Steve Irwin Dead

Old Croc

I remember when David Hookes died and the Aussies on Thaivisa got a bit maudlin and, in fact aggressive, when it was pointed out that he was not the same calibre of cricketer as Geoffrey Boycott.

Aussies do have a pronounced and unexpected emotional side, and this empathy does sometimes come across strongly.

yes this is true concerning us aussie's,

it's called putting mouth into gear with out using the clutch.

most of us have good intention but some times come undone with unintentional words.

the forum is a good example because if your a bit stupid and jot down a load of old bollicks the punters come a head hunting.

i love it really, as it keeps the brain matter cranking. :D

but papa,

the punters have heaps of trouble pining myself down as im on top of my game at all times.

the one and only terry57. top aussie punter. :D

anyway getting back into it,

id like to say that we cant compare jeff boycott and david hookes with steve irwin. :D

the former 2 are indeed aussie legend but did not touch anywere as near many people as steve did.

steve transended sport and connected with every type of human in every country on every level.

i suppose in conclusion,

he was a top aussie fella operating on an extraodinary and learn'ed level. :D

irreplaceable actually, as there is no other aussie with this personality. :D

cheers friend :o

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when David Hookes died and the Aussies on Thaivisa got a bit maudlin and, in fact aggressive, when it was pointed out that he was not the same calibre of cricketer as Geoffrey Boycott.

Aussies do have a pronounced and unexpected emotional side, and this empathy does sometimes come across strongly.

Yes, rather like the Catholic and Polish members did when Pope John Paul II died.

Oh, hang on, no .... . that didnt happen did it? He might have appeared on Thai tv once or twice, but he's not such an important world figure . . . .

My letter to the South China Morning Post in commemoration of the memory of the passing of Steve Irvine.

Dear Sir,

Steve "Croc Hunter" Irvine would never have had met his unfortunate end if he lived in Hong Kong. Because:-

1) All marine life is pretty much dead here anyway (Last sunday in Sheung Wan I saw an old woman toss a half-finished Heineken can into the harbour - I couldn't have done that if someone had paid me HK$500. I nearly threw the old sow in after her beer can)

2) If there was anything as delicious as a sting ray swimming around, we'd have eaten it already. (The eyes are the best bit, ai-yah!)

Papa Lazarou

Sheung Wan

Edited by Papa_Lazarou

Tributes pour in for 'Crocodile Hunter' Irwin, death caught on film

Sydney - Tributes flooded in from across the globe Tuesday for legendary Australian "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin a day after he died in a freak stingray attack that was captured on film.

As fans and media mourned the death of the irrepressible naturalist who became Australia's best-known ambassador, the premier of northeastern Queensland state, where Irwin lived and died, offered him a state funeral.

Australian movie star Russell Crowe, Prime Minister John Howard and Foreign Minister Alexander Downer meanwhile joined thousands of stunned fans in paying homage to Irwin, who died when a stingray's barb pierced his heart as he filmed an underwater documentary on Monday.

Newspapers around the world carried front-page reports on Irwin's grisly death at the age of 44 and on his life as a passionate environmental crusader and global media star.

"He was the Australian we all aspire to be," Irwin's friend Crowe said from New York in comments widely reported by the Australian media. "He was and remains the ultimate wildlife warrior.

"I believed in him. I'll miss him," the Oscar-winning star of such films as "Gladiator" and "A Beautiful Mind" said of Irwin, who is believed to have died instantly.

The attack as Irwin snorkelled about one metre (three feet) above the ray in shallow water off the town of Port Douglas was caught on film by a cameraman who was swimming ahead of the creature, police and Irwin's producers said.

Irwin's longtime friend and "Crocodile Hunter" television producer John Stainton, who had gone out to sea with Irwin on Monday, said the film of the deadly encounter was "shocking".

"I did see the footage and it's shocking," Stainton told reporters in Cairns. "It's a very hard thing to watch because you're actually witnessing somebody die ... and it's terrible.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone," he said.

While stingrays rarely attack humans -- only three other deaths by stingray have reportedly been recorded in Australia and only 17 worldwide -- their 20-centimetre (eight-inch) venomous barbs can be lethal.

Coroners in Cairns in the northeastern state of Queensland carried out an autopsy on Irwin late Monday and initial results confirmed that he died after being speared in the chest by the ray's barbed tail while he was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef.

