British Embassy ridiculous.

Need a letter from the UK Embassy to say I'm non resident in the U.K. cost 2,500 baht.....but first I have to go to a Thai lawyer and get them to supply me with a letter to inform the U.K. Embassy that I'm non resident in the U.K. cost 7,500 baht. Isn't it great that you have to get a local Thai lawyer to inform The British Embassy that a British citizen isn't resident in Britain, 200 pounds for a piece of paper.......rant over.

Need a letter from the UK Embassy to say I'm non resident in the U.K. cost 2,500 baht.....but first I have to go to a Thai lawyer and get them to supply me with a letter to inform the U.K. Embassy that I'm non resident in the U.K. cost 7,500 baht. Isn't it great that you have to get a local Thai lawyer to inform The British Embassy that a British citizen isn't resident in Britain, 200 pounds for a piece of paper.......rant over.

You seem to have misunderstood what you were actually told. You could complete a 'stat dec' that they could witness, but they'd rather that you do it locally at considerably less cost and without the need to travel to bkk. A press release to that effect was widely circulated some 18 months ago inc here on TV. Edited by evadgib

You seem to have misunderstood what you were actually told. You could complete a 'stat dec' that they could witness, but they'd rather that you do it locally at considerably less cost and without the need to travel to bkk. A press release to that effect was widely circulated some 18 months ago inc here on TV.
We need it for adoption was given a leaflet from the embassy saying I needed proof certified by a lawyer and given a list of Thai lawyers, tried to find out if I could do myself but no joy not even any help from them when I emailed to inquire.

A few other things have cropped up on other threads about the inefficiency of the British Embassy in Bangkok.

I have no experience of other embassies in Thailand or other British Embassies around the globe. The experience I do have of Bangkok is that we, as British citizens, are poorly served.

Maybe, like others, I had an inflated opinion of what services and support the British Embassy offers. I quickly discovered from personal dealings, and on behalf of others) that the support is quite poor.

One personal gripe is their total lack of courtesy. Many Brits believe that the embassy can help at the time of death (several Farangs have told their teeraks that the embassy will pay funeral costs - and even a pension! smile.png ). This is clearly untrue and in fact they do bugger-all.

I am involved in helping Thai widows to claim bereavement benefits etc that they are duly entitled to. I wrote to the embassy (and directly to the ambassador) to offer to be a contact point if they received such enquiries - obviously I understood that it was not their remit and were busy on other embassy matters. Not an acknowledgement, not even a 'sod off we are not interested' - nothing.

A few other things have cropped up on other threads about the inefficiency of the British Embassy in Bangkok.

I have no experience of other embassies in Thailand or other British Embassies around the globe. The experience I do have of Bangkok is that we, as British citizens, are poorly served.

Maybe, like others, I had an inflated opinion of what services and support the British Embassy offers. I quickly discovered from personal dealings, and on behalf of others) that the support is quite poor.

One personal gripe is their total lack of courtesy. Many Brits believe that the embassy can help at the time of death (several Farangs have told their teeraks that the embassy will pay funeral costs - and even a pension! smile.png ). This is clearly untrue and in fact they do bugger-all.

I am involved in helping Thai widows to claim bereavement benefits etc that they are duly entitled to. I wrote to the embassy (and directly to the ambassador) to offer to be a contact point if they received such enquiries - obviously I understood that it was not their remit and were busy on other embassy matters. Not an acknowledgement, not even a 'sod off we are not interested' - nothing.

So the British Embassy staff in Bangkok are being blamed for some old bugger either lying to his wife or being totally ignorant of his status in the grand scheme of things? They are also now responsible for the total inability of some others to take care of personal issues long before they drop dead?

I see.

• 2 weeks later...

MOVED to Home Country

I feel the same way about the "income" letter @ 2500 baht each year, for just a template print-out. Scandalous.

This maybe the case. I did indeed experiment with a templete type letter ;last time 300 baht and sailed through

So the British Embassy staff in Bangkok are being blamed for some old bugger either lying to his wife or being totally ignorant of his status in the grand scheme of things? They are also now responsible for the total inability of some others to take care of personal issues long before they drop dead?

I see.

Read the post properly and stop trying to be a smart-ar5e !

I am blaming the British Embassy for the discourtesy of not replying to my communication. I am blaming staff for nothing - please be more careful in wording your responses in future and avoid misquoting me.

