Dual Citizenship

BIG SPUDS

Wife has just had the baby. Shes Thai i'm English.

We want the baby to have dual citizenship. Contacted the Thai Embassy in London, asked how we go about it.

We was told we have to go to London so they can see the baby and it can be done there.

Is this the only way? We live in Birmingham so it would mean travelling down to London on a weekday both losing time from work. Is there no other way?

We was told we cant do it in Thailand because the baby was born in the UK.

Any help appreciated.

Hi Spuds,

Congratulations on the birth of your son.

My wife and I face the same logistical difficulties with regard to getting our son registered as a Thai citizen, and it's even further from the 'Pool to the Smoke than it is from Brum.

I sought the advice of both Samran and the embassy, and, yes, London it is.

Scouse.

Last time I was down in the London Embassy they had a camera setup and were taking photographs of loads of little monsters.....dont mean yours ..of course.. :D in the room next to where you apply for your Visas.

Obviously being curious I asked and sure enough it was for PPs.......STOP SMILING....... :o

Last time I was down in the London Embassy they had a camera setup and were taking photographs of loads of little monsters.....dont mean yours ..of course.. :D in the room next to where you apply for your Visas.

Obviously being curious I asked and sure enough it was for PPs.......STOP SMILING....... :o

All are ePassports these days (a fingerprint and all :D )

We want the baby to have dual citizenship. Contacted the Thai Embassy in London, asked how we go about it.

We was told we have to go to London so they can see the baby and it can be done there.

Is this the only way? We live in Birmingham so it would mean travelling down to London on a weekday both losing time from work. Is there no other way?

Any help appreciated.

Big Spuds

Congratulations!

First to save you going to the Thai embassy in London, is there not a Thai embassy in Liverpool?

You could contact them and see if you can get dual citizenship done there.

Otherwise from my own experience, myself having dual Thai- English citizenship, it can be done in Thailand. This is where I was able to get my dual citizenship done, even though I am not born in either UK or Thailand. They will tell you that you will not be able to register your baby in Thailand, as it is the Thai way to tell you that it cannot be done. From experience, whenever a Thai official tells you something cannot be done, it often means that they don't know what to do.

You are probably wise to claim dual citizenship for your baby now, as when I went to get my dual citizenship I was already almost 16 years old. Thailand normally has a cut of age of about 18, for parents who want their kids to have dual citizenship.

The final advice I can give you is to understand the process of claiming Thai citizenship for your child throughly before you begin the process, as you will probably be given the run around by the Thai officilas.

Hope this is of some help?

Any help appreciated.

Big Spuds

Congratulations!

First to save you going to the Thai embassy in London, is there not a Thai embassy in Liverpool?

You could contact them and see if you can get dual citizenship done there.

Otherwise from my own experience, myself having dual Thai- English citizenship, it can be done in Thailand. This is where I was able to get my dual citizenship done, even though I am not born in either UK or Thailand. They will tell you that you will not be able to register your baby in Thailand, as it is the Thai way to tell you that it cannot be done. From

experience, whenever a Thai official tells you something cannot be done, it often means that they don't know what to do.

You are probably wise to claim dual citizenship for your baby now, as when I went to get my dual citizenship I was already almost 16 years old. Thailand normally has a cut of age of about 18, for parents who want their kids to have dual citizenship.

The final advice I can give you is to understand the process of claiming Thai citizenship for your child throughly before you begin the process, as you will probably be given the run around by the Thai officilas.

Hope this is of some help?

It was absolutely NO HELP at all. The gratuitous information you gave was absolutely and totally wrong.

You have to present at the Embassy in London Spuds. That is the only place you can go to to do it in the UK. Congratulations on the bub.

We were told we have to go to London so they can see the baby and it can be done there.

I do not think so but well, what is one day work lost compared to your son having the double nationality? :o

For the rest of his life.