Bicycle chain and gear oil

connda

I've had my bicycle stored for a couple of years. I'm cleaning it up, but the chain and gears are very dry.

Unfortunately I'm a little ignorant of bicycle maintenance. What kind of oil is best to use on the chain and gears?

Give it a shot of the orange spray cans of "Multi-Functional Spray Oil" sold my Auto Master at local hardware stores and Makro. The expensive bike shop versions usually result in a waxy build up but the Auto Master stuff is great. The process:

-Wipe your chain and sprockets clean with a rag.

-Liberally spray on the spray oil.

-Wipe it off with the rag.

If you have neglected your chain a while, do those steps twice and it should be in great shape.

Try to do it before every ride and your chain will last a long time.

MOVED to cycling

Thanks Mod. I was trying to find this forum by doing a search on bicycle but couldn't find it. Hey, now I know where the 'Cycling' forum is! :)

Give it a shot of the orange spray cans of "Multi-Functional Spray Oil" sold my Auto Master at local hardware stores and Makro. The expensive bike shop versions usually result in a waxy build up but the Auto Master stuff is great. The process:

If you have neglected your chain a while, do those steps twice and it should be in great shape.

By golly, I just happen to have a brand new can of exactly that. Off to go clean and lube the chain, twice. Thanks mate!

The shops seem to use teflon sprays.

Take it in for a shop service, just had mine done, new crank and steering bearings, new fork seals, new pedals, clean and spray all the chain and gears.

500bht.

Cheap as chips, not worth attempting yourself.

Here's what the stuff looks like and it is 80 baht a can in Makro. It's thin enough to do a good job cleaning and to penetrate into the links where you really need it. Any oil on the surface only serves to attract particles and cause wear.

post-498-0-68458600-1431643636_thumb.jpg

Definitely not off topic. I find it hard to believe that you have done 1000km without any cleaning or lubrication. I have always considered that a necessity before every ride.

I am not sure there is a definitive best solution as opinion is divided over what to use. I’m sure there is a topic which has covered this subject in much more depth here in this forum if you look around.

Definitely not off topic. I find it hard to believe that you have done 1000km without any cleaning or lubrication. I have always considered that a necessity before every ride.

I am not sure there is a definitive best solution as opinion is divided over what to use. I’m sure there is a topic which has covered this subject in much more depth here in this forum if you look around.

I recall back in Austria I never cleaned it....for many thousands of km.....all was terrible worn (already bought second hand), but it didn't seem to cause any problems.

Now of course I try to do it better than before whistling.gif

Here's what the stuff looks like and it is 80 baht a can in Makro. It's thin enough to do a good job cleaning and to penetrate into the links where you really need it. Any oil on the surface only serves to attract particles and cause wear.

attachicon.gifBike Lube.jpg

wd 40 and similar products to those shown are good for cleaning, but little else and will result in increased wear on your drivetrain, especially if it is a modern or more high end system. it is a solvent primarily. though it does have some lubricating properties.

by all means clean it up with this stuff, but buy a decent chain lube from a bike shop if you plan on doing any actual riding.

as for oiling your chain, a good teflon based lube, applied liberally while spinning the cranks and then rubbed off with a rag will leave the internals well lubed without excess oil on the outside of the chain.

Edited by HooHaa

Cleaning your chain is a right ball ache. I spray wd40 and use bits of old rags, t-shirts and towels cut into strips to wipe clean the chain. I relube the clean chain only when i next use that bike. I am thinking to use dry lubes next . Anyone using dry lube? Any good?

I dont enjoy cleaning my chain but i cant ride my bike with a squeaky drivetrain. If i set off with a noisey drivetrain its a U-turn and back home to lube it.

As the shops only charge 200-300bth to completely clean and lube the gears, why would you even bother?

My bike gears and selectors look like new after the shop did it.

Well for me, it's more convenient to do it myself. Take it to the shop and you've lost most of the day, best case it's a couple of hours.

I only take it to the shop if it's something I can't do myself, it's about the time it takes rather than the cost.

As the shops only charge 200-300bth to completely clean and lube the gears, why would you even bother?

My bike gears and selectors look like new after the shop did it.

Because it is calling a taxi, store the bike in it, 100 Baht fee, 100 Baht back, 15-20 min waiting to go there, there pick up a taxi 2-5 min.

Additional the will to be self sufficient