That communication offered to provide a link to advice that the British Embassy do not provide.

Not all expats are as smart as you and do not have the capability to guide their wives in what to do at the time of their demise. In any event Thai wives (widows|) rarely have a clue how to go about receiving what they are entitled to. many believe that (as widows of British citizens) the British Embassy is there to help them. They are not - and, yes, some unscrupulous expats may have lied about that; others may actually believe it to be true.

You are naive in the extreme if you believe that all expats 'take care of personal issues long before they are dead'. Many are not aware what their wives might be entitled to, and even less how to claim them.

Yes, many people are naïve and or too lazy to make the required provision for their family after their death.

But how is that the embassy's fault?

I am certain that over the course of a year they get lot's of letters from people offering their services; but the embassy is not a classified ads section and they do not have the time to reply to all.

On the embassy website you will find Living in Thailand which, amongst other advice, contains a link to the International Pension Centre where one can obtain information and advice on bereavement benefits etc.

So why should they act as a referral centre for your business?

Yes, many people are naïve and or too lazy to make the required provision for their family after their death.

But how is that the embassy's fault?

I am certain that over the course of a year they get lot's of letters from people offering their services; but the embassy is not a classified ads section and they do not have the time to reply to all.

On the embassy website you will find Living in Thailand which, amongst other advice, contains a link to the International Pension Centre where one can obtain information and advice on bereavement benefits etc.

So why should they act as a referral centre for your business?

That certainly is not the embassy's fault - I never suggested it was.

It is NOT. That is not an issue - I was simply seeking to offer another option.

The fact remains that there are widows who are missing on benefits, to which they are entitled, and many erroneously believe (or have been told) that the British Embassy is there to help them. An astute expat may well have prepared forms (e.g. for DWP) and may also a British friend who can guide the widow. However, I am sure you will understand that many do not, cannot and their widows are left helpless. In a couple of cases where widows did try and contact IPC they were both (incorrectly) told that they were not eligible because they were living in Thailand.

As for being a referral centre, I was simply asking them to consider giving out contact details to help the enquirer and enable them to say "sorry, we don't deal with that but these people do...".

I could cope with my advances being rejected - what I cannot abide is the discourtesy of not even having an acknowledgement.

Do you acknowledge all the unsolicited mail you receive?

I would respond to any that may have an interest for me..

Unreasonable comparison, in any event - my communication was focused in area where the embassy receive enquiries but cannot provide a service.

I don't consider myself to be junk mail.

I'm sure you don't consider yourself to be junk mail; but it seems the embassy does; probably because they receive many similar offers daily.

Maybe my mistake was thinking that they could differentiate between the two! smile.png

I'm sure you don't consider yourself to be junk mail; but it seems the embassy does; probably because they receive many similar offers daily.

Maybe my mistake was thinking that they could differentiate between the two! smile.png

Are you qualified in any way to offer this service? legal training or a track record in citizen's advice in the UK for example?

I don't want to put the boot in, but I get the idea that you are of the type that thinks merely being born British anoints you with some superior, do-goodery powers.

So here's a quick story for you; I know a member of this forum who is actively trying to prevent a British daughter from inheriting a modest amount of money from her now-deceased Dad. This guy has decided that his Thai wife should get the dough. The father was terminally ill for a while - and didn't go to the trouble of making either a will, or transferring the money to Thailand.

So - witless wonder - the real Rule Britannia type - leapt into action. Half-wit Harry, he knows best. It has never occurred to him that the father - who had plenty of opportunity to transfer the funds - didn't do so for a reason.

What would you do in that situation? Me? - I'd stay out of it and leave it to the courts.

Anyway - you want to don a cape and run to the rescue of damsels. Just supposing you're a con man? Con men would love to get a grip on the financial affairs of the deceased - especially when they have a gullible foreign wife to manipulate.

How long would the thread on Thaivisa be is it were known that the Embassy had given credence/details/support to a con man who ripped off widows and estates blind?

Are you starting to see a flaw in your cunning plan?

Do you still think the British Embassy was wrong to ignore you?

it's not the role of the embassy to pay funeral costs or pay a pension to a widow so you cant criticise them for not doing something they shouldnt be doing.

why would you write to the embassy about bereavement benefit, they wont have the necessary information. write to the relevant government department in the uk who will and who will be able to help you.

