New Rimping opened in San Sai today

BarnicaleBob

I just visited the grand opening of the new rimping in San Sai today. Nice store not as big as some of the other rimpings but seems to have a bit of everything. It located inside the new Home Pro building on the 121 highway about a kilometer north of the 118/121 intersection.

• Like 1

Good to hear. ....shall go have a look see tomorrow. Closer to home (Mae Rim) so that's good for me

Saves you one traffic light only. Mee Chock plaza has more to offer than Rimping alone.

Edited by hugocnx

If you've never had real civet coffee, you can try it at "Weasel Coffee" there. It's quite good, although the decor and furniture are not trying to compete with the more beautiful coffee shops in CM. At least the staff say that the coffee is passed through a real civet. Who knows. 110 baht seems awfully reasonable if it's the real thing but it does taste good.

• Like 1

Good to hear. ....shall go have a look see tomorrow. Closer to home (Mae Rim) so that's good for me

Saves you one traffic light only. Mee Chock plaza has more to offer than Rimping alone.

The new Rimping is further away than Mee Chock from Mae Rim. And as pointed out Mee Chock has more to offer Like MCD's

Who are all these people that can afford Rimping? Are there that many hiso Thai's

In Chiang Mai. Over exposure Thai style.

You've clearly not shopped very much at Rimping, had you done so you would have noted that Thai shoppers are in abundance, every day, at every store.

• Like 2

Who are all these people that can afford Rimping? Are there that many hiso Thai's

You've clearly not shopped very much at Rimping, had you done so you would have noted that Thai shoppers are in abundance, every day, at every store.

True and not all there simply because they are Thai women married to a foreigner.Yesterday the restaurant inside Rimping Mae Hia was 100% full and all Thai's.

• Like 2

I had the same thought yesterday at Rimping as I jostled my way through a throng of Thais to pick up some crackers and jam. I had to break a hundred for that. How do *they* afford it??

T

And, I found myself at Rimping in Promenanda a few weeks ago, on a Sunday morning and thought I might have breakfast there but couldn't because the place was packed with Thai's, not a single farang in sight.

The wife and I fortunately showed up for the Grand Opening. The place was very busy..(11am) and they were giving out free samples of all sorts of food. We pretty much had a full lunch out of it...but still ate at the coffee shop.

Beats 7 eleven.

Just behind home pro..and a little to the right is a nice exercise park. We get there quite early, and finish up early as well. The new Rimpings, unfortunately, does not open until 9pm. We were told that they had no private entrance, so had to open when Home Pro opens. Anyways, we are only a five minute drive away. There is a nice coffee shop with decent food inside ...forgot the name.

Used to be quite uncrowded...but yesterday we had a hard time parking. Hope it settles down again.

Their space is limited..so very short on the fresh fruit and vegetables. They have a very small area for baked goods...but did not find the bread I usually buy at the other

rimpings. Also, smaller supply of meats. Not a shopping destination, but convenient if you are heading to Home Pro for something else, and need to stop in and get some essentials.

Edited by slipperylobster

And, I found myself at Rimping in Promenanda a few weeks ago, on a Sunday morning and thought I might have breakfast there but couldn't because the place was packed with Thai's, not a single farang in sight.

I get the same feeling....cannot figure out why so many Thai's go out, and farangs stay home.

• Like 1

If your shopping for jam and crackers or other imported goods perhaps Rimping's prices are comparable but if you look at locally grown fruit for instance they are not. I bought peaches in my village market for 5 bht ea. and saw what looked like the same day at Rimping for 5 times as much!

As for the weasel coffee shop that gone as I mentioned I've seen a few places leave already (unless it's back or moved and I didn't see it). No great surprise as I inquired about the product and the staff explained all about it to me too and then I ordered it. When I payed they charged me for a regular coffee and was told I wasn't served their unique coffee that we discussed and I ordered. No wonder they didn't last!

I don't see how one can say it's further then Rumchok from Mae Rim. If you take the road pass the San Sai Hospital I think you'll agree (unless your coming North on 107).

Anyway it replaced the JJ location so I guess it might just be a mobile Rimping and just in this location for a visit too.

If you've never had real civet coffee, you can try it at "Weasel Coffee" there. It's quite good, although the decor and furniture are not trying to compete with the more beautiful coffee shops in CM. At least the staff say that the coffee is passed through a real civet. Who knows. 110 baht seems awfully reasonable if it's the real thing but it does taste good.

Poor civet!

I would rather Rimping stopped opening new outlets and concentrated on their major problem of stocking. They need a warehouse in Chiang Mai so the can keep stock on the shelves. Items constantly go missing from the shelves and not for just a few days, sometimes it can be months. It is not just exotic items that go missing. For 5 weeks in a row they had no Coke Zero at my iron bridge store.

OMG. The world is coming to an end. No Coke Zero.w00t.gifcheesy.gif

I would rather Rimping stopped opening new outlets and concentrated on their major problem of stocking. They need a warehouse in Chiang Mai so the can keep stock on the shelves. Items constantly go missing from the shelves and not for just a few days, sometimes it can be months. It is not just exotic items that go missing. For 5 weeks in a row they had no Coke Zero at my iron bridge store.

OMG. The world is coming to an end. No Coke Zero.w00t.gifcheesy.gif

It was just an example for those simple souls who think Rimping is an expensive place that only sells exotic foods. If they can't keep coke on their shelves they have a real stocking problem.

I tend to say that keeping stock is a problem for many suppliers. Short term shortage might be due to big demand, but long time stock (trouble) is a matter of planning. But I must add to this that sometimes even the main factories/suppliers have their problems.

We all know there was no Schweppes Manao. Cheap excuses like it is not the manao season or it is to dry and manao won't grow and more of this.

Yes, stock planning is at least a Thai thing I would say.

Even restaurants don't have real stock. They order when the shelf is empty and not how it should be done, when the shelf is half empty or a bit under.

It is not a big thing in Thailand to say 'mai mee'.