Kitchen Construction

ChiangMai2012

When buying or moving into a new house here, often the kitchens aren't built out. Look for advice for anyone who has gone through that process.

Suggestions for where to buy materials. Design insights based on how things are done here. Anything helpful for someone doing it for the first time here would be appreciated.

And a traditional built in masonry and concrete structure topped with nice granite and finished with quality cassette doors can look just as great and last even longer than those mentioned above.

Add to that a massive cost saving against the above I know which one I am going to be building shortly.

Main criteria......what does she want?

• Like 2

And a traditional built in masonry and concrete structure topped with nice granite and finished with quality cassette doors can look just as great and last even longer than those mentioned above.

Add to that a massive cost saving against the above I know which one I am going to be building shortly.

Main criteria......what does she want?

i've done both and it's not a massive cost savings at allpost-229088-0-58545700-1429596469_thumb.

Homikitch build quality kitchens and I would have had them do ours except for one thing. They could not come up with a quote including corner pantry despite having provided them with floor plan, designs and photos.

I ordered DIY-install Starmark modules from HomePro at a fraction of the HomiKitch base price and created a U-shaped kitchen with corner pantry [brick/render] which I fitted out with shelving ... a granite top replaced the modular bench tops and we were ~100k better off all up.

Starmark also design and install custom-made.

• Like 1

I have seen some kitchens here that were "overbuilt"; where the idea that "you get what you pay for" was really more like "they paid for W-A-Y more than they use". i.e. people who designed big, western-style kitchens without realizing that the maid won't use the dishwashing machine, that they decide to stop having so many roasts and baked items in a hot climate, so the big oven sits unused and they learn about all the wonderful food available in the markets, so they rarely prepare big meals in the kitchen. Plus, the fresh foods from the markets don't keep as well and the markets are close-by so it really isn't a bother to shop every day. Why have that big refrigerator?

I have seen some kitchens here that were "overbuilt"; where the idea that "you get what you pay for" was really more like "they paid for W-A-Y more than they use". i.e. people who designed big, western-style kitchens without realizing that the maid won't use the dishwashing machine, that they decide to stop having so many roasts and baked items in a hot climate, so the big oven sits unused and they learn about all the wonderful food available in the markets, so they rarely prepare big meals in the kitchen. Plus, the fresh foods from the markets don't keep as well and the markets are close-by so it really isn't a bother to shop every day. Why have that big refrigerator?

i agree 100% my chauffeur stopped driving my car because he only wanted to use my motor bike. now the Benz just sits in the garage

I did mine myself, bought the units from a furniture shop in Chonburi and the granite from the factory in Saraburi. Probably about 50 K all told. After 5 years the surface material on the units is starting to delaminate and becoming a problem. Would be best to avoid locally manufactured units.

The other problem with local units is that they are a bit short if you want the worktop at 900 mm. Thai is normally 800 mm. I had to pack the units up from the floor to the same height as the washing machine. When they built the house I had the kitchen window sill at 1m as opposed to the normal 800 mm.

post-201813-0-72666000-1429692878_thumb. post-201813-0-60259800-1429692942_thumb.

I'll give homikithen a look, but the ~100k comment definitely has me skeptical.

HomeKitchen will give you a turnkey job. The more you do yourself, hireing and coordinating sub contractors, design and managing, the more you save but you will pay with your time.

You should check out the new Boontavorn too.

They sell 2 good brands of Kitchen and will sort it all out for you.

KVIK is a Danish brand that is quite reasonably priced and Abolute a higher end brand.

Homikitch is custom ... which means you can have anything you want - but for a price. Remember ...... it is made to order but they still use particle board for the carcasses. Up to you if you think it is good value or fits your needs.