June date for Phuket police to file murder case against Australian

webfact

June date for Phuket police to file murder case against Australian
Alasdair Forbes

1429608688_1-org.jpg
Mark Pendlebury was arrested on March 11 after stabbing to death a security guard from the Tai Pan disco in Patong.

PHUKET: -- Police have until June 3 to submit to prosecutors the results of their investigation into the fatal stabbing by Australian Mark Pendlebury of a security guard during a fight outside the Tai Pan disco on Rat-U-Thit Rd, Patong on March 11.

Pendlebury, 59, denies a charge of murder, arguing that he was acting in self-defence when he used a pocket knife to stab Sanya Khlueawaengmon, 25, a Tai Pan security guard.

Prosecutors will examine the evidence provided by police, including CCTV footage of Pendlebury running away before the fight in an effort to avoid a confrontation, and of the fight itself.

They may ask for more evidence from the police before deciding whether the case is solid enough to take to court.

Meanwhile, Pendlebury remains on bail.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/june-date-for-phuket-police-to-file-murder-case-against-australian-51965.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-04-21

If he can be seen trying to avoid a confrontation and a scuffle broke out that lead to the poor man fearing for his life and he stabbed the guy. I would hope it would be difficult to prosecute. It almost seems unnecessary to even have the guy on bail. However, carrying a knife for protection is not legal in itself, in a lot of places, and can be used as proof of intent. I always have a good steel shaft pen on me, just incase I have the sign something.

I have had arguments with locals on occasion (only when the confrontation is unavoidable) and it's been a lot of luck that it hasn't ended in death (at times) and there seemed to be no room for negotiation (or protection from the authorities). Seem to be a lot of desperation (for some people) to prove a point. Seems lots of people are looking for a fight and feel justified in their violence.

Hope for the best outcome.

Edited by horsewell
  • Like 2

I just see groups of people walking here and there and cars passing by.

If you look about 20 seconds into the clip, you will see a man in a white shirt crossing the road fromthe left to right, and you can see he is taking a video with his camera (quite clear to see), he is approached by the bouncer and he moves quickly away only to be chased by a group of men.

Ok, the guy carried a knife-no matter the size illegal under the laws here, that said(and not knowing what actually preceded the altercation) he removed himself hastily from whatever trouble arose but the aggressor pursued he may have gotten a worse hiding or ended up on the slab...trouble is right or wrong, self defence or not, the thai came out the worst.in many respects justice is served here in the same way as the fare in some restaurants one price for them another for us...I do hope if the Aussie was blameless and acting in self defense the price he pays won't be too high.