Problems With Media Player

terrydxn

I have just reinstalled Windows XP and find that Windows Media Player will not work, the message I receive is,

"Windows Media Player can not play the file because there is a problem with your sound device"

When I try playing a DVD from an external player I get the Message,

"Windows Media Player can not play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your PC"

So I need some tool to fix this problem, I see there are many freeware applications in this forum but due to my lack of PC skills I really do not know which if any will help,and was hoping some one could recomend a solution.

Will appreaciate any help.

First error sounds like you don't have the driver for your sound card installed.

Check in Control Panel -> Audio & Sound Settings -> Hardware.

You might need to download a driver for your sound card from the manufacturer or look through the cd's that come with the computer.

First error sounds like you don't have the driver for your sound card installed.

Check in Control Panel -> Audio & Sound Settings -> Hardware.

You might need to download a driver for your sound card from the manufacturer or look through the cd's that come with the computer.

As Simmo says, for the first error most likely the sound driver for your card has not been installed. As for the 2nd you need to install an MPEG-2 codec and that usually comes with DVD player software such as PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc. So if you have any DVD player software, install it first then try a DVD in Windows Media Player. If not then you can download just the MPEG-2 codec from here (one of many sites):

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=Dscaler_5

Edited by tywais