Translation Dictionary

Potter

The following two 'oldies but goodies' are essential:

Mary Haas Thai-English Student's Dictionary (Stanford)

Mc Farland's Thai-English Dictionary

Look here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...703833?v=glance

As for Thai-Thai dictionaries, there is the RID (Royal Institute Dictionary), which is very extensive and not something you'd lug around in your backpack.

RID (พจนานุกรมฉบับราชบัณฑิตยสถาน) is pretty good, and it's the "authoritative" source, but yes, it's very bulky.*

There are many smaller Thai-Thai dictionaries, but much less comprehensive. The ones by Thienchai Iamworamet (เธียรชัย เอี่ยมวรเมธ) are pretty good, and they come anywhere from pocket-size to large desk/library size. Thienchai also has a selection of Thai-English and English-Thai dictionaries.

If you're not necessarily looking for portability, I really like the Matichon (มติชน) dictionary.

*FWIW, someone at the Royal Institute told me it was an office goof that got the RID printed on such thick paper, but then someone else told me it was Thai patriotism, not wanting to have to order the paper from abroad, since the thin "bible" paper can't be had in Thailand. Either way, it kind of hurts usability. :o

IMO the Mary Haas T-E dictionary has the most precise definitions on common words & idioms.

There is also an excellent grammar book by James Higbie & Snea Thinsan that gives detailed definitions on common & tricky words like HAI.

*FWIW, someone at the Royal Institute told me it was an office goof that got the RID printed on such thick paper, but then someone else told me it was Thai patriotism, not wanting to have to order the paper from abroad, since the thin "bible" paper can't be had in Thailand. Either way, it kind of hurts usability. :o

Some time ago I saw one of the earlier editions of the RID printed on the thin 'bible' paper, sitting in a library. Probably the office goofs fault.

Yeah, I agree that it was probably an office goof. :o

The one you've seen in the library is probably RID 2525, which uses thinner paper, you're right. But it's also got 2/3 as many pages as RID 2542. The paper's still not *that* thin.

Matichon has the thinnest paper I've seen, and the first Thai dictionary to use such thin paper. It's about 100 pages longer than RID 2525, but half the width, and a third the width of RID 2542. Muuuch more user friendly.