U-tapao International Airport Expansion Expected to Be Accepted in May

Jacob Maslow

U-tapao International Airport will be able to accommodate more passengers in the future. The Transport Ministry is expected to present plans to expand the airport to the Royal Thai Navy in May.

No date of the signing has been verified, but the cooperative agreement will allow a navy-controlled airport to be built in the Rayong province.

The three phase expansion will start with a new terminal that will accommodate another 3 million passengers per year. Currently, the airport can only hold 800,000 passengers. The roads linking the airport to Chachoengsao will be expanded from 2 to 4 lanes during this time.

Improvement to the airport facilities will begin in 2018 that will further expand the facilities to accommodate 5 million travelers a year by 2020. After this phase is complete, the final phase will begin, which will include a new runway and a commercial area around the airport.

Plans to start the improvements and construction are not settled, so start dates may vary.

The navy insists that they take complete control over the airport as a result of the expansion and will seek assistance from Thai Airways International and the Airports of Thailand when needed. The goal of the expansion is to ease traffic loads and boost tourism in the region.

tvn.png
-- 2015-05-01

I think as long as there is no affordable transport to and from Pattaya or even Rayong, individual travellers will not be tempted to use U-Tapao, and it will be a tour-group-only thing....

There is , and as far back as i can remember has been, the white mini vans Rayong to Pattaya via Ban Chang and U Tapao not more than 200 baht.

I've seen them already start on the widening of 331. Fantastic as that's such a dangerous road right now.

I think the airport expansion will also tie in with the 7 extension which is going all the way to Ban Chang.

I think as long as there is no affordable transport to and from Pattaya or even Rayong, individual travellers will not be tempted to use U-Tapao, and it will be a tour-group-only thing....

Well you are wrong!

If you use Kan Airlines they provide a free shuttle bus from Pattaya city outgoing and incoming. How much more affordable can you get than that?blink.png

• Like 1

I can remember 1st tme I ever arrived in Thailaand it was at U-Tapao airport approx 1990...short taxi to Pattaya ..very convenient much better than BKK airports experience/hassle.

With half of all travellers to Thailand wanting to go to Pattaya and to a lesser extent the eastern seaboard anyway, why isn't the government pushing to make U-Tapao into a major international airport to compete alongside Suvarnabhumi? Half the flights that currently land at Suvarnabhumi could be shifted to land at U-tapao, particularly charters from Russia, China, Korea, other CIS countries like Uzbekistan and elsewhere. It simply doesn't make sense to force nearly all carriers to use overburdened Suvarnabhumi, an airport with a terminal that is choking at capacity and with only 2 runways and reportedly not enough aerobridges (although I have never seen all of them occupied).

What a delusional policy. They should have upgraded U-Tapao years ago. A capacity of only 800,000 a year? That's like the same as some regional airport high up in the mountains of Indonesia or Columbia. Thailand is a mass tourism market - there should be a capacity of like 20 million passengers a year at U-Tapao, after all, Suvarnabhumi has been receiving 35-50 million passengers a year and even Don Muang is getting upwards of 10-15 million, even 25-30 before most flights were moved to Suvarnabhumi.

Another reason to use U-Tapao is of course it's proximity to Pattaya and Samet, Ko Chang etc. why would anyone in their right mind want to land at Suvarnabhumi, which is 90 minutes away from Pattaya by taxi when U-Tapao is only like 30 minutes and the road to Pattaya is much less congested?

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Now might be the time to invest in the Rayong, Bang Chang area? still plenty of beach front land and condos at reasonable prices, a friend of mine has a 165sq m condo on the beach. On the 4th floor two bathroom, three bedroom + office, European kichen, fully renovated and furnished, nothing to buy, includes crockery and cutlery, huge flat screen and brand new front load washing machine, min tax if any to pay, for 4 million walk in walk out

I can remember 1st tme I ever arrived in Thailaand it was at U-Tapao airport approx 1990...short taxi to Pattaya ..very convenient much better than BKK airports experience/hassle.

