Backpack

h90

I am planing to buy a small backpack. Planning to visit the supermarket 85km away and ride back.

(I know it doesn't make much sense but easier for motivation than just ride a circle).

So I need a backpack that fits well, is aerodynamic, doesn't sloop to the side when on the tri-bar.

Water proof is not needed.

I looked at the usual British webpages and there are good offers but without putting them on I am not very confident.

Any tipps/tricks?

Are there specific bicycle (road) backpacks?

Any chance to find something like that in Bangkok?

(If it matters I am about 1.70 tall and fluctuate between 63-68 kg, so a backpack that fits a 1.90 guy might not fit me)

Mission Workshop makes some biking specific backpacks. Bo Velo in Bangkok used to stock them and perhaps still do. Pricy but decent. However, truth be told, I'm not comfortable riding with a pack on for longer rides. Perhaps consider a seat post mount rack with a quick release instead?

Check Lazada good price and many choice

Lazada is no option for me. Every purchase with them was a disaster, from 4 purchase I had 2 times to complain at Paypal for non delivery and 1 time because I received a used drum (laser printer) instead of a new one.

Never again......

Mission Workshop makes some biking specific backpacks. Bo Velo in Bangkok used to stock them and perhaps still do. Pricy but decent. However, truth be told, I'm not comfortable riding with a pack on for longer rides. Perhaps consider a seat post mount rack with a quick release instead?

In the past I was happy with backpack, I really forgot that I have it on my back. In the Alps it is an advantage to have the extra weight on the back than on the bike in my opinion. (Surely other will disagree)

Thx I'll try to located Bo Velo.

A pack that's biking specific is probably more set up for mtb/touring rather than road, but should be stable and ventilate well. You may not be needing the hydration bladder.

I've had good experiences with Evoc and Deuter, both available in Thailand.

A pack that's biking specific is probably more set up for mtb/touring rather than road, but should be stable and ventilate well. You may not be needing the hydration bladder.

I've had good experiences with Evoc and Deuter, both available in Thailand.

I see Deuter and Osprey on the usual UK webpages at the 50-100 USD range. Seems not too much to try.....

No hydration bladder needed.

Something like that: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-race-rucksack/ can't be too wrong, I think?

I always used to ride with a backpack or messenger bag, but found it too hot in Thailand so switched over to a rack with a quick release bag. Much cooler as you back can breath in the heat here. If you must go with a bag, I found messenger bags were better than backpacks as they take up less room on your back and just generally more comfortable when cycling. I am talking about day rides, not over nighters. My opinion only, others may prefer backpacks.

Edited by GarryP

I always used to ride with a backpack or messenger bag, but found it too hot in Thailand so switched over to a rack with a quick release bag. Much cooler as you back can breath in the heat here. If you must go with a bag, I found messenger bags were better than backpacks as they take up less room on your back and just generally more comfortable when cycling. I am talking about day rides, not over nighters. My opinion only, others may prefer backpacks.

yes the heat is a good point.....all my good experiences with backpack were in cooler climate.

Frame mounted bags and large bags behind the saddle seem to be the next big thing. Keeps the bike aerodynamic compared to panniers. You can turn your racing bike into a speedy tourer. Check out Revelate Designs. The only problem would be finding them in Thailand or their Chinese equivalent. Has anyone seen bags like this locally?

I ride with a backpack all the time, and it's foul. Everything inside gets soggy with evaporated or wicked sweat. Unfortunately I still haven't found a saddle bag big enough for a spare tube, little pump, multi-tool, couple of sandwiches and a couple of cans of beer.

I'm going to replace my backpack - key criteria ... High-viz yellow, two side pockets, preferably main and front sections, something to allow ventilation to my back would be nice.

If you're going to the supermarket, you'd probably be better with panniers...

This should be fairly straightforward: get a cyclist-specific backpack made by Evoc, Camelbak, Ortlieb, Osprey, etc. They are a bit more expensive than a regular backpack, but since they are made from durable lightweight material it's money well spent. Decide how much packing volume you want, whether you need to carry a hydration bladder, how waterproof you want it to be, and whether you want spine protection. If you want 100% watertightness go for Ortlieb; if you want spine protection go for Evoc or Dainese. Almost all models have compartments for phone, keys, tools, etc. and a helmet strap.

If you only need a shopping bag, get pannier instead. You don't really want to load the content of a shopping cart on your back and do 85 km with it. ;)

Cheers, CM-Expat

Edited by chiangmaiexpat

This should be fairly straightforward: get a cyclist-specific backpack made by Evoc, Camelbak, Ortlieb, Osprey, etc. They are a bit more expensive than a regular backpack, but since they are made from durable lightweight material it's money well spent. Decide how much packing volume you want, whether you need to carry a hydration bladder, how waterproof you want it to be, and whether you want spine protection. If you want 100% watertightness go for Ortlieb; if you want spine protection go for Evoc or Dainese. Almost all models have compartments for phone, keys, tools, etc. and a helmet strap.

