Prayut denies making traditional clothing mandatory

webfact

Prayut denies making traditional clothing mandatory
The Nation

30259962-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday denied a rumour that he made it mandatory for people to dress in traditional attire every Friday.

He said the media misrepresented him and the fact was that he was merely urging people to wear traditional attire, adding that he wears traditional clothing even while sleeping.

Prayut said he wanted to promote traditional fabrics, including Thai silk, adding that the prints and designs should be changed to match the time of year.

PM's Office Minister ML Panadda Diskul responded to the rumour by saying people can wear what they want and that the government was merely campaigning for traditional fabrics, not making certain attire mandatory. He added that the PM did not want people to be inconvenienced, adding that the aim was to boost the market for Thai silk and traditional hand-woven cotton.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prayut-denies-making-traditional-clothing-mandator-30259962.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-13

Shall we trot out the "what used to be considered traditional dress" pics from 75-100 years ago and speculate on the reactions to seeing women (of all ages and sizes) wondering around topless every Friday ? (I think many TV members see that quite frequently already, at various establishments of an "adult" nature in different parts of the country !)

Could you imagine the business that some places, like Big C and Central Festival (and pretty much every other shopping mall or large company) would do every Friday if their female staff were wearing nothing but a traditional (Thai silk) skirt and a smile !! (Now consider that most of those places are air-conditioned............)

From what I understand if the leader is STRONGLY URGING his underlings to do something then that pretty much means you better do it. Which means mandatory in any other language if you work for the Gov and want to keep your job and make a career.

Not to say that the countries people would look a lot nicer on Fridays but imagine the expense people will have to fork out to adhere to this urgent request?

As for Kerryd reply. Can you imagine the increase in rapes should they revert so far back in their culture? Thai men can't control themselves already with women dressing in short skirts and tight halters.

Edited by thesetat2013

As the months pass by we can see where this guy is heading.

He lives in yesterday land, a nostalgic view of the good old days where the aristocracy controlled every facet of the government.

A time when the barefoot peasants tilled the fields with buffaloes, while the ruling class rode elephants and built huge teak mansions in Bangkok.

Life was good for those at the top, and now it is again.

No ungrateful criticism to spoil the tranquility, no democracy to unsettle the status quo.

What next? Perhaps enforced obeisance on pain of punishment when the PM attends a crowd or weekly processions by the ruler through the streets of Bangkok.

Shall we trot out the "what used to be considered traditional dress" pics from 75-100 years ago and speculate on the reactions to seeing women (of all ages and sizes) wondering around topless every Friday ? (I think many TV members see that quite frequently already, at various establishments of an "adult" nature in different parts of the country !)

Could you imagine the business that some places, like Big C and Central Festival (and pretty much every other shopping mall or large company) would do every Friday if their female staff were wearing nothing but a traditional (Thai silk) skirt and a smile !! (Now consider that most of those places are air-conditioned............)

I'll be spending a lot of time in Kasikorn Bank.

While I wonder what it really means when the top guy says he's simply "encouraging" something, I don't get the all the hostility here toward 'traditional clothing, especially the suggestion that it is a step backwards. Why is it that the whole world needs to look like penguin/clones dressed in western style. Does a western-style suit (or jeans) make you more 'advanced' than wearing a longyi, sarong, etc etc.? I, for one, think it's a little sad that cities across the world have become more similar than different. When I'm in another country, I don't need it to look like 'back home'...

He's just trying to encourage the use of clothing that works best for Thailand's climate. Thai silk fabric is of stronger composition than that sourced from China. My silk bedspreads, and table cloths hold their colour and have been long lasting. My silk shirts are durable and have held up well. All of the clothing I have purchased in Thailand that falls apart after a few washes has been non traditional. My Thai made "traditional" casual wear has held up. Give the guy a break please and don't nit pick.

From what I understand if the leader is STRONGLY URGING his underlings to do something then that pretty much means you better do it. Which means mandatory in any other language if you work for the Gov and want to keep your job and make a career.

Not to say that the countries people would look a lot nicer on Fridays but imagine the expense people will have to fork out to adhere to this urgent request?

As for Kerryd reply. Can you imagine the increase in rapes should they revert so far back in their culture? Thai men can't control themselves already with women dressing in short skirts and tight halters.

If you read things properly you would find understanding them and not misrepresenting them so much easier. There was no "STRONGLY URGING" going on at all and certainly no suggestion that people risked losing their jobs, but don't let facts get in the way of a bash, eh?

"PM's Office Minister ML Panadda Diskul responded to the rumour by saying people can wear what they want and that the government was merely campaigning for traditional fabrics, not making certain attire mandatory. He added that the PM did not want people to be inconvenienced..."

As for your Thai rapists comments perhaps you should revise your very blinkered, bigoted view.

Traditional dress - out with the white linen jacket and Panama Hat on Fridays.

I have an acquaintance here who hails from North of Hadrians Wall. I look forward to him presenting himself at his school in a tartan tam - o - shanter, ginger wig and appropriate tartan Jockanese Fighting Frock.

Oh happy days...

Taking the country backwards one step at a time.

How does that relate?

Why would wearing Thai style clothing have the affect you suggest?

(Ignore the comments about topless women, some posters have forgotten their medication again! wink.png )

Traditional dress - out with the white linen jacket and Panama Hat on Fridays.

I have an acquaintance here who hails from North of Hadrians Wall. I look forward to him presenting himself at his school in a tartan tam - o - shanter, ginger wig and appropriate tartan Jockanese Fighting Frock.

Oh happy days...

Aye, and you'll be there in your powdered white wig, poncy frilly little suit with nice big floppy cravat and false beauty spot ala the Regency, what oh. Don't forget your tricorn hat. Bit too hot for pinstripes and bowler alternative, but the brolly would be useful.

Pics:

1. Thai dress mandate

2. Pre the mandate.

This was a policy of a former military dictator http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaek_Phibunsongkhram and was to make Thais NOT dress in old style but a modern style. This was the clown that built victory (defeat) monument and who introduced Pad Tha (Chinese) and who invented ram wong with his mrs. So much for Thai culture, almost all of it was copied from other countries anyway, along with muay thai, morlam and most of their arts and crafts. Wearing Thai dress on a Friday?, why not go the whole way and wear different colors for each day and ride a buffalo to work.

Edited by dragonfly94