With half of all travellers to Thailand wanting to go to Pattaya and to a lesser extent the eastern seaboard anyway, why isn't the government pushing to make U-Tapao into a major international airport to compete alongside Suvarnabhumi? Half the flights that currently land at Suvarnabhumi could be shifted to land at U-tapao, particularly charters from Russia, China, Korea, other CIS countries like Uzbekistan and elsewhere. It simply doesn't make sense to force nearly all carriers to use overburdened Suvarnabhumi, an airport with a terminal that is choking at capacity and with only 2 runways and reportedly not enough aerobridges (although I have never seen all of them occupied).

What a delusional policy. They should have upgraded U-Tapao years ago. A capacity of only 800,000 a year? That's like the same as some regional airport high up in the mountains of Indonesia or Columbia. Thailand is a mass tourism market - there should be a capacity of like 20 million passengers a year at U-Tapao, after all, Suvarnabhumi has been receiving 35-50 million passengers a year and even Don Muang is getting upwards of 10-15 million, even 25-30 before most flights were moved to Suvarnabhumi.

I should imagine that Suvarnabhum and its backers would fight tooth and nail to prevent loss of revenue. Decisions are always made in Bangkok, guess where Suvarnabhum is?

I should imagine that Suvarnabhum and its backers would fight tooth and nail to prevent loss of revenue. Decisions are always made in Bangkok, guess where Suvarnabhum is?

Samat Prakan the adjacent province

Leicester City FC's present sponsors wouls I'm sure not be to happy with a challenge to their monopoly if U-P is properly expanded.

I understand that most airlines & airports often agree landing/takeoff slots for 5-10 years periods & beyond so maybe the military are wary of private companies have such access to what they would see as their space.

There is also the aspect of increased noise pollution although that doesn't seem to register highly in Thailand in general

Well you are wrong!

If you use Kan Airlines they provide a free shuttle bus from Pattaya city outgoing and incoming. How much more affordable can you get than that?blink.png

That is good to hear and smart of KAN AIR.

But last time I checked with BKK Air, their customer service center told me they don't provide transport and they were unable or unwilling to point me to any reasonable option to get there as an individual traveller. Admittedly, that was quite some time ago already, and great to hear that things seem to change now

As long as the cost wasn't too far out of whack, I would prefer an U-Tapao option if I were holidaying in Pattaya or just wanted to avoid BKK altogether.

Edited by 55Jay

i hope this time it is true, but it seems to be one of those things that appear in the Thai news and disappears quietly for a couple of years. The problem before has always been getting the Navy to agree, which they seem reluctant to do.

i think the White baht-buses run to Sattahip, not Rayong. There is also the problem of getting to Sukhumvit Rd from the airport with your luggage to catch one.

I don't really think that the commercial operations, if this all comes about, will be "run by" the Thai navy. Rather I think U-Tapao would simply become a joint-use facility. I would assume the navy might have the deciding vote in most cases, but that doesn't mean they'd be doing things like operating the passenger terminal, overseeing public transport to & from the airport, etc. Many such facilities in the U.S. One example: Kirtland AFB & Albuquerque "Sunport". Not sure about the rest of the world, but I know I often see military hangars with at least a few, sometimes more, parked military acft flying into many many airports around SE Asia. I can't swear to it, but I think even Suv. has some military hangars off by themselves. Just carve up the real estate, fence off the military infrastructure from the commercial, upgrade the ATC & whatever else to accommodate the commercial volume, and work out policies for the shared infrastructure (runways & taxi ways, crash & rescue, etc.). 'Not really a big deal since I don't think the navy's flight operations there are all that intensive most of the time.

I'm just wondering about the taxi mafia that will inevitably drop anchor there (as in Phuket), or at least try. Transportation to & from the airport could be painful.