Old Croc

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Irwin reportedly killed in freak accident

Monday Sep 4 14:00 AEST

By ninemsn staff writers

BREAKING NEWS: Steve "The Crocodile Hunter" Irwin is reportedly dead after being attacked by a stingray during the filming of a new TV series.

The 44-year-old's chest is believed to have been pierced by the stingray barb.

He was filming an underwater documentary about 32 nautical miles off Port Douglas when the accident occurred.

According to a Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman, a Cairns ambulance chopper made an emergency flight to an island in the area at midday today.

Although the QAS would not confirm Irwin as the victim, it is understood that the man the officers treated at the scene was the popular crocodile wrangler.

He was pronounced dead on the island, and his body is now being flown to Cairns.

It's believed Mr Irwin's American-born wife Terri is trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and has yet to be told of her husband's death.

Mr Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

The father of two's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He's also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

Wow that's seriously bad luck, I've never heard of fatal stingray bites to healthy people, only very young kids. 99% of stings are on the foot, freak accident!

I always thought he'd be taken by an animal, who'd have thought a stingray tho.

This story is now in all the newspapers. It's tragic.

Steve had his detractors but he had star quality about him that was unique.

He typified the legendary Aussie larrikin.

It just goes to prove that creatures of the wild and just that.....wild. No matter how good you are or how good you think you are, you risk your life every time you mess with them.

RIP Steve.

steve_irwin150.jpg

Definately a tragic loss. He was a great "ambassador" for Australia and I believe is responsible for making the wildlife shows popular. His was the class act that others tried to achieve.

I question the fact that the media is so free in releasing information if it is true that his wife still hasn't been notified. They were a true loving family and a great team.

Waow !.... playing with fire it dangerous. Steve knew the odds, and thats what attracted the viewers. Remember one off air clip when he got stunk by something ( snake I think ), and he said " thats it, I have had enough of this".

Stingrays can inflict very bad stings and pain, and ifhe got hit in the chest near the heart ( freak ), well, thats not the best place to be hit.

RIP. Was a nice show, and my Mrs. loved it

Stingray skin is also known as shagreen. You can find it in shops all round NEP. Shoes, wallets etc. Its a very tough and waterproof leather.

I think the stingray itself appreciates its waterproof qualities given its aquatic habitat.

I don't know what will happen to the stingray that dealt the fatal blow to Stevo. I feel sure he would not want it turned into a handbag nonetheless.

i suppose if you asked steve what he thinks about it all,

he'd say,

cricky's mate,

" what a great way to go out "

something like that will happen sooner or later if you play with animals for a living. :D

bit like being in los really,

if you play the bar girl game long enough you'll come a cropper sooner or latter. :D

cheers friends :o