Thai Labour Ministry considering ways to raise minimum wage next year

webfact

I'm glad to hear that the "happiness to the people" campaign is alive and kicking.

All the Thai employers, will be over the moon after hearing this.

I'm not against raising the minimum wages but first wait and see how the economy is progressing and then put through populist suggestions.

What can happen is, there will be no enterprises left to pay not only the minimum wages but any wages at all.

In many large industries in Thailand the profit margin is very high. Many business owners are simply not prepared to reduce their own cut to provide a fair wage for the worker. They keep screaming and shouting that their costs are going up and cannot make sales, but the bottom line is they are not prepared to reduce their income for the sake of sales and the work force. When you are taking home say 10 million a month, you would think they could reduce that to say 8 million for the sake of their business and workforce. But no. So many greedy business operators in Thailand.

Spot on!!

A good example is CPALL (owner of 7-Eleven Thailand), they are probably paying their staff 8-9000/month.

Compare that to their 2014 net profit of 20.5 billion baht!!

That is CP for you

Fine, raise the Minimum Wage but it should be for people who WORK, not sit around playing with a smartphone and/ or picking their nose.

What about an additional bonus based on the company's and the team's performance?

Guess a team should be able to break it down to the individuals' contributions.

I'm glad to hear that the "happiness to the people" campaign is alive and kicking.

I'm not against raising the minimum wages but first wait and see how the economy is progressing and then put through populist suggestions.

What can happen is, there will be no enterprises left to pay not only the minimum wages but any wages at all.

In many large industries in Thailand the profit margin is very high. Many business owners are simply not prepared to reduce their own cut to provide a fair wage for the worker. They keep screaming and shouting that their costs are going up and cannot make sales, but the bottom line is they are not prepared to reduce their income for the sake of sales and the work force. When you are taking home say 10 million a month, you would think they could reduce that to say 8 million for the sake of their business and workforce. But no. So many greedy business operators in Thailand.

Spot on!!

A good example is CPALL (owner of 7-Eleven Thailand), they are probably paying their staff 8-9000/month.

That is CP for you

7/11 is franchising, so CP have rarely any entrepreneurial risk.

why not make this a yearly thing

you know, to keep the people happy

20% increase for doing exactly the same

only for thais, right, no need to pay more your myanmar / laos /cambodian house slave

I think 20% is probably a bit on the low side, don't you agree? Especially for staff say at for instance GLOBAL who watch TV during the day instead of dealing with customers (but then, they have no clue as to "what is where or how it works", so small difference, I suppose). And then, these staff should also get an annual bonus (guaranteed) of at least six months salary, plus free lunch and transport.

I am generalising of course but I have rarely seen more lazy staff in shops or supermarkets than in Isaan. These businesses also employ far too many people than necessary (15 staff standing around, and two check-outs open...), which results in higher prices for consumers, and inflation. Better to streamline thoses businesses and keep prices steady, and everybody benefits. And with the low unemployment here, these staff will easily find new jobs, right?

Spot on!!

That is CP for you

7/11 is franchising, so CP have rarely any entrepreneurial risk.

Everything CP does reduces their risk.

Produce pork? Buy all the feed from them.

Produce rice? Buy all the inputs

Produce shrimp? Buy all the fry, vets supplies from them.

Then they set the price u receive.

They are a gorgon feasting on the Thai populous. They were beneficial 20 years ago, but now they are an obstruction to the market

• Like 2

Talking like a true 'elite" supporter!!

Never mind if the poor are hungry, as long as we can afford gasoline to the Lamborghini...........coffee1.gif

There will always be "the have's", "have some" and the" have very little". When the minimum was increased to 300 baht per day from 200 it put a strain on lots of companies. Yes there are some that make big profits on the back on the poor but these are the exception rather than the rule.

If the EU increased the minimum wage by 50% how many jobs would be lost.

The threat to shift production to countries where exploitation is easier is well noticed.

Not to be taken too serious in primary and tertiary economic sectors. You won't go abroad for a haircut, domestic transportation will remain domestic, Thai infrastructure projects will be implemented in Thailand, etc.

Unemployment in Europe is extremely high even in countries with no minimum wage at all.

And I still wonder why nobody thinks about maximum profits.

If they increase by less than 10% I think its pretty fair as most people are being paid more than 300 baht/day anyways due to the shortage of labor. Thai Labour Ministry can do more good by allowing more foreign workers in to prop up all sectors.