It is good to have Thai driving licence in Chiang Mai

baywatch82

Everybody knows, foreigners pay more than Thai people in many tourist attractions. If you have a Thai driving licence, it can give you Thai price.

So far I was using it for :

- Doi Suthep temple - no fee (ticket 30 baht)

- Night Safari - 300baht (normal ticket 800 baht)

- Chiang Dao national park - 20 baht (normal ticket 200 baht).

If you have more examples, please share it here. Thanks.

Your home address is on the back in Thai, so if you buy something big that you want to have delivered to your home, you simply show them the back of your drivers license and they have your address in Thai.

Almost any time you are asked for your passport, the driving license will do. It has your passport number on it.

Mine doesn't. It has my old passport number plus a few extra digits.

But you're right, it has always been accepted in lieu of a passport, except at Immigration of course.

Edited by mesquite

use it to rent cars in the UK and get cheaper price using Thai address than a UK address.

Have also done this (also handy if you've lost your UK licence paper counterpart).

....which is, fortunately, redundant from June 5.

A few years back I was living just outside of Pattaya. Driving into Pattaya I was stopped by the police. As soon as he knew I had a Thai driving license it was a case of "Ok go". Was even stopped for speeding on the road out of Pattaya. I admitted to the policeman I knew I was but once he saw my Thai license and knew I lived locally it was all smiles and "ok butt please drive slower next time".

So yes it is good to have a Thai driving license.

Edited by gandalf12

lol......yes I seen many an expectant thai cops face drop when he sees my thai drivers licence. One particularly observant individual, in an attempt as a comeback, even claimed my DL was expired and I had renewed it the day before...lol talk about the keystone cops

Wow that is a lot of Good reasons to have a Thai Drivers license. If you don't have one now, you should get one ASAP because they are going to make the test a lot harder.

How hard would it be. We can actually drive to international standards.

Resident prices at most of the golf courses.

Age confirmation for cheaper movie prices.

Cheaper Movie Tickets?

yes, it varies from theatre to theatre, but there are senior citizen discounts available and your TDL will provide necessary proof. However, i find that the discount is not applicable to 3D or 4D movies and in one theater they said only on wednesdays, no IMAX discount and so on... basically, i cannot tailor my viewing needs to their hula jumping hoops, so i just pay my "full" price and enjoy the movie...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wow that is a lot of Good reasons to have a Thai Drivers license. If you don't have one now, you should get one ASAP because they are going to make the test a lot harder.

A lot harder!! Wonder how many would be driving in Thailand if they had to take the test here in the UK even if it was in Thai. Roads there would be quiet of a while thats for sure.