New Airport shuttle Bus Will Get You to Many Locations For Only 40 Baht

uptheos

The route doesn't work for me, but it will be a welcome addition for the budget traveler. Does anyone know if the airport taxi drivers still need to pay a hefty upfront fee plus extra monthly fee to ply the airport route. I usually just pick up visitors at the airport unless they are the type that don't really care if the taxi or transport is metered.

Looks like the Route 1 stops at , or next to, Kad Suan Kaew. Which is very near Nankornping condo and other high density (farangs) spots. May give it a try next time i need a transport. 40 baht better than 100 baht, the songtiow price to Nankornping. I don't mind walking the short way. Although in the hot summer even that walk, with baggage, can be stressful.

A very good move by the airport. Too many vehicles going to the airport already. Its strange that they don't seem to be running one of these minibuses around the moat or across the old city like down Ratchadamnern to Wat Prasingh or similar?

One big scam in my opinion.

Arrived to Chiang Mai airport last night at 10pm and wanted to use that new service.

Went to Shuttle Bus stop. Schedule is right there, next bus should leave at 10:30 pm. Bus is scheduled every 30 min, with last one at 3:30am. It was 10:20 at that moment.

Bus was waitng. No customers around, just driver. Driver insisted me to pay 300 baht for the ride, and he will go only with me. I said no, I want to go with the scheduled bus, and pay 40 baht for the ride, as it is advertised in the local news.

Driver laughed. Said if bus is not full, he will not go.

Then chinese couple came. Driver told them the same story. They accepted to pay 300 baht. Bus left with them only. So how the hell they can get the bus full if they do like that ?

It was 10:25pm. I was waiting until 10:40pm for possible scheduled bus, but nothing came.

Left with the taxi for 120 baht to Nimman.

So my question is : is it driver scamming ? Or this is normal policy when low number of customers ? I guess this is new service and people at the airport have no idea about this shuttle bus, plus it was late night time (bus still busy airport time).

I didn't have a good feeling about it, especially knowing that taxi is 120 baht.

• Like 2

Arrived to Chiang Mai airport last night at 10pm and wanted to use that new service.

Went to Shuttle Bus stop. Schedule is right there, next bus should leave at 10:30 pm. Bus is scheduled every 30 min, with last one at 3:30am. It was 10:20 at that moment.

Bus was waitng. No customers around, just driver. Driver insisted me to pay 300 baht for the ride, and he will go only with me. I said no, I want to go with the scheduled bus, and pay 40 baht for the ride, as it is advertised in the local news.

Then chinese couple came. Driver told them the same story. They accepted to pay 300 baht. Bus left with them only. So how the hell they can get the bus full if they do like that ?

It was 10:25pm. I was waiting until 10:40pm for possible scheduled bus, but nothing came.

So my question is : is it driver scamming ? Or this is normal policy when low number of customers ? I guess this is new service and people at the airport have no idea about this shuttle bus, plus it was late night time (bus still busy airport time).

I didn't have a good feeling about it, especially knowing that taxi is 120 baht.

If that's true, then that's an ominous beginning. Which taxi took you for 120 thb? The fare has been 160 thb since last September at both of the "window" places in baggage claim area.

Edited by TheAppletons

And there was me thinking that it was going to come out to Borsang biggrin.png all jokes aside, are people using hotels such as the "The Chedi " going to want to wait and get on a mini bus for 40 baht per person when they can get a taxi for 200 baht ?

• Like 1

re

Which taxi took you for 120 thb? The fare has been 160 thb since last September at both of the "window" places in baggage claim area

not yesterday afternoon !

i flew in from yangon .yesterday and walked from international arrivals looking for a d tac shop which i didnt find to top up my phone

and all the taxi windows by domestic arrivals door were charging 250 baht for any trip into town

a songkran rip off .... ive no idea ... but that is what they were charging

dave2

post-42592-0-46258500-1428998562_thumb.j

re

Which taxi took you for 120 thb? The fare has been 160 thb since last September at both of the "window" places in baggage claim area

not yesterday afternoon !

i flew in from yangon .yesterday and walked from international arrivals looking for a d tac shop which i didnt find to top up my phone

and all the taxi windows by domestic arrivals door were charging 250 baht for any trip into town

a songkran rip off .... ive no idea ... but that is what they were charging

dave2

I think you have hit the nail on the head with the Songkran rip off. Now is not the time to judge it wait for normal low season and high season. If it lasts that long.

I thought that particular taxi went up to 160 a few months back.........maybe I'm mistaken.

And there was me thinking that it was going to come out to Borsang biggrin.png all jokes aside, are people using hotels such as the "The Chedi " going to want to wait and get on a mini bus for 40 baht per person when they can get a taxi for 200 baht ?

If anyone arrives in Chiang Mai looking for The Chedi they are going to be greatly disappointed.

If I have baggage, then they 'have' me; however, for most LoS flights I take a comfy backpack which enables me to walk to the shopping centre, and then get a red truck, for 20 - 40 B, to the old city.smile.png

yellow is 10 from AP Plaza.

• Like 1

At that time you will also have regular red bus songthaews passing that will take you for 40 baht. (Possibly not to Nimman, but downtown wasn't a problem for 40 baht last time. (Driver actually didn't ask for any specific amount, but gave him 40 anyway.)

• Like 2

Does not take long for the extortion and corruption to begin does it?