Health Insurance

cm boy

I've just received my renewal notice from Blue Cross (BUPA) for my health insurance, with a wacking 20% premium increase, my reward, I guess, for reaching the ?ripe old age of 60 and not making any claims since day 1.

Was wondering if anyone had any experiences/recommendations with health insurance. Something I don't really want to scrimp on too much but maybe I'm using a Rolls Royce service when I could get by with a Toyota.

cm boy

I've just received my renewal notice from Blue Cross (BUPA) for my health insurance, with a wacking 20% premium increase, my reward, I guess, for reaching the ?ripe old age of 60 and not making any claims since day 1.

Was wondering if anyone had any experiences/recommendations with health insurance. Something I don't really want to scrimp on too much but maybe I'm using a Rolls Royce service when I could get by with a Toyota.

cm boy

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=30&...ch=&safe=images

Check out this link, 192 hits should give you an indication.

Happy search,

Cheers..........kandt..... :o

Guest IT Manager

Many people have asked at various times about health/hospital insurance.

What's available, what are the prices and what are the experiences of members.

How many claims per year George.

That's how health insurances are.

You are lucky (no accident) or/and very seldom sick, it is a waste of money.

You get the big one, it is a waste of money for the insurance company.

Overall. I guess having one is still safer,....

George~

How old are you? Will you be able to continue the coverage into your old age? Past age 65 and into your seventies and eighties? I realize that if you are younger, in your thirties or forties, that isn't a major concern. But when the time arrives, it will be.

I have blue cross/blue shield, but based in the USA through my employer and I can keep that coverage after I retire. Since it is good world wide, I will, even though the cost is about twice the rate you mentioned.

But if you get good coverage and can continue it into your old age, it sounds like you have the better deal.

Jeepz

George~

How old are you?  Will you be able to continue the coverage into your old age?  Past age 65 and into your seventies and eighties?  I realize that if you are younger, in your thirties or forties, that isn't a major concern.  But when the time arrives, it will be.

I have blue cross/blue shield, but based in the USA through my employer and I can keep that coverage after I retire.  Since it is good world wide, I will, even though the cost is about twice the rate you mentioned.

But if you get good coverage and can continue it into your old age, it sounds like you have the better deal.

Jeepz

I am 45.

Yes, Bupa allows you to continue after 60, but with a 10% surcharge per year. My plan is a BUPA Platinum Care

Many people have asked at various times about health/hospital insurance.

What's available, what are the prices and what are the experiences of members.

good question ######, as it's on my list of things to do. i found this url but would like to also hear from others.

i Thailand: Health : Health Insurance Companies

Not the most updated link I would reckon. The site was last updated 15 Aug 1999 and only states BUPA? A similar topic is also running under jobs, started by cm boy.

Cheers.........kandt :o

I know it's a long shot but does anybody know if it's possible to get health insurance for myself and my non official Thai wife as a 'family' or will we both need to get separate policies? Is the cost of the premiums the same for farang and Thais? Cheers.

I have a belgian insuranca/assistance called Ethias assistance.

Allows me to be covered during 11 months for about 15000 bahts(medical expenses around 2.400.000 bahts).I must go back once a year in Belgium and I must be belgian resident.They do their best to treat me in Thailand and if really needed they repatriate.Seemed good to me :o

i bought my wife an american international assurance policy AIA for 28000 bht, i've just renewed it at 22500 bht. she's only used it once on a dog bite which cost 2500 bht, they sent her a cheque for 10000 bht as compensation. now in her second year she does'nt have to pay first.

it can be used worldwide.

cm boy: I am a Chiang Mai-an if cm stands for that. You might consider yourself fortunate to have Bupa as they refused me as being over sixty when I applied when first coming to Thailand.

There is a British international company that would insure me for all over the world coverage for 12k a month. Asked for Thai only, not available. Since Thai medical services are relatively a lot cheaper than in western countries, I could see why they were priced as they are, but since I travel seldom, why pay for something you are not getting.

After finding out that a private hospital room at the best hospital in the city was 900 baht a day, two years ago, I opted to go self insured and put the 12k baht a month in the bank.

Since then I have had laser eye surgery 6k, emergency room care for a puncture wound from the secrurity fence (farang satay) 1200 baht, an orthopedic visit and small c surgery on back of hand with biopcy 1900.

Without doing the math, I estimate I am easily 275k ahead with great prospects of doubling that in the next two years. I am generally very healthy, don't drink or smoke and come from the long lived side of the family.

Since long hospital stays are the rarety, I do not feel I am being unduly risk taking. I used to get company sponsored yearly three day physicals for years and they never found anything except mildly raised blood pressure, which since retirement, is normal. I fully expect to have a million in the bank in ten years when an unexpected event may hospitalize me and that should well cover the costs.

I also have the option of going back to the U.S. for long term medical care under medicare if it ever comes to that.

I was hospitalized in Honolulu three years ago for a bowel obstructon, a sudden unexpected event. I was on morphine for three days, IV fluids and no food until the obstruction cleared, intestine untwisted. Estimate the entire event here would cost me less than 10k.

Hope this experience gives you some perspective.

Good luck.

I've always had an annual argument with my insurance agent when trying to renew the medical insurance policy. Yes, I've tried all the different ones available - they're all the same! :o

I've finally realized that these medical insurance companies give you an umbrella when it's fair weather and take it away when it's raining. :D

I agree 100% with MrMNP that it's best to provide insurance for yourself. Either regularly save the premium in an ordinary bank account or even invest it in a secure fund. It surely pays in the long run!

My experience with Bupa Blue Cross (Platinum) seems to be at odds with some other experiences recorded here. I am in my second year now on a family plan. It costs 74K for me, my wife and daughter. This includes a 10% family discount and maternity cover, as we knew we were trying for a baby. The baby was duly delivered by cesarian section and they paid the bill 40K. Last year I had Dengue Fever and was hospitalised for 6 days (IV fluids etc) the bill was about 40K. In this current premium year I caught dengue again only this time the haemhorragic type and spent 16 days in hospital 7 of them in intensive care. I had brain scans, heart scans, a transfusion, constant IV fluids and many many blood tests. The bill came to 132K. All the episodes mentioned were paid direct by BUPA and there was never a problem. My first renewal premium was the same as the initial premium and I am waiting to see what I am quoted for the 2004/5 premium. But I have no indication thus far that it will go up because I have claimed.

This cover is world wide and though it is geared to Thailand costs it would provide a small measure of cover in Europe/Australia. So far I have nothing but praise for the Bupa cover - I hope things don't change in the near future. Incidentally the premuim for my new baby will be more than for my wife, as they believe (from claims experience I suppose) that newborn babes are more likely to require hospital treatment than those over 5 years old.

I hear, on joining the Asia bank, minimum 3000 Baht, they give free health insurance at 10x the amount you have in your account. you also get a free withdrwl card and insurance card.

hello do you have a link on this and do you know if it is still current (ip)

I have Bupa-Thailand plan for sickness and accidents. Costs about 20K THB per year.

George

i looked at the BUPA site and couldnt see anything for 20K per year

for sicknes and accident

or is this for no hospital?

I saw hospital and OP

please forward the link thanks

:o