"We're not going into the detail but there's definitely no surprises. Everyone knows how he died," a police spokeswoman said of the post-mortem examination, details of which will be released at a coroner's inquest.

It remained unclear whether the ebullient Irwin died of blood loss, a heart attack induced by the blow or from the ray's venom, media reports said.

Coroners have a copy of the video and will examine it ahead of the inquest, the date of which has yet to be set, Queensland police spokeswoman Andrea Lennard told AFP.

"We don't think there will be any surprises on it, but it will be an added element for the coroner to examine," she said.

While no details of funeral arrangements for Irwin have been revealed, Queensland Premier Peter Beattie said the man known around the world for his ebullience, thick Aussie accent and khaki bush gear, would get a Queensland state funeral if his widow Terri requested one.

"He will be remembered as not just a great Queenslander, but a great Australian," Beattie told Channel Seven news, adding that Irwin was better known in the United States than Prime Minister John Howard.

Stainton noted said he never thought his friend -- whose hair-raising confrontations with crocodiles and deadly snakes made him famous -- would be killed by a relatively placid stingray.

"He always pushed himself to the very limits but I thought he was invulnerable and I think he did too. I would never imagine it to come from something like a stingray," he said.

Source: The Nation - 5 September 2006

Yes, the film should be shown. Death is not distasteful.

It remained unclear whether the ebullient Irwin died of blood loss, a heart attack induced by the blow or from the ray's venom, media reports said.

Neither of those three i'd have thought......if you get stabbed in the heart it simply stops doesn't it?

Edited by Papa_Lazarou

Don’t know if anyone is interested anymore after some of the “off subject rubbish” that has been posted.

My baby girl, just 2 years old now, Thai wife Farang me, her first couple of farang words were gecko and crocodile.

Though she doesn’t know it yet she will miss Steve the family the zoo and the animals.

So shall we.

:o

Stevie just did what came natural to him, made an arse of himself and did it well enough to make tens of millions.

He sort of followed on from another adventurer <deleted> named 'Alby Mangels'. While his first film was great, the following ones just tried to hard and did not make it and came across very obviously as very staged.

Irwin's very first documentaires were much like this, you could see the over acting and staged activities for the good of entertainment and the crowd. But then that became his style and you either liked it or hated it.

I would imagine that the loud style and over acting would have gone down very well with the yanks where he was more famous.

Another adventure <deleted> to come out of the sticks in Oz was 'Troy Dann' he tried hard, but really I think he made a bit of a boob of himself.

Saddest thing is that Irwin did a lot of good and the whole 'croc hunter' empire was built around him wholey and soley, there is nobody to take his place in the immediate future. So what will happen to all the good he has done, hopefully he started enough momentum for it to keep on travelling in some ways. But he spent a lot of money on land reclamation for wildlife habitats and the maintenance of these areas is not easy or cheap, how will the ongoing funding keep up when the engine that drove it has gone.

No matter who you are, famous or not, 2 little kids lost their dad that loved them very much. Try to think how they would be feeling right this minute.

Lets all not forget also that there is a stingray swimming around out there with no tail muttering 'crikey' and nobody seems to care about him to much.

Edited by Nawtilus

Steve will be missed.

As another poster pointed out his/her babies first words were gecko and crocodile. Steve was teaching, not only children but all of us the way of animals and by default the way of nature and life.

He was eccentric, but he was well liked and had an enthusiasm that transcended any dislike you may have of the man.

R.I.P.

adventure <deleted> to come out of the sticks in Oz was 'Troy Dann' he tried hard,

He was terrible! Steve Irwin was good and funny at the same time. Troy Dann wanted to be Action Man. I Remember watching his show one time. "There is a helicopter down and the only way in with fuel is by jet ski!"

Aye right he was followed by helicopter. So surely they could have taken it in. TD was not in Steves league. RIP Steve.

Sad indeed. IMHO

adventure <deleted> to come out of the sticks in Oz was 'Troy Dann' he tried hard,

He was terrible! Steve Irwin was good and funny at the same time. Troy Dann wanted to be Action Man. I Remember watching his show one time. "There is a helicopter down and the only way in with fuel is by jet ski!"

Aye right he was followed by helicopter. So surely they could have taken it in. TD was not in Steves league. RIP Steve.

