Worlds Best Airport Landings

Then there was always the now defunct Kai Tak / Hong Kong -- HARD right turn on final full flaps full gear down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3PCOcyt7BPI

Kai Tak was the coolest. I've landed at some spectacular airports in the past, but nothing beats skimming the rooftops and making the turn onto the runway at Kai-Tak. Taking off and cruising down the middle of HK Harbour was great too, especially at night. A real pilot's airport.

Worst landing / Bhutan. The pilots couldn't find the runway at first ... and the

cockpit computer was calling them "retards" just before touchdown. (Not really!) LOL

Edited by Fullstop

Brilliant clip!

I must admit that landings at old Kai Tak were really neat too since I lived there for

15 years. The takeoff's were great if heading to Europe or N. America and the winds

dictated the aircraft depart over Kowloon Tong...low & just the reverse of the landings.

Paro in Bhutan is also neat...snaky approach up a valley...video is on the same page

as the OP's. As a film maker I have flown into some interesting airports; some landings

were really hairy & so were takeoff's. Borneo has some beautiful approaches and they're

quite dangerous. Nepal has some hairy approaches...even KTM can be quite difficult.

One of my favourites used to be the approach to old Subang (Kuala Lumpur), low over

hectares upon hectares of oil palm estates...a beautiful rolling sea of green.

Now it's all cement high rises.

Edited by sunshine51

Did the landing into old Kai Tak countless times and never really enjoyed it due to wind sheers that could happen at any time. They could just move the plane around and it was a tough time with the stick. Newer planes, with their automated systems would make it a lot easier.

I believe it is a jet landing at Queensland. aus or nz.

Didn't ask where it was landing, the youtube post clearly says it was at ZQN

Was asking the specific aircraft type, wondered if anyone knew.

Thought it might have been a turboprop, but on further viewing maybe A320?

I believe it is a jet landing at Queensland. aus or nz.

Didn't ask where it was landing, the youtube post clearly says it was at ZQN

Was asking the specific aircraft type, wondered if anyone knew.

Thought it might have been a turboprop, but on further viewing maybe A320?

Done the Queenstown trip many a time. Biggest they have there are 737-800's although last year the RNZAF landed a 757 there.

The only experience that beats landing in Queenstown is flying in a heli in the NZ mountains at tree top level (even though there ain't no trees) along a high mountain plateau and then going over the edge to see a beautiful vista below your feet and maybe a five or six thousand foot drop. It sure puts your heart in your mouth.

I was lucky enough to score a few free trips as a kid back in the deer trapping days - cowboys hanging out the door with a netting gun hunting wild deer to domesticate. The flight over those bluffs were amazing, especially when the pilot knew he had a newbie on board and deliberately lurched the chopper into a semi dive at the appropriate time. I was assured that he'd made more than one bloke literally piss their pants - luckily I wasn't one of them. whistling.gif

This has probably been posted before...but still a great video!!!! Amazing.

Nice 'Paradise" accompaniement too, from (the unnecessarily reviled by some) Coldplay!

This has probably been posted before...but still a great video!!!! Amazing.

Nice 'Paradise" accompaniement too, from (the unnecessarily reviled by some) Coldplay!

A fellow NMTB watcher perhaps? I too like this song by Coldplay (just don't tell Noel Fielding)

If anyone is interested and doesn't know, the way a pilot can skim mountaintops and rooftops and be assured of not hitting them is to keep the target moving down in the windshield. If a mountain ridge is stationary or moving up in the windshield, followed to logical conclusion the plane will hit it.

To arrive exactly at the end of a runway, simply keep that spot stationary in the windshield until you are very short final and then begin the flare for landing.

This is all very clear in the OP vid first skimming the ridges and watching them drop, then watching the clouds rise until they are above the windshield as the plane descends into them. Then the end of the runway is stationary as the plane is on final.

The reason the planes are almost sideways at such an acute angle in the one vid is about flying with a strong crosswind and not getting blown off the runway center line.

Nice vids BTW.

MAE HONG SON must be the most interesting approach in Thailand.... and not for the faint hearted when you just fly a few meters above the trees on the hills near the airfield.... Yogyakarta is great too when the skies are clear and you can have a peek into the steaming caldera of the volcanoes.....