Haad Yai traffic crackdown

phuketsub

A Thai-language video report about the long-overdue on double-parking in Haad Yai.

Songthew operators are no longer able to set up queues on the main road in front of Plaza Clocktower, only pick-up and drop off.

Similar bans on buses and vans went into effect a long time ago.

Video taken 11am April 24 by Gimyong HatYai news team.

• 2 weeks later...

I went through yesterday, around lunchtime, in both directions -

Songthaews blocking the road down to one lane on the incoming lane, by the Bangkok bank / traffic lights.

Private cars and songthaews blocking the road down to one lane where the market stalls are at Gim Yong.

On the outgoing, one lane used by stationary traffic, second lane unusable due to slow moving songthaews touting for business and queing to get to the left lane. Traffic only moving through the right hand lane.

I notice that after the traffic lights there is always someone riding down towards the roundabout - chatting on their phone and riding - clogging up that lane even further.

Im not too sure about the vans, I just noticed yesterday that it was a bit frustrating getting through, just wait until a few weeks, when Yor-War re-opens.

I just sat down with the wife, to chat about this news broadcast. It isn't about a crackdown, well it is.

Its a report about the failed moves made by the tessaban that have just gone ignored by the Songthaew drivers.

Looks to me, they caught it on a good day. The tessaban has apparently requested Songthaew drivers not to stop in this area.

I don't fully understand why every songthaew route has to pass here, in the case of my local route - yellow/green it passes in both directions.

Without a total restructure of the songthaew routes, then what do they expect.