Sad indeed. IMHO

My only memory of Troy Dann was the time he swam in a billabong wearing naught but a thong! The sight, as he executed a duck dive, is burned into my nightmares! :o

That swim was his personal jumping of the shark!

R.I.P.

To be perfectly honest, I was not much aware of him during his lifetime.

I now see what a great impression he has made around the world, and learn of his huge contribution to awareness and conservation of wildlife.

Just saw on television all the "floral tributes" being left for him. I understand that people wish to express their grief and respect, but donations might be better.

Edited by katnip

As is stated by posters above, Irwin made tens of millions of dollars through his two feature films, the zoo and his tv documentaries. However, those who knew him say he never had money with him. He always had to borrow ten bucks or whatever if he saw a toy he wanted to buy for his daughter. Every penny he earned went back into his zoo or his conservation projects. He purchased enormous tracts of wilderness land to ensure it would remain a pristine habitat for ever.

In America a "Crickey" fund has been created for his millions of fans to send funds to continue his work. Similarly, huge donations are coming in from around Australia. The outside of his Australia Zoo is covered in flowers, posters, balloons and messages from adults and children alike. It is likened to the grief expressed when Diana was killed.

Whatever adults may have thought about his ocker accent and childish antics, he apparently touched a chord with children all over the planet.

Psychologists are advising parents to be aware that their children may be adversly affected by his death and are recommending care be taken in helping them deal with the situation. :o

As is stated by posters above, Irwin made tens of millions of dollars through his two feature films, the zoo and his tv documentaries. However, those who knew him say he never had money with him. He always had to borrow ten bucks or whatever if he saw a toy he wanted to buy for his daughter. Every penny he earned went back into his zoo or his conservation projects. He purchased enormous tracts of wilderness land to ensure it would remain a pristine habitat for ever.

In America a "Crickey" fund has been created for his millions of fans to send funds to continue his work. Similarly, huge donations are coming in from around Australia. The outside of his Australia Zoo is covered in flowers, posters, balloons and messages from adults and children alike. It is likened to the grief expressed when Diana was killed.

Whatever adults may have thought about his ocker accent and childish antics, he apparently touched a chord with children all over the planet.

Psychologists are advising parents to be aware that their children may be adversly affected by his death and are recommending care be taken in helping them deal with the situation. :D

Absolutely correct Old Croc, Steve Irwin supposedly donated every single cent of his film documentary earnings to conservation funds and buying virgin land to preserve threatened natural environments and protection of endangered wildlife species. He really was a trooper and a great ambassador for the planet.

Here in Thailand - he was equally well revered in his passion for wildlife. As follows:

Thai elephant camp remembers Irwin

From correspondents in Ayutthaya, Thailand

September 05, 2006

AN elephant camp in Thailand which TV naturalist Steve Irwin planned to visit next month held a tribute to the Australian Crocodile Hunter killed by a stingray in a freak accident.

About 20 mahouts and a bull elephant attended a memorial service for Irwin at the Ayutthaya Elephant Palace, 80km north of Bangkok.

They laid a wreath in front of a poster of Irwin, read a tribute to him and had a minute of silence.

“Steve lived life as if on the wing of the dragon,” said Princess Rangsinopdol Yugala, sitting on an elephant covered with a red piece of cloth of the type used in ancient wars.

“His spirit matched our ancient Thai warriors who fearlessly rode the great musth elephants into battles,” she said.

Irwin was popular in Thailand, where his show appears on a cable network and the story of his death was on the front pages of all Thai tabloids and prominent in television news shows.

Camp owner Laithongrein Meepan said Irwin had pledged to donate 1 million baht ($34,400) to a DNA project for elephants in Thailand during a visit next month to film a documentary on the lives of Thai elephants.

“He said he wanted to tell the world that Thai elephants aren't dangerous” and was committed to fund another project to buy a piece of land for old elephants to retire on, Mr Laithongrein said.

:D His memory will live in greatness :o

Steve Irwin Dead.

Thailand related how?

Thai elephant camp remembers Irwin

From correspondents in Ayutthaya, Thailand

September 05, 2006

AN elephant camp in Thailand which TV naturalist Steve Irwin planned to visit next month held a tribute to the Australian Crocodile Hunter killed by a stingray in a freak accident.

About 20 mahouts and a bull elephant attended a memorial service for Irwin at the Ayutthaya Elephant Palace, 80km north of Bangkok.

