Bangkok Scenes 1985, 1986, 1996

Even in a fast moving city like Bangkok the change is so gradual that it is hard to remember what was there before. I do remember Sukhumvit without the BTS and the Asoke intersection, but somehow I always felt it was dense build and crowded.

------------------------------------

Question: Does anyone have photos from the 1980's probably before 1985 at the latest when Sukhumvit road still had the Khlong running parallel with it around Soi 30 or so and there were small bridges you had to cross to get from the sidewalks/pavements to cross Sukhumvit? That was before the BTS was constructed.....I believe about 1983 or before.

I was living in a guesthouse on Soi 38 then and I recall a friend who was walking home to Soi 38 one night slightly intoxicated who somehow managed to fall off one of those bridges into the Khlong. A German guy if I recall correctly.

I believe it was in the area where the Emporium was later built, but obviously before the Emporium was there.

I also remember that just as you came to the turn to Soi 38 there was a 2nd floor company called Pacific Overseas Trading, that had a sign displaying it's stylized flower trademark and the initials of it's name POT on a 2nd floor sign visible from Sukhumvit.

Edited by IMA_FARANG