Thai rice producers urged to improve rice quality

webfact

Rice producers urged to improve rice quality

BANGKOK, 12 May 2015 (NNT) - The Thai government is expected to take actions to promote rice exports, after global demand declined during the first quarter of this year.

The Department of International Trade Promotion said that the oversupply of rice from India and Vietnam in the global market has reduced the price and market share of Thai rice.

Thailand has also been unable to grow more rice due to water shortages in many arable areas. The stronger baht has also affected the export of Thai rice, compared to neighboring nations.

Spokesperson for the Prime Minister’s Office Yongyut Maiyalap has encouraged rice producers to improve rice quality, given the demand for high quality grains both domestically and globally.

Many countries have continued to buy rice from Thailand, despite the sluggish global economy.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-12 footer_n.gif

so the poor farmers are being asked to go out and buy expensive fertilizer to improve the quality of their crop but still get the same price for it and therefore less profit and an even poorer family. More Thai logic

Like, the farmers are intentionally growing inferior rice?

Yes in many cases. Where I live most grow ordinary white rice simply because when the canals are always open it is possible to grow 3, sometimes even 4 crops a year. It is nowhere near as tasty as Jasmine rice but because of the quantity it is possible to grow there is more money to be made.

The Jasmine farmers I know here only crop once per year.

Like, the farmers are intentionally growing inferior rice?

Yes. The last government, for 9 harvests, said any old rice will do to qualify for our overpayment scheme. Recent inventory assessments have found that 40% of the rice that the previous government bought was "sub-par". The previous government trained the farmers that quality was not important. Those farmers began growing cheaper/quick-to-harvest strains to maximize their profits. Now that global demand is down, Thailand has to step up its game to stay in the market since their productivity is so low they can't compete on price.

I find all rice 100% tasteless.

Rice is not food , it is a stomach filler for the poor and poorest and cheap charlies like me.

Thai & Indian & all rice based cuisine , is no more than disguising the foul taste with spicy to very spicy sauses or curries.

But the same can be said for just cooked spaggetti , although spraying some cheese on it , makes it yummy.

Don't want to bash , but whether I buy the 100 B/5 kg bag or the 200 B/ 5 kg Thai rice , makes no difference.

Brown rice tastes even more yukkie as do sticky rice .