They laid a wreath in front of a poster of Irwin, read a tribute to him and had a minute of silence.

“Steve lived life as if on the wing of the dragon,” said Princess Rangsinopdol Yugala, sitting on an elephant covered with a red piece of cloth of the type used in ancient wars.

“His spirit matched our ancient Thai warriors who fearlessly rode the great musth elephants into battles,” she said.

Irwin was popular in Thailand, where his show appears on a cable network and the story of his death was on the front pages of all Thai tabloids and prominent in television news shows.

Camp owner Laithongrein Meepan said Irwin had pledged to donate 1 million baht ($34,400) to a DNA project for elephants in Thailand during a visit next month to film a documentary on the lives of Thai elephants.

“He said he wanted to tell the world that Thai elephants aren't dangerous” and was committed to fund another project to buy a piece of land for old elephants to retire on, Mr Laithongrein said.

:D:o

Ch 7 Sydney played a "tribute" to Irwin last night.

I squirmed with embarrassment it was so badly cobbled together..... & commercial breaks every 7 minutes. :o

Best tribute so far was the interview with Steve in 2003 by Andrew Denton . ABC.

Wednesday September 6, 07:17 AM

AAP

US diver tells how Irwin saved his life

An American diver who owes his life to Steve Irwin says he was shattered to learn about the Crocodile Hunter's death.

"He saved my life," an emotional Scott Jones told AAP from his home in Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I've lost a good friend."

Jones was part of a tragic scuba diving expedition in the Sea of Cortez, off the coast of Mexico, in 2003.

Jones' friend, 77-year-old Katie Vrooman, died during the dive after a sea surge knocked her twice against rocks. Jones fought to hold on to her unconscious body for almost two hours and, while hanging off rocks and floating in the water, attempted to resuscitate her.

Eventually Jones had to let Vrooman's body go and he spent a harrowing night alone perched on rocks.

In a lucky twist of fate, Irwin and his film crew happened to be in the vicinity shooting a documentary and heard an SOS call on their radio that two divers had gone missing.

Irwin, who had never met Jones or Vrooman, decided he would abandon his film project to try to find them.

He did.

Jones was precariously sitting on a rock outcrop dehydrated and scarred from being battered on the rocks.

Irwin, dressed in his khaki shorts and shirt, dived in the water and swam across to save Jones.

At the time, Jones did not realise Irwin was a celebrity.

The quietly-spoken Jones said he had heard of Paul "Crocodile Dundee" Hogan, but not the Crocodile Hunter.

"After they got me on to the main boat, Steve helped me get my wetsuit off me and he went below to do something," Jones recalled.

"Somebody behind me said 'So what do you think of the Crocodile Hunter?'

"So I was looking around for Crocodile Dundee. I thought when the makeup comes off Dundee's looks must change.

"But, when I finally got home my daughter turned the Animal Planet channel on and I started watching his show from then.

"It was wild. He was jumping on crocodiles and things like that."

Jones and his wife Deborah sent flowers to Irwin's wife, Terri, and kids, Bindi and Bob.

They are also planning a trip to Australia to speak to his family.

"We'd love to go to Australia and tell his wife and kids just what a great man he is," Jones, who declined to tell his age, adding it was a secret, said.

"He was a hel_l of an educator, from kids all the way up to old farts like me.

"He was a hero."

Jones, an experienced diver, said he was surprised a stingray, "one of the most gentle creatures in the ocean" caused Irwin's death.

It's a great shame that Steve Irwin is dead but fortunately there's a replacement who's willing to carry on bringing the natural world to the public. His name is David Attenborough and he's been doing the nature thing since 1952.

It's a great shame that Steve Irwin is dead but fortunately there's a replacement who's willing to carry on bringing the natural world to the public. His name is David Attenborough and he's been doing the nature thing since 1952.

David Attenborough is 80 years old. He may be able to bring nature news to the world but I can't imagine him wrestling crocs.

david_attenborough.jpg

your joking right? I would think that irwin(In his short life) has done much more for animal awareness and conservation than Attenborough has ever done.Whilst attenborough has the spit and polish that only the poms can produce, to compare him to Irwin is just like comparing oil and water.I don't think that too many children will shed a tear when David pops his clogs. :o

i can't but help think that your attitude reflects your own personal dislike of irwin.Especially if posts on this and other boards are anything to go by.maybe I'm wrong??