If you only need a shopping bag, get pannier instead. You don't really want to load the content of a shopping cart on your back and do 85 km with it. wink.png

Cheers, CM-Expat

I'll load at least 4 big beers and sausage inside :-)

Clearly it doesn't make sense, but I need a mission for motivation :-)

Back before I went with a 30-40 kg Rucksack to the mountain (25 km) hike the mountain bring the restaurant there some supplies (fresh bread, fresh fruits, newspapers and magazines) and went back. Got some free food in exchange....

Needed all the day but never had a problem with the backpack, but I started with low weight and increased over the years....and well I was a 20 years younger and 200 % more fanatic than now.

Back before I went with a 30-40 kg Rucksack to the mountain (25 km) hike the mountain bring the restaurant there some supplies...

I've only ever seen people in high mountain ranges doing such things. Are you from the Alps region? If yes, different rules apply to you. ;)

Cheers, CM-Expat

Back before I went with a 30-40 kg Rucksack to the mountain (25 km) hike the mountain bring the restaurant there some supplies...

I've only ever seen people in high mountain ranges doing such things. Are you from the Alps region? If yes, different rules apply to you. wink.png

Cheers, CM-Expat

yes at the Alps thumbsup.gif in Austria. 25 km from my house is a nice 2100 meter mountain....

People here in Thailand seem to don't understand that if there is a mountain you must walk to the top of it. That is something that has to be done. Here they think that I am weird crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZL4v7J7m

yes at the Alps thumbsup.gif in Austria. 25 km from my house is a nice 2100 meter mountain....

People here in Thailand seem to don't understand that if there is a mountain you must walk to the top of it. That is something that has to be done. Here they think that I am weird crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZL4v7J7m

Yes, I feel the same way about mountains, and no, Thai people don't get it. They seem to leave the highlands alone and build only in valleys. Even here in Chiang Mai almost all (non-tribal) villages are in the valleys, although the elevation of the surrounding hills offer a cooler climate and the opportunity to grow different kinds of crops. - Thais just don't cultivate hills, with a few exceptions.

As a mountain biker, I have to say they are also pretty awful at trail building, if one can speak of "building" at all, because most of the trails in the surrounding hills were probably created arbitrarily by poachers and gatherers walking and riding their motorcycles around in the forest.

There is no planning and no system to the trail network; they often run straight uphill without switchbacks and erode terribly during each rainy season.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Yes, I feel the same way about mountains, and no, Thai people don't get it. They seem to leave the highlands alone and build only in valleys. Even here in Chiang Mai almost all (non-tribal) villages are in the valleys, although the elevation of the surrounding hills offer a cooler climate and the opportunity to grow different kinds of crops. - Thais just don't cultivate hills, with a few exceptions.

As a mountain biker, I have to say they are also pretty awful at trail building, if one can speak of "building" at all, because most of the trails in the surrounding hills were probably created arbitrarily by poachers and gatherers walking and riding their motorcycles around in the forest.

There is no planning and no system to the trail network; they often run straight uphill without switchbacks and erode terribly during each rainy season.

Cheers, CM-Expat

One of our freelance salesguys was in Austria for training. They invited him to some restaurant close to the mountain (most probably the usual tourist traps) and he saw people up on the permanent snow walking. He told me that these must be complete idiots to walk up there for no reason.......

But I am in contact with a Chinese sales guy who comes from a small village on the bottom of a mountain and he told his family always went up there....mostly to collect mushrooms but also because they like it.

I'd second the seat post rack as riding here with any back pack is awful in my experience. Too hot and makes for way too much sweating.

I'd second the seat post rack as riding here with any back pack is awful in my experience. Too hot and makes for way too much sweating.

But only if you have an aluminum seatpost, if it's carbon you can forget about a seatpost rack.

I used to use a toppeak seatpost rack and bag that I got from Worldbike in Bangkok, about 1500 THB from memory, but that was nearly 2 years ago, so might be a bit more now.

But only if you have an aluminum seatpost, if it's carbon you can forget about a seatpost rack.

I used to use a toppeak seatpost rack and bag that I got from Worldbike in Bangkok, about 1500 THB from memory, but that was nearly 2 years ago, so might be a bit more now.

Never had a problem attaching a rack to my carbon seat post and if you Google search you can find many that say ok with one.

Here's a nice one for starters.

http://www.arkel-od.com/en/arkel-randonneur-rack.html

I use the Toppeak seat post rack now (bought from Worldbike). Much more comfortable than a bag.