Anyone in Thailand running a Slingbox?

PHP87

Will be retiring to CM in about 18 months and would like to have TV from the US

I was thinking of using a Slingbox and having the host box at my Brother's house in California

Is anyone successfully running this type of setup?

Also what is the best / fastest ISP in CM and how much?

Yes I use also Slingbox here access EUROPE tv channels around 8000 with a motorized satellite dish and diseq motor over dreambox also tons of English tv like BBC and sky!

Important Is your isp upload in your home country!

Not here!

Any Isp can stream it!

Port using 5022 from my memory!

I not have any access to U.S. local tv!

If you want I can give you my account data

That you have more channels , and you give me yours from the U.S.!?

When we install slingbox in your home make sure

The 2 remote sensors is placed directly around 5 cm away in front of slingbox

The other same distance in front of the device you streaming !

Dreambox works fine. , other virtual remotes are avalible but I don't know what kind of, some other receiver you canot change Chanel when virtual remote not avalible!

Your stream only one person

At want time can access

If 2. Log in at same time it kicks you out

Other problem the zapping is slowly with around 5 secounds for each channel little bit tricky to browse inside menu structure!

A better option would be streaming directly with your dreambox then no slingbox needed , but setup difficult to made , must also done in your router, need a lot of time , not yet tested but it works!

Here I install also a slingbox soon in friends house

To stream australia network from his true vision box to me!

In Europe I can receive the signal also in cband 68 e , but I not found any Smartcard for it!

Try to contact Ausi plus on Facebook but aswer was only for nationals !

So sling box is the only way, then you get that what you want!

I can setup more slingbox if needed but ISp costs on my country with cable tv 50 Mbit down and 4 Mbit up

Coasts me around 100€ a month!

Best regards!

Sandman

If you have more questions plz send pm!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Don't have a Slingbox yet so I don't have an account to share with you and vice-versa, but it sounds good.

I do wonder though if more than one user can log into an account simultaneously?

I used to tinker with sats here in the US -- I used to run a 1 Meter dish with a Diseqc Motor as well as flashing DVB boxes to get all kinds of programming, but most channels are encrypted now.

I will just use my Brother's cable subscription for US TV when the time comes and will probably just use a PC with a large LCD Monitor for viewing.

Seems like a better alternative than subbing to Thai cable channels.

Can you buy a Slingbox in Thailand or did you bring it to the Kingdom?

i have 2 slings running from stateside to here. a designated cable box for each slingbox preferably one that nobody will use but you.otherwise you end up watching what there watching. only1 user per box. u both cant b watching different channels at the same time off the same cable /sat box. i am using the solo slingboxes. But all in all its ok. my picture is just fair ... would b better probably if i had a tv with a vga input and connected to vga output of laptop.

good luck

by the way sling is hooked up in the country your will recieve your signal from... for you the US /bros home

and then you just log on to acct on internet

Edited by INDI12
  • Like 1

Never see a sling box here!

I cand send you one if you need here 220 volt same voltage in thailand like eu but in the us you need 110 volt!

Often I try slingbox in public Wifis here and not always is working when communication port may closed by provider

Or router settings then you must log in manually to your sling and change ip manually

Easier way IMHO is to use ustvnow.com. You can legally, as US military or US overseas national watch either the free live streams or subscribe to their DVR service. The feeds you get are based around Harrisburg PA, but it steams without any effort. It looks and feels like a standard cable package you would get back home.

Slingbox just adds that extra complication of the upstream from the source home, but others may disagree.

• Like 1

Easier way IMHO is to use ustvnow.com. You can legally, as US military or US overseas national watch either the free live streams or subscribe to their DVR service. The feeds you get are based around Harrisburg PA, but it steams without any effort. It looks and feels like a standard cable package you would get back home.

Slingbox just adds that extra complication of the upstream from the source home, but others may disagree.

I did check into ustvnow, but the channel selection is limited to 29 channels although HD comes thru very nicely on my PC as I signed up for the 6 Channel trial.

With a Slingbox located at my Brother's home, I can get all my local channels, catch up on local news as well as watch my home sports teams although I do plan on getting a subscription to the NFL Package online, or at least NFL Rewind which is less costly, which shows the games the following day, but you can then watch them anytime after that and commercial free.

Other than paying for the Slingbox hardware, I would only have to pay a monthly fee for an extra cable box at my Brother's house and I would have access to over 100 HD channels + any PPV channels, although I would have to pay for those and would watch them on a large LCD connected via laptop with an HDMI output.

I would probably sub to basic Thai cable just for news and weather as well.

What kind of Internet speeds and cost can one expect in CM for a fast ISP?

BTW, www.projectfreetv.ch has a great library of TV shows as well as some movies and is free, so I would recommend that as a free add-on to whatever anyone is using now, and no registration required.

Edited by PHP87

Are some U.S. Soldier here?

I looking for a afn American force network activated Cisco decoder signal is avalible in Europe , but only a active soldier have possibility to get this decoder, if someone can help me plz send pm !

Thx!

Are some U.S. Soldier here?

I looking for a afn American force network activated Cisco decoder signal is avalible in Europe , but only a active soldier have possibility to get this decoder, if someone can help me plz send pm !

Thx!

Before we get too carried away, I'm assuming you mean a Cisco D9865 AFN receiver/decoder?

Now, my military days are long over, but as it happens I was talking to my daughters BF over Christmas who's in the Army about 'all things geeky' and we were discussing this. I 'think' if I recall correctly he told me you only get one decoder per person issued to you though Housing Office Support. If that's true you may be sh*t outta luck.

I'll try to confirm tomorrow

I tried slingbox about a year ago. The picture quality wasn't that good and I got a fair amount of stuttering. I know my internet connection here is not great, so that could have been the reason.

Depends on what you are looking for. I've got a 5.1 stereo hooked up to my TV, so try to only watch 1080p content.

I tried slingbox about a year ago. The picture quality wasn't that good and I got a fair amount of stuttering. I know my internet connection here is not great, so that could have been the reason.

Depends on what you are looking for. I've got a 5.1 stereo hooked up to my TV, so try to only watch 1080p content.

I think you kinda hit the nail on the head with regards to, what are you looking for. I'm in the TV looking like TV mode. I don't watch much on a laptop and with Roku, AppleTV I want it all to look as much as possible like TV you would watch at home; seamless sat looking at a TV with a remote control

Slingbox 'can' look perfect, but it is hugely dependent on the upload link, then add to that the variably of Thai downloads , and well as they say, All Bets Are Off.

• Like 1