As you say: "obviously I understood that it was not their remit " You are at least correct on this issue,it is not the remit of the British Embassy,you should try the Department of Works and Pensions. The British Embassy is not a forwarding Agency for misdirected enquiries, Good Luck!

"I am involved in helping Thai widows to claim bereavement benefits etc that they are duly entitled to. I wrote to the embassy (and directly to the ambassador) to offer to be a contact point if they received such enquiries - obviously I understood that it was not their remit and were busy on other embassy matters. Not an acknowledgement, not even a 'sod off we are not interested' - nothing"

As you say: "obviously I understood that it was not their remit " You are at least correct on this issue,it is not the remit of the British Embassy,you should try the Department of Works and Pensions. The British Embassy is not a forwarding Agency for misdirected enquiries, Good Luck!

Are you qualified in any way to offer this service? legal training or a track record in citizen's advice in the UK for example?

I don't want to put the boot in, but I get the idea that you are of the type that thinks merely being born British anoints you with some superior, do-goodery powers.

So here's a quick story for you; I know a member of this forum who is actively trying to prevent a British daughter from inheriting a modest amount of money from her now-deceased Dad. This guy has decided that his Thai wife should get the dough. The father was terminally ill for a while - and didn't go to the trouble of making either a will, or transferring the money to Thailand.

So - witless wonder - the real Rule Britannia type - leapt into action. Half-wit Harry, he knows best. It has never occurred to him that the father - who had plenty of opportunity to transfer the funds - didn't do so for a reason.

What would you do in that situation? Me? - I'd stay out of it and leave it to the courts.

Anyway - you want to don a cape and run to the rescue of damsels. Just supposing you're a con man? Con men would love to get a grip on the financial affairs of the deceased - especially when they have a gullible foreign wife to manipulate.

How long would the thread on Thaivisa be is it were known that the Embassy had given credence/details/support to a con man who ripped off widows and estates blind?

The law will determine what will happen and if anyone was stupid enough not to set out their wishes in a Will then the matter will be determined by the rules of intestacy. That means that the widow will inherit.

Academic now as widows domiciled in Thailand will not be eligible from April 2016..................... maybe the British Embassy of a level of perception that I did credit them with.

Bereavement support payment

30 Bereavement support payment

(1) A person is entitled to a benefit called bereavement support payment if—

(a) the person’s spouse or civil partner dies,

(b )the person is under pensionable age when the spouse or civil partner dies,

(c )the person is ordinarily resident in Great Britain, or a specified territory, when the spouse or civil partner dies, and

(d)the contribution condition is met (see section 31).

You have an interesting perspective on life - flawed, but interesting.

Yes - I still believe the embassy was wrong in not responding to my letter.

Related insight:

"The role of the FCO Contact Centres is to help enable consular staff to focus on what is important and to concentrate on those in need, but we continue to receive misdirected enquiries from British nationals," said Head of the FCO’s Global Contact Centres, Meg Williams.

"In 2014, 38 percent of calls we received were not related to consular support at all, for example one man asked us to help find his son’s missing suitcase, which had been lost by a British airliner," she added.

Recent research revealed that the number of people who have knowledge of what embassies and consulates do has dropped to the lowest in three years among young people (aged 16-24), from 62 percent in 2011 to 55 percent in 2014.

http://www.thelocal.es/20150227/the-strangest-requests-made-by-brits-abroad

Edited by evadgib

"It is important for our FCO consular staff to be able to focus on our most vulnerable customers, such as victims of crime," said FCO minister, David Lidington, in a statement.

"We will always try to help where we can but there are limits to what we can do, so it’s important for people to be aware of how we can help."

http://www.thelocal.es/20150227/the-strangest-requests-made-by-brits-abroad

Perhaps a more relevant link would be this one:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/406094/Information_Relating_to_Deaths_in_Thailand_February_2015_-_lastest_edition.pdf

Information Relating to Deaths in Thailand

The death of a relative or a friend can be a traumatic experience

When a death occurs overseas in Thailand family and friends in the UK or those who were travelling/living with the deceased in Thailand, can feel additional distress if they are unfamiliar with Thai procedures and perhaps are unable to communicate in Thai

You may be uncertain about what to do next or who to contact for advice. Staff in the Consular Directorate of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in London and our Embassy in Bangkok stand ready to help you as far as they can

Up