Passenger who lost wallet at Phuket Airport given the runaround

webfact

That police on duty said he couldn't take a report, which is false

Not false. The police at the airport will not take a police report - you have to go to Tha That Chai police station! (I know because as a TPV at the airport, I have driven airport passengers several many times to Tha That Chai).

Now whether the airport police will not make the police report because they are not authorised to do so, or because they are ignorant or too lazy is another question....

I don't see why Tantai Wongsaeree would have a problem with any of this ... it's called Thainess.

“Secondly, the security systems at the airport should be more accessible. We are a tourist destination and we should be able to help people when and where they need it,” he said. Well yes but that doesn't equate with Thainess or the mai pen rai attitude.

Passenger who lost wallet at Phuket Airport given the runaround.

This happened to a Thai. What if the customer was a farang. This incident is a good example of what the PM mentioned in the recent TV headline,

"PM urges all Thais to make Thailand worth visiting".

Thai public service skills need a serious upgrade and, eventually, the concept that "The customer is King" must prevail if the PM's idea is to take hold.

I once lost my wallet on a Thai Airways flight. It must have fallen out of my pocket when I got up to disembark at Swampy. I only realised I had lost it when I had got off the bus from the plane to the arrivals area. I went immediately to a Thai Airways desk and asked if they could help. They were great. They asked me what was my seat number on the plane and then radioed that information to ground staff in a vehicle on the apron.

Half an hour later I was re-united with the wallet. Boy was I relieved. I was just about to start my holiday and would have been up the creek if I had lost my credit card. Well done Thai Airways staff.

Another reason why its best to stay out of Phuket altogether along with the rest of the Southern Islands like Samui, Ko Tao etc.

why? because some half-wit lost his wallet? Come on...

Sure, open the bash Phuket door and walks through yahoo troller with his two satangs of nonsense who otherwise never posts in the Phuket Forum. And here he is !

post-92090-0-02987900-1429357259_thumb.j

Many years ago I "lost" my mobile phone while going through security at a major airport in the UK. Within a few minutes I realised that I did not have my phone and went back - no one was interested, especially the security guy who had handled my stuff. Tried to report it but no police around as this was airside. No phones to call the police either. I was in too much of a rush to get on my plane to bother with further efforts.

Since then, I always put my personal stuff into either a zip pocket or into my carry-on so that no one can "forget" to take it out of the plastic carrier before moving them on.

This kind of think happens everywhere, not just in Thailand.

Sorry, but a grip on your life. Your wallet is nobodies responsibility but your own. This guy just made himself look like a dummy.

Sorry, you are heartless.

Losing your wallet can happen to anyone.

It might render you total helpless, in particular when you are in a foreign country and find yourself suddenly without money and without passport.

You cannot get on the aircraft, you cannot stay in a hotel, cannot buy food, cannot do a phonecall to get some help.

And in Phuket nobody helps you.

What would you do?

+ 1. Those without mistakes are allowed to throw the first stone.

"+ 1. Those without mistakes are allowed to throw the first stone. "

But wouldn't that be the end of Thai Visa forums?

It's strange - you continually mock other TV posters, and yet you have made over 6000 posts. If you were as clever as you claim to be, wouldn't you have something better to do?

(Part of) the problem here was that he was late for flight as it was and had to leave. So nothing could be done anymore at that point in time. Now if you can not leave because your passport is missing the problem of 'having to leave in a hurry' is sorted. So plenty of time to go to the police station.

Probably not. As mentioned in the report, the police station that covers the airport is at Tha Chat Chai, right next to Sarasin Bridge at the far north of the island.

That police station is no doubt, very useful for incidents at the Tha Chat Chai checkpoint, but hardly much good for the airport.

When someone needs to report an incident that occurs at the airport, such as losing their wallet or luggage, they have to make a police report at Tha Chat Chai, (eg for insurance purposes).

The police at (more accessible) Thalang Town will refuse to provide the insurance report - the airport is outside their jurisdiction.

To reach that police station is about 500 - 600 baht (each way) in a taxi, or (if you are lucky and call me and I have the time), it is free because I drive the tourist to/from Tha Chat Chai and translate for the police report (if you don't speak Thai).

This typically takes a round trip time of at least 90 minutes, (including making the report), plus my petrol costs which I cover myself.

