fully heal. I would imagine the time frame may be different but it will still take longer to fully heal than you think.

Just a thought

Good advice added.

You are quite right NJ although the knee might feel great, the healing process takes some time.

Khun Diow in physio will give you some exercises to do next morning, follow them religiously and ice up the knee when resting with the leg elevated.

Great advice and I will definitely take it. I know me,....I have to do something so I'm hoping the exercises can be combined with short walks. Sounds like I will need lots of books, lots of ice, and maybe a beer or two to ignite the Arcoxia, Ha,Ha. You know what? I'll buy you guys a beer for all the great advice.

Cheers

Great advice and I will definitely take it. I know me,....I have to do something so I'm hoping the exercises can be combined with short walks. Sounds like I will need lots of books, lots of ice, and maybe a beer or two to ignite the Arcoxia, Ha,Ha. You know what? I'll buy you guys a beer for all the great advice.

Cheers

You shouldn't have any trouble walking, though you might benefit from a cane (mainly to ease your mind) to make you feel secure. Don't take little shuffling steps walk slowly but normal. Khun Diow will give you the exercises you need, don't be surprised if she tells you that you can do squats, she did me though I felt apprehensive when doing a few. She's a good girl I have known her for a while and Khun Took is also excellent, if she's still there. Both know their stuff and they wouldn't suggest anything that might harm you. If there's any restrictions on what you can do Dr. Chanakarn will have liaised with them. He will see you the next morning and give you a nice CD with pictures of the inside of your knee before and after.

• Like 1

It probably would have been a good idea for the OP to have emailed Dr. C or Rajavej hospital to make sure he'd be in the country in late April/May, especially given the news that the doctor goes overseas for a few months at a time.He's definitely one of the best in Chiang Mai, but April/May are the school holidays and time when many Thai people travel.

As for places to stay near Rajavej Hospital, Riverside Condo is just across the street and it may be possible to rent a studio unit there by the month. The building has a pool and perhaps a gym. Certainly elevators and a fairly helpful staff. There are stores and Thai food stalls nearby. The Holiday Inn is between Riverside Condo and the hospital and they have a nice lunch buffet. I'm surprised no one has suggested Riverside condo yet.

No, uptheos, I've not had knee surgery and I've had limited experience assisting people who have. I've had much more experience helping people locally with hip replacement surgery -- another area where Dr. C is very good. And most of my experience has been with people who were victims of trauma -- falls -- not surgery because of wear and tear or previous injuries to their joints.

Not everyone gets up off the table and walks away after joint replacement surgery. Much depends up on the person's general physical condition prior to surgery and why they needed joint replacement surgery. Not every joint replacement surgery is elective surgery and often when it's not, physiotherapy after the procedure is needed.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

The two people (you know who you are) who continue to air their personal issues here are both going to lose their posting rights for a long time if I see any further derailing of topics with their off-topic personal issues. Enough is enough, time for both of you to grow up.