So..... as I mentioned previously, building a small police station to manage incidents at the airport seems to make a lot of sense.

Oh, and whilst they are about it, howabout building a petrol station by the airport, so that cars don't have to travel the 6-7km to the nearest petrol station at Meung Mai?

Sheesh! - A busy, international airport with no police station and no petrol station cheesy.gif

Excellent post and I full agree that a police and petrol station are needed. The first time I visited Phuket, I spent 30 minutes looking for a petrol station near the airport. I didn't want to fill up too far away from the car rental office because I thought it was only fair to bring a back a full tank. I finally found a station, but I did question the logic of not having a station near the airport.

Agreed 100%, he had suspicions and it should have been a simple process to check cctv, however I doubt if there is any airport in the world that would have offered any more assistance. I suspect that there are many items lost on a daily basis in airports, and suppose they could employ people to be available to check the cctv 24/7 but it would eat into profits, and if you wish to fly to Phuket you have to use Phuket airport so customer satisfaction, justice and decency don't come into it when they get in the way of profit.

I guess the point raised by Phuketian Tantai Wongsaeree and the opening article is that more could have been done by those in a position to provide assistance if they cared enough to offer assistance.

In such cases, especially in an airport where time is of the essence it's easy to see that by immediately referring to CCTV footage the wallet 'could' have been found or suspicions laid to rest. Instead inaction by those able to offer assistance was not forthcoming. I'd challenge anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances not to feel annoyed or hard done by.

Perhaps the legalities of checking the CCTV obstructed a possible solution - this issue identifies a hole whereby someone in the position to help didn't because they couldn't or wouldn't.

Airports world wide are places to be very careful. I left a camera in a seating area at the airport in Portland Oregon (PDX), and some bystanders turned it into TCA's lost and found. I went back, talked to that bystander and we both went to TCA and were directed to a contractor's lost and found area. Long story here, but they could not find the camera and I was given the run around, with the TCA folks asking many times when my flight was. I had lots of time, so got the TCA supervisor involved along with the PDX Port Authority. Long story short: Someone stole my camera in the TCA approved lost and found area ten minutes after it was turned in. I was compensated for it, but when I signed the back of the check, I had to release ALL liability of TCA and its contractors. Airports are Scam Centers in every country.

Edited by T_Dog

That police on duty said he couldn't take a report, which is false

Not false. The police at the airport will not take a police report - you have to go to Tha That Chai police station! (I know because as a TPV at the airport, I have driven airport passengers several many times to Tha That Chai).

Now whether the airport police will not make the police report because they are not authorised to do so, or because they are ignorant or too lazy is another question....

"The Phuket News contacted Tha Chat Chai Police Station̕s superintendent Pol Col Somchai Sanprasert, he said, “Actually, if there is a serious case it must fall under the responsibility of the case officer assigned at the station. However, if it is not serious then the police stationed at the Airport can take the report and help with airport procedures."

So either you are right or Pol Col Somchai is, another problem with the system. Thai Police Volunteer and Thai Police's policy don't match. As a TPV I would expect you to know why the police can't take a report at the airport then? I'm pretty sure all police officers can take a write a simple report.

Maybe the police on duty don't have the report booklet to take a report? If so another silly reason why they can't ...too many holes to fill up

As a TPV I would expect you to know why the police can't take a report at the airport then? I'm pretty sure all police officers can take a write a simple report.

Been a TPV there since about 2006. Speak/read/write good Thai, but is not really required since the Royal police guy will simply say 'You go Tha Chat Chai'. in an endless loop spiel......

Believe me, I'd love to save my time and petrol, and not ferry tourists to/from Tha Chat Chai :)

Highlighting these problems falls on deaf ears (I'm still waiting for my airport ID pass that I applied for in 2006 so I can enter the luggage collection areas....)cheesy.gif

Let's hope this complaint by a Thai citizen helps to improve the 'lost and found' process

Sorry, but a grip on your life. Your wallet is nobodies responsibility but your own. This guy just made himself look like a d

So we can all have a good laugh when you loose yours.

But without a chance to get anything back, because a Russian will use the money to buy some Vodka and pay the bar fine for the guy's chick....

Would the reaction from the authorities in Amsterdam airport be any different? I imagine they would tell you to check with lost and found.

No. They'd perhaps send you to a "coffee shop" to have some space cake and some hand